CASTROL EDGE VS CASTROL EDGE EP

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I am at a crossroads; do I use Edge black jug or edge EP? Read a lot of good on both oils. I am considering M1 EP also. Thank you in advance. Vehicle is a 2011 Ford Focus that does 90% highway and maybe 10%~ short drives

Is the EP for extended intervals? If you are extending the intervals yes if not no.

Gang: I am kinda torn actually between the MAGNATEC syn 5w20 and the EDGE EP. I ran regular EDGE to 8,400 miles and used NAPA kit for UOA. Nothing special and the TBN was like 3.1. Hence why I am contemplating the EDGE EP or MAGNATEC; plus the good UOA's on MAGNATEC I see so far. maybe bbhero can shed some light & info as well

Originally Posted By: car51
Gang: I am kinda torn actually between the MAGNATEC syn 5w20 and the EDGE EP. I ran regular EDGE to 8,400 miles and used NAPA kit for UOA. Nothing special and the TBN was like 3.1. Hence why I am contemplating the EDGE EP or MAGNATEC; plus the good UOA's on MAGNATEC I see so far. maybe bbhero can shed some light & info as well

You will probably like Magnatec. It is the only oil that I have ever used that I thought made a difference in how smooth the engine runs. I am going back to it for next OCI.

That's good to hear sir. Yeah, I am thinking of that or EDGE black jug

I have used Black and Gold bottles of Edge, and I like the Magnetec best of all.

Thanks for the info, I hopefully will give the MAGNATEC a try. Thank you again
smile.gif

Well Captain I have run the Castrol gold bottle with very positive results. It has run very well in my Fusion and Altima. It's funny that the Castrol msds is very secretive in what makes up their "highly refined" base oil. I'm not knocking them at all for that. It's just interesting compared to their 0w40 and 0w30 msds which do specify what's in those oils. I may be wrong but it could be that the gold bottle is their gtl version of full synthetics. The gold bottles meet ACEA A1/B1, Dexos, and HTO-06. I strongly suspect that it still meets the ACEA A5 gasoline side of this specification but they haven't made the adjustments to help it make the B5 diesel part of this specification. It's also possible that they have made the changes needed to pass it but haven't submitted it for testing to pass it just yet.

Given the very good results with the Magnatec version I would believe it's more than capable of running up to 10k miles. Very good TBN retention and viscosity retention makes this very possible. Plus added that you are running wide open highway driving 90% of the time than this would lead to it making 10k miles. Plus the recent discussion of the Dexos specification testing could very likely result in this oil being 75% synthetic. Which means this oil is a fine buy at $18 plus tax for a 5 qt container at Walmart.

Last edited:
Well, I will flip a coin tomorrow on edge EP or MAGNATEC. Thank you bbhero for the info and I haven't found Shannows link.

Shannow: can you send me the link on the Magnarec you shared here; j didn't find it. Thank you sir
smile.gif

Hey man this presentation is on the thread "DEXOS must be synthetic". The link is on the first page and it starts with "pco...". This presentation is from Lubrizol about they have to use group 3s in order to pass the Dexos specification. In attempting to get NOACK down and such. Very interesting. Ohh and you posted a picture of Valvoline Synthetic blend 5w30 that obviously is Dexos approved.

Last edited:
2.0 non-DI?

Magnatec for 300 gallons.
Edge for 400 gallons.
Edge EP for 500 gallons.

I'll let you do the math to see what that is in miles in your application. Assuming the warranty is done of course.

I believe the 2.0 is not di. I have 74k on my Focus and yeah it's out of warranty. Seems very easy on oil as oil is never real dark or bad looking at oil change time.

I believe the 2.0 is not di. I have 74k on my Focus and yeah it's out of warranty. Seems very easy on oil as oil is never real dark or bad looking at oil change time.

2003-2011 is multi-port, 2012-Present is direct injection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back