Mobil Oil Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bvance554
Originally Posted By: randomhero439
Seems Interesting that Mobil 1 HM protects more than standard M1

Only as interesting as the fact the Super HM 'protects better' than standard Super.

Super HM is a syn blend, regular Super is not.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
This begs the question of why there should be four different flavors of M1.
Why not just offer one really good formulation and be done with it?
I guess that would bring too great a reduction in shelf facings, though.

Nothing like playing the three walnut shells and the pea game with motor oil variations. How much actual price difference is there in the synthetic offering?

Originally Posted By: stygz
What makes the AFE rate better than standard M1? My vehicle suggests EP, AFE, then M1 in those respective order. Heck AFE is the same price as M1.

My guess is that AFE has more Gr.IV basestock in order to meet the 0w spec.

My new Focus specs 5w20 but apparently I'd be better off using AFE 0w20....or would I since my Focus is DI and the M1 5w20 probably has a lower NOACK than the AFE??

This post made me go to the Mobil 1 website and found one review for Mobil 1 EP as follows,

"I used Mobile 1 Extended Performance 5W-30 for the first time. We reached 15,000 miles in 10 months. The oil was black, of course, that is to be expected. What wasn't expected is the viscosity was thick. So I will either go back to regular mobile 1 and 7,500 miles or try again at 12,000 mile. I have not decided yet."

link: https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-extended-performance

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MalfunctionProne
Originally Posted By: Turk
SHOZ said:
How does the M1 0w40 rank among the other M1 oils? Other than viscosity.

Top of the heap.

Mobil 1 TDT (Turbo Diesel Truck) 5w-40 as well.

But, the list doesn't include the more special oils what we're calling out.

[/quote

Don't sleep on M1 15W-50!

35.gif

No love for BMW M cars or GT500 & Track Pack cars

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
This begs the question of why there should be four different flavors of M1.
Why not just offer one really good formulation and be done with it?
I guess that would bring too great a reduction in shelf facings, though.

Nothing like playing the three walnut shells and the pea game with motor oil variations. How much actual price difference is there in the synthetic offering?

Vanilla and AFE are typically priced the same.
EP and HM are typically a couple of bucks more although Wally has sometimes priced all four flavors the same.
Kind of like ice cream, where some flavors must cost more to make than others but all are typically priced the same.

Originally Posted By: pbm
What makes the AFE rate better than standard M1? My vehicle suggests EP, AFE, then M1 in those respective order. Heck AFE is the same price as M1.

My new Focus specs 5w20 but apparently I'd be better off using AFE 0w20....or would I since my Focus is DI and the M1 5w20 probably has a lower NOACK than the AFE??

I'm in the same situation and asked Mobil which of their 0-5w/20 oils had the lowest Noack. Their response was AFE. I presume this is because AFE has a higher percentage of PAO than regular M1. This response was before 0w/20 EP was readily available and as this has considerably more PAO than AFE, it may be a still better choice.

Now whether low Noack really helps a DI engine is another question.

Originally Posted By: Danh
AFE has a higher percentage of PAO than regular M1.

+1

Also, EP and 0W-40 likely have the most PAO Group IV and/or Group V.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain

+1

Does that mean Royal Purple is a better oil since its all PAO wiith POE additives?
smile.gif
;):p

Originally Posted By: deven

+1

Does that mean Royal Purple is a better oil since its all PAO wiith POE additives?
smile.gif

You mean better than regular Valvoline Synpower?

About the same....

AFE is just a marketing name, there is no plain vanilla M1 0W20 and 0W30. If there are plain vanilla M1 0W20/0W30 and AFE counterparts then I will agree that AFE has different base (more PAO).

Originally Posted By: randomhero439
The app only gives conventional oil for mazda rotary cars.
If the vehicle specs 0w-20, the app says 0w-30 is also acceptable... Interesting

Rotary engine makers recommend against usingsynthetic oils. These engines consume oil by design and I gather synthetics resistance to burn-off creates problems.

I like to use Gp III synthetic oil in my son's RX8.

Burn off and accommodating fuel dilution with these oils are not a problem.

I also run Supertech tcw3 two cycle oil in the gas.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Originally Posted By: deven

+1

smile.gif

You mean better than regular Valvoline Synpower?

About the same....

I'd like to believe its about the same as maxlife just because maxlife has more ZDDP.
smile.gif
smile.gif

I'm in the same situation and asked Mobil which of their 0-5w/20 oils had the lowest Noack. Their response was AFE. I presume this is because AFE has a higher percentage of PAO than regular M1. This response was before 0w/20 EP was readily available and as this has considerably more PAO than AFE, it may be a still better choice.

Now whether low Noack really helps a DI engine is another question.

The Motorcraft 5w20 that is spec'd for my Focus has a NOACK of over 15 according to PQIA so I don't know.

I've used Mobil 1 for the last 105,000 and I plan to do so for the next 105,000. Although I did use EP once because Wally World was all out of the regular M1. Interestingly enough it cost exactly the same.

Originally Posted By: aa1986
deven, did you see my post where I said RP 5w20 was $1 a qt in Autozone?

No I didnt. At AZ? Thanks for letting me know!!

Originally Posted By: LotI

There is no four-ball wear test for engine oil. A certain multi-level marketing company from my state keeps using that test and it doesn't apply.

And that is why I will never buy that brand. If I recall I remember watching during the 90s graveyard hour info commercials with our oil is better, so good its not on store shelves and we outperform the milk, shampoo, and the engine in a frozen big block of ice for 24 hours test.

The Motorcraft 5w20 that is spec'd for my Focus has a NOACK of over 15 according to PQIA so I don't know.

Yes, I don't know what the NOACK for M1 5W-20 is, but according to pqiamerica.com 0W-20 AFE and 5W-30 both have a NOACK of 10.1 which is way lower than the Motorcraft 5W-30 at 14.3, but I don't know about the Motorcraft 5W-20. Does anyone have a link?

EDIT - I found it using google, too bad the PQIA site is so hard to use: Motorcraft 5W-20 is out of spec at 15.2.

Last edited:
Which Mobil 1 product has the lowest NOACK?

My engine consumes regular Mobil 1 5W30 at a decent pace, so I am wondering if going to 0W30 AFE or 5W30 EP would decrease the consumption. I was going to go Ultra Platinum 5W30, but a few people on here have said that PUP will consume more oil than Mobil 1, so I may not run the PUP after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back