15k Extended Drain Synthetics Other Than M1/C EP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know there are fancy extended drain oils made by Royal Purple and Amsoil. But what extended drain oils are there on the shelf of a normal store (like Wallyworld) other than Mobil 1 Extended Performance (and Castrol Extended Performance)?

I'm thinking only about oils that are explicitly designed to go 15k or more. I can't think of another off-the-shelf brand that (on the box) explicitly guarantees that it goes 15k. I can't think of a Pennzoil or Valvoline oil that guarantees and is labeled for 15k extended drain. Am I missing something?

Although not explicitly advertised, ACEA A3/B4 certified oils should be able to do it. So M1 0W40, GC 0W30, GC 0W40, etc. They are formulated for European drain intervals.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: WillsYoda
Are there any others?

Sorry about that. Should've read your post completely before responding.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: WillsYoda
Are there any others?

Sorry about that. Should've read your post completely before responding.
thumbsup2.gif

NP. I made it hard to read.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
Although not explicitly advertised, ACEA A3/B4 certified oils should be able to do it. So M1 0W40, GC 0W30, GC 0W40, etc. They are formulated for European drain intervals.

Correct but M1 EP is a A5/B5 and is extended drain.

Originally Posted By: macarose
What is GC?

German Castrol, or made in Germany 0W-30 Castrol

IMG_1492.jpg

Any name brand, full synthetic, Euro rated oil is a long drain oil.

Look for ACEA A3/B4 or A5/B5.

The best also carry long life car manufacturer specs,
I look for a oil that is A3/B4, MB 229.5, BMW LL-01.

Apart from M1 and Castol Edge 0W-40, I can also get Valvoline SynPower 0W-40, Edge 5W-30 A3/B4, Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 (PPU Euro) and a few others.

Originally Posted By: SR5

Apart from M1 and Castol Edge 0W-40, I can also get Valvoline SynPower 0W-40, Edge 5W-30 A3/B4, Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 (PPU Euro) and a few others.

I don't think Euro rating means anything other than synthetic. Most synthetic oils are rated A5/B5, including vanilla (non-EP) M1 and PP.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Originally Posted By: SR5

I don't think Euro rating means anything other than synthetic. Most synthetic oils are rated A5/B5, including vanilla (non-EP) M1 and PP.

Depends on which Euro rating you are talking about.

A3/B4 is high HTHS, min TBN of 10.

A5/B5 is low HTHS, min TBN of 8.

A3/B4 meets BMW, MB, VW, Porsche manufacturer specs. A5/B5 doesn't.

Going back to OP's question, those manufacturers use extended drain intervals, so I think A3/B4 are designed to go 15k or more, although not stated explicitly on bottle like with M1 EP.

Last edited:
The ACEA sequences are a fairly high standard, more than API SN.

For example to be SN the Noack needs to be 15% or lower, to be A3/B4 or A5/B5 then Noack need to be 13% or lower. I believe MB 229.5 is lower again at 10%.

Also ACEA oils have tests and requirements that SN oils do not have to meet.
For example a "Stay in Grade" shear stability test (which means cheap VII's can't be used in the formulation), or a min TBN of 10.0 for A3/B4. These are some of the Euro requirements to be considered a stable, long life oil, that the MB229.5 and BMW LL-01 tests are based on.

Here is a copy of the ACEA sequences
https://www.acea.be/uploads/publications/2012_ACEA_Oil_Sequences.pdf

Look at the PQIA synthetic data
http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/Marchsyntheticsallfinal.html
How many of the these oils have a TBN of 10 or more?

Nothing wrong with the oils above, but most of them would not be able to earn A3/B4, maybe some could make A5/B5 though.

Any high-quality synthetic will meet ACEA. There is nothing magic about ACEA other than being synthetic oil. In that sense, GM dexos is very similar to ACEA. Synthetic is what makes ACEA long-drain.

ACEA doesn't answer OP's question at all, which was the EP versions. Both vanilla and EP versions of M1 and Castrol meet exactly the same ACEA specs; so, ACEA is nonissue here.

On top of all this discussion, the fine print in EP oils as well as car manufacturer will tell yo to stick with the recommended OCI. So, you extend the OCI at your own risk, regardless of what oil (conventional, synthetic, EP, etc.) you use.

Not all synthetic 5w-30s in SN/GF-5 do, however, claim ACEA A5/B5 or even A1/B1. The two tiers of Pennzoil, Mobil, and Castrol certainly do. QSUD is a little more hazy on its ACEA specifications, and Formula Shell doesn't claim any, yet I'd consider those two to be high quality synthetics as well. Petro-Canada and Eneos do not claim A1/B1 or A5/B5, either.

PUP can probably handle 15k as well, even though not advertised as such. So can RP HPS, and possibly their MHX too.

Also, keep in mind that any oil designed for certain cars/specs that have long OCI's (usually German makes like Porsche and Mercedes) have to work for 15k by default. They're not advertised as 15k on the label, but they should still count.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Not all synthetic 5w-30s in SN/GF-5 do, however, claim ACEA A5/B5 or even A1/B1. The two tiers of Pennzoil, Mobil, and Castrol certainly do. QSUD is a little more hazy on its ACEA specifications, and Formula Shell doesn't claim any, yet I'd consider those two to be high quality synthetics as well. Petro-Canada and Eneos do not claim A1/B1 or A5/B5, either.

M1 has downgraded their ACEA compliance within the past year. That is, none of their 20-wt M1's meet ACEA anymore, and their 30's are now only A1/B1 rather than the A5/B5 they used to be. M1 HM 10w30 and 10w40 are now A3/B3 instead of A3/B4, as are the non-HM 10w40 and 15w50. The only M1 A3/B4 left is the 0w40.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Any high-quality synthetic will meet ACEA. There is nothing magic about ACEA other than being synthetic oil. In that sense, GM dexos is very similar to ACEA. Synthetic is what makes ACEA long-drain.

I disagree, for reasons already discussed in this thread.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
PUP can probably handle 15k as well, even though not advertised as such.

I just wish Shell would jump on that; I suspect they could cure a lot of PUP problems very quickly that. way.
wink.gif

Also, keep in mind that any oil designed for certain cars/specs that have long OCI's (usually German makes like Porsche and Mercedes) have to work for 15k by default. They're not advertised as 15k on the label, but they should still count.

They still should, but we still have to be cautious about sump size and such things. However, all things being equal, I would gather that an A3/B4 type lubricant would be able to go longer on an OCI than a basic A5/B5 lubricant.

I'm not convinced about the M1 issue and A5/B5 any more than I am with QSUD and A5/B5. The M1 labeling and the data sheet and the website don't quite match, so I'm really not sure which side of the fence the A5/B5 matter has fallen on. Of course, no one really looks at A5/B5 in North America except us, anyhow. Mobil does have precedent for having screwy labels on their jugs. I've mentioned elsewhere where they wrote one of the wrong ACEA specifications on Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40, a spec that is long, long obsolete, and that error has even stuck around with the label redesign. Mobil is usually quite careful about such things, but there is precedent for a screwup.

QSUD's 5w-30 ACEA stuff seems to have fallen off their data sheets, too, and I'm not sure what to think there, either. Did these companies just not wish to bother anymore, since almost no one cares? Did it coincide with when the ACEA 2012 specifications were supposed to be replaced by the 2014 ones, but were delayed? Do the products indeed not meet them any longer?

So, that's why I disagree with Gokhan, but don't disagree with Gokhan.
wink.gif
His point is valid, if we're darned careful, and your comments make that clear. M1 and M1 EP are still marketed and guaranteed as long drain oils, regardless of the ACEA sequences. Same would go for Amsoil and RP. Eneos is probably quite capable, despite not having A1/B1 A5/B5, at least in its North American guise. But, there are some rather weak things out there marketed as synthetic.

On the other hand, one could probably find rather equal performance between M1, QSUD, and PP, despite the vagueness of ACEA matters lately on the first two, and the clarity on the latter one. I just wish the oil companies didn't have a history of laziness when it came to bottle labeling and data sheets, and we wouldn't be spitting into the wind like we are here.

As for Mobil 1 HM stuff, I wonder about the timing of the stuff in relation to the delay of replacing ACEA 2012, and the other little possibilities I've already put forward. So, Mobil 1 has no Chrysler spec because Mobil is annoyed with Chrysler. They put a ridiculously out of date ACEA specification on Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 labels of two different designs (but not on the sheet or website). And, the ACEA specifications on M1 PCMOs have been mysteriously reshuffled.

They blew through their ink budget on the dexos1 markings. That has to be it. PP and PU won't waste ink on mileage warranties, QSUD yanked the ACEA stuff, and M1 cut the ACEA specs, all to save ink. I've got it!
wink.gif

PUP can probably handle 15k as well, even though not advertised as such. So can RP HPS, and possibly their MHX too.

Originally Posted By: Garak

M1 has downgraded their ACEA compliance within the past year. That is, none of their 20-wt M1's meet ACEA anymore, and their 30's are now only A1/B1 rather than the A5/B5 they used to be. M1 HM 10w30 and 10w40 are now A3/B3 instead of A3/B4, as are the non-HM 10w40 and 15w50. The only M1 A3/B4 left is the 0w40.

Interesting observations. I had another look at the PQIA data, a few years old yes, but still a good snap-shot.

Formula Shell had no ACEA rating.
QSUD had a older 2002 ACEA A5 only.
PP had the modern ACEA A1/B1.
PU had the modern ACEA A/B1 plus the better A5/B5.

All products from SOPUS of the same era. All good products.

But it looks to me like SOPUS and ACEA both rank the products in the same order. To me that is what makes the ACEA standards so useful, it allows you an independent assessment of quality.

Oh, and for the record ACEA doesn't simply equal synthetic, but I do think it equals quality. I have seen A3/B3 mineral oils and A3/B4 semi-synthetics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back