Need some Oil help 2015 Hyundia Veloster TGDI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me thinks, the only time fuel would impact wear would be if there was a lot of it, to the point of reducing the oil's viscosity so that it no longer protects metal surfaces. Manufacturers do account for fuel dilution when specifying viscosity for their engines, so there is usually plenty of buffer.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
If an A5 is needed, it sounds like M1 0w40 is the cheapest candidate for the job. Walmart has it for $25.xx a jug. I too would have asked the dealer what they would use.

That's the problem, though, M1 0w-40 is an A3/B4 lube, not an A5/B5.
wink.gif
Hence, we have this confusion thanks to the manual having such a mangled spec. But, wemay's been through this in the past with a manufacturer, and his discussions indicated they're not terribly interested in specifying something impossible - an SN/GF-5 lube is sufficient.

Seems the big confusion with Hyundai is the viscosity rating. I doubt if any other spec matters.

I think they are more realistic with their recommended viscosity actually. Both my parents Ford and Jeep OMs say to use 5w20 meeting each manufacturers requirement. No substitutions.. Just 5w20.

My moms Elantra's OM says basically anything from 5w20-20w50 can be used depending on the climate and what's available, but 5w20 is recommended for maximum fuel efficiency.

Obviously the turbo'd applications seem a bit more confusing, but if the dealer doesn't care if a simple SN GF5 is used, then I guess its okay. I am still curious what the dealers use. My mom is considering the turbo'd Sonata and I have that huge stash of 5w30 Synblend.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I think they are more realistic with their recommended viscosity actually. Both my parents Ford and Jeep OMs say to use 5w20 meeting each manufacturers requirement. No substitutions.. Just 5w20.

My moms Elantra's OM says basically anything from 5w20-20w50 can be used depending on the climate and what's available, but 5w20 is recommended for maximum fuel efficiency.

Obviously the turbo'd applications seem a bit more confusing, but if the dealer doesn't care if a simple SN GF5 is used, then I guess its okay. I am still curious what the dealers use. My mom is considering the turbo'd Sonata and I have that huge stash of 5w30 Synblend.
laugh.gif

I have the maintenance pkg on both the Sonata and the 2.0T Santa Fe. I let them use their bulk during the first oil change and they used a 5w30 SN/GF-5 conventional as standard (also in the turbo). You pay extra if you want synthetic. I bring my own synthetic now but will be doing my own changes once the pkg runs out. BTW, no issues while using the conventional oil.

Last edited:
Yeah, the non-turbo they list 5w-20, 5w-30, or 10w-30 but for the turbo they list just 5w-30 and 5w-40

in anycase I had my wife pick up the normal Mobil 1 5w-30.... but to my surprise, for the ACEA it list just A1/B1, online it said for ACEA it meet A1/B1,A5/B5, but it didn't show the A5/B5 on the back of the 5qt jug.... no I wished I just stayed with the EP 5w-30 I put in my other cars.... which online just said A1/B1 then....

Last edited:
My Santa Fe 2.0T shows 5w30 and 10w30. I have and will continue to also use xw40 regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back