Need some Oil help 2015 Hyundia Veloster TGDI

Status
Not open for further replies.
first, I have been using Mobil 1 since my first car... and I have it in everything I own that uses oil (air compressor, lawn mowers, snowblower, ect..)

So I just bought a new 2015 Hyundia Veloster Turbo (TGDI), the owners manual list this for the turbo model..
API Service SM, ILSAC,GF-4,ACEA A5 or above and either 5w-30 or 5w-40

so... I have been using 5w-30 Mobil 1 EP in my other cars, but that doesn't meet the ACEA A5 rating, it shows ACEA A1/B1 but meets the other ratings..

the Regular Mobil 1 says ACEA A1/B1, A5/B5 and meets the other ratings (so looks to me that I would need to use the regular Mobil 1???

also, since it's a turbo I think I would be better with the 5w-40, but they don't offer that....

I do see there is a 0w-40 but the ACEA for that is A3/B3, A3/B4 (and this is were I'm confused, from searching it would seam this is better than A5??? is that true?
but also, this oil doesn't have the ILSAC GF-5 or API SM ratings...

oh, and there is the turbo truck diesel 5w-40, that list the specs as - API CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4/SM, SL, SJ
ACEA E7 Issue 2
Caterpillar ECF-2,ECF-3
According to ExxonMobil, Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 is of the following quality level:
CG-4

I'm really loosing my mind on this, I only had the car for 1 week, have just over 200miles on it, and plan to do the first change at 1k, but wanted to make sure I get the best oil to put in... guess I'm a little OCD...

Last edited by a moderator:
What about Pennzoil Ultra 5W40? Might be hard to find in stores, but you could order from Amazon. Also I guarantee that your local Fiat dealer stocks it.

I'd also go for 5W40 over 5W30.

Originally Posted By: HyundaiGuy
What about Pennzoil Ultra 5W40?

It does not meet ACEA A5 nor ILSAC GF-4, if that is truly what his engine requires.

Actually, I'm not aware of any 5w-40 oil that would meet the ILSAC fuel economy requirements.

The performance specs are an either/or type of affair chap

You are in the US so just find an API SM/ILSAC GF4 or higher in 5w-30 or 5w-40

ACEA specs are European approval specs with ACEA A5's being xw-30 oils

Last edited:
Mobil started an ACEA downgrade over the summer, in its entire lineup you will not find any A5/B5, we are still debating the possible reasons. My cars also call for an ACEA A5/B5 but the only oils with that rating are: Castrol Edge, Castrol Edge EP, Pennzoil Platinum and Pennzoil Ultra, all in 5W-30 flavor. I opted to use Edge EP for one and PP for the other.

A3/B4 and A5/B5 are almost indentical in terms of performance, the main difference is the HTHS viscosity. Your car is or was designed to use a low HTHS oil and will not benefit for the use of a higher viscosity like A3/B4.

I recommend to use Castrol Edge EP and wait to see if Mobil in the future could obtain the ACEA certifications.

Originally Posted By: riggaz
The performance specs are an either/or type of affair chap

You are in the US so just find an API SM/ILSAC GF4 or higher in 5w-30 or 5w-40

ACEA specs are European approval specs with ACEA A5's being xw-30 oils

Exactly. In fact, if you have a service plan with Kia/Hyundai, the oil you'll get is Resource Conserving SN/GF-5. ACEA is for vehicles sold in Europe with longer OCI.

Use the regular 5w30 M1 since it meets your spec, then when your out of warranty use the EP or what ever flavor M1 you desire and you'll be just fine, your over thinking this.

5w30 will protect just fine in your turbo application.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Actually, I'm not aware of any 5w-40 oil that would meet the ILSAC fuel economy requirements.

True, and another good reason why the Hyundai/Kia recommendations should be read as an either/or.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: daman
Use the regular 5w30 M1 since it meets your spec, then when your out of warranty use the EP or what ever flavor M1 you desire and you'll be just fine, your over thinking this.

Doesn't M1 5w-30 meet the Honda turbo spec?

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: daman

Doesn't M1 5w-30 meet the Honda turbo spec?

I was commenting on his.. "since it's a turbo I think I would be better with the 5w-40"... statement.

Have no idea not a Honda man but A5/B5 is a high temp rating.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Would Valvoline Synpower 5W40 meet Hyundai spec?

Synpower 5w30 also meets the ACEA A5 certification, and can be found at Walmart.

well the mobil oil selector says my car manufacturer recommends a 5w-30 or 5w-40, but says a 0w-40 viscosity can also be used.

looking @ the 0w-40 specs if I'm reading right, has better numbers for the @40, @100, and the HTHS, and viscosity index then the 5w-30 normal Mobil 1 or the EP 5w-30.bu

but only shows it meets or exceeds the requirements of:API SN, SM, SL, SJ
ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4
Nissan GT-R

I know the ACEA is a euro spec, and sounds like more strict, but is very confusing, when searching google, some things I read made it sound like A3/B3, A3/B4 would be better than A5???? is that true?

also not sure why the 0w-40 doesn't have the ILSAC GF-5 spec....

Originally Posted By: kendawg
looking @ the 0w-40 specs if I'm reading right, has better numbers for the @40, @100, and the HTHS, and viscosity index then the 5w-30 normal Mobil 1 or the EP 5w-30.

Higher does not necessarily mean better if your engine doesn't require it. It all depends on the application.

Quote:
also not sure why the 0w-40 doesn't have the ILSAC GF-5 spec....

Big part of ILSAC GF-5 is fuel economy/energy conserving requirements. An Xw-40 grade oil is too thick/heavy to qualify.

Quote:
Whenever a new motor oil warranty standard is released by the oil industry, which is based on specifications required by the Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM) such as Ford, General Motors, Chrysler, etc. marketers begin selling the improvements over the last specification or in this case GF-4. This exposes the pitfalls of GF-4 and the problems that millions of car owners are experiencing with their engines in their vehicles. The results are out and there seems to be a real problem with GF-4 and cleanliness. Here are the improvement areas:

Engine Sludge Protection
Piston Cleanliness
Oxidative Thickening
E85 Rust Protection for Ethanol
E85 Emulsion Retention for Ethanol
Fuel Economy
Seal Compatibility
Emission System Durability

One of the main areas there was no improvement in wear protection. Imagine that the OEM’s still want their cars engines to wear out so you will buy a new vehicle.

http://blog.sfrcorp.com/2010/02/26/as-gl...4-are-revealed/

ILSAC GF-5 is among other things, a resource conserving certification and 0w40 oils are not resource conserving. As long as the oil meets EITHER, API SM, ILSAC GF-4 or above OR A5 or above, In the viscosities listed in the Owner's Manual, you are good.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Quote:
One of the main areas there was no improvement in wear protection. Imagine that the OEM’s still want their cars engines to wear out so you will buy a new vehicle.

This is a ridiculous statement. Do we really have a massive problem with cars being junked because their engines wore out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back