'13 Honda VFR1200 Motul 10w-50, 5,300 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oil Type: Motul 5100 10w-50 Blend
Filter- Wix WL1000
Make Up Quarts-0
Miles on Unit-6,000
Miles on Oil-5300

We're seeing some excess iron and silicon in this oil, but our suspicion at this point is that they're related to lingering wear-in, and will improve with time. The viscosity was a little light, but that's harmless. The TBN is fine at 4.6. Averages are based on 2000 miles. Try 6,500 miles.

MANGANESE-2
ALUMINUM-14
CHROMIUM-1
IRON-38
COPPER-16
LEAD-2
TIN-2
MOLYBDENUM-31
NICKEL-1
SILVER-0
TITANIUM-0
POTASSIUM-7
BORON-15
SILICON-19
SODIUM-7
CALCIUM-1993
MAGNESIUM-11
PHOSPHORUS-851
ZINC-977
BARIUM-3

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F-54.9
cSt Viscosity @ 100°C-8.74
Flashpoint in °F-390
Fuel %- Antifreeze-0
Water-0
Insolubles-Trace
TBN-4.6

In- Xado 10w-40
Baldwin B1400

10w_40_4t_ma_1l_4e79e6ae147b2.jpg

B1400.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JetStar
I have always been intrigued by the VFR1200 and would like to ride one. Is yours the std or DCT transmission?

Standard. I love it. It's like a sportbike with out all of the squid graphics.

I dont know, it seems in these UOAs whenever a 5w anything oil is used in a bike, no matter the cost it shears down and in this case a real shame as that is really expensive oil.
I assume the manufacturer takes much of the shearing into account but I think with this oil is at an extreme.
(nice bike btw)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Why did Honda stop making this bike?

They were expensive originally ($16k), and have smaller gas tanks (touring range), and less luggage capacity....compared to all of the other Sport Tourers. I can go 180 miles on a tank if I want to push it. I can go 240 on the Goldwing. I didn't buy mine to tour on however, just 3-4 hour rides within 100 miles of my house on very rural farm roads. I did get a custom seat, but that's the only mod I plan on.

I got mine last Summer brand new for $9,999.00.

For $16k, I would have chosen several other bikes instead.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Ugh ... should have said, ( to late to edit)
5w or 10w (with a large spread 5/40 or 10/50) always seems to shear no matter the cost of the oil.

I'm going to see how this Xado does, then maybe go to a 20w40 or 20w50. I give this thing he**.

I would try a 15/40 like Rotella T or Delo 400
On my two Hondas I've ran the B1400(2 5/8") B1402(3 1/2") B1431(4") B161-S(4 1/16") B168(5 3/32") and B199(5 1/8") the last two on my Valkyrie

If you find that your oil still shears a lot you could add a qt. of straight 40wt. or 50wt.
http://rotella.shell.com/products/t1.html
I do this in my bikes, I do ride in very hot weather in the summer(105+ F) and this has made my oil more stable over the 4500 to 5000 miles I run my oil in the summer. I run 15/40 in winter.

ROD

Originally Posted By: rrounds
I would try a 15/40 like Rotella T or Delo 400
On my two Hondas I've ran the B1400(2 5/8") B1402(3 1/2") B1431(4") B161-S(4 1/16") B168(5 3/32") and B199(5 1/8") the last two on my Valkyrie

If you find that your oil still shears a lot you could add a qt. of straight 40wt. or 50wt.
http://rotella.shell.com/products/t1.html
I do this in my bikes, I do ride in very hot weather in the summer(105+ F) and this has made my oil more stable over the 4500 to 5000 miles I run my oil in the summer. I run 15/40 in winter.

ROD

I may just try that, Thanks.

Despite Motul claims of this oil being resistant to shearing, it looks like a 50 became a 20 in 5300 miles. Indeed the wear numbers don't seem alarming for the first oil change on a new bike, so the shearing may not have been problematic. I certainly wouldn't use it again though. A narrower spread oil may be a better choice for a summer driven machine. I'm sufficiently confident a 15W40 HDEO would do just as well for much less money.

A couple of the comments imply this oil is a syn or expensive. Proper perspective is that this is Motuls' lowest priced motorcycle oil and is a blend. Not cheap nonetheless.

OP
you says the low susvis is fine but have you metalurgically verified that all of the gears in your tranny dont have any micropitting?
have you proven that none of your thrust bearings dont have any galling or streaks?

care to explain where that manganese came from?

your oil was how many grades below the recommended?

Originally Posted By: sunruh
OP
you says the low susvis is fine but have you metalurgically verified that all of the gears in your tranny dont have any micropitting?
have you proven that none of your thrust bearings dont have any galling or streaks?

Blackstone says the low vis was fine, not me. What is your point of bombarding me with questions, when all I did was simply post my results? The Bike calls for a 600 mile oil change, and 8,000 mile oci's thereafter, on petroleum oil. So tell me where I did something wrong.....

Originally Posted By: montero1
Originally Posted By: sunruh
OP

Blackstone says the low vis was fine, not me. What is your point of bombarding me with questions, when all I did was simply post my results? The Bike calls for a 600 mile oil change, and 8,000 mile oci's thereafter, on petroleum oil. So tell me where I did something wrong.....

IIRC, the Motul 5100 in this viscocity was tested by Sunruh in his bike and came out with a glowing result... may explain his questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back