Mobil Oil Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the new Mobil Oil website has an application guide that gives oil suggestions for your vehicle. It ranks them in order from most protection to least protection. Playing with the app, here is the order.

Mobil 1 EP
Mobil 1 AFE
Mobil 1 HM
Mobil 1
Mobil Super Syn
Mobil Super HM
Mobil Super

Any truth to this ranking? Seems Interesting that Mobil 1 HM protects more than standard M1

Originally Posted By: randomhero439

Mobil 1 EP
Mobil 1 AFE
Mobil 1 HM
Mobil 1
Mobil Super Syn
Mobil Super HM
Mobil Super

Any truth to this ranking? Seems Interesting that Mobil 1 HM protects more than standard M1

This should be good.
36.gif

Seems Interesting that Mobil 1 HM protects more than standard M1

HM is API SL rated, so it has Zn & P in the 1000 - 1200 ppm range, std M1 is the newer API SN rating, so only 600 to 800 ppm. Less AW additives equals less protection (except for CATs).

Originally Posted By: CentAmDL650

HM is API SL rated, so it has Zn & P in the 1000 - 1200 ppm range, std M1 is the newer API SN rating, so only 600 to 800 ppm. Less AW additives equals less protection (except for CATs).

So HM oils have more AW adds. But it seems they lack the VI that standard syns have... Given that most wear comes from cold start, wouldn't the increase VI of the standard oil give more protection?

Ok guys if you're tired, allow me ...
Mobil test protection at lab, 4 ball test with warmed up oil and stuff. They don't make that list on vehicle usage, neither on cold startups at nctps. It matters most at normal operation conditions and load.

Last edited:
OP I would like you to add next to the flavors, the ratios of what they contain. Wag of my finger and not a tip of my hat for you not doing so from the start.

Only as interesting as the fact the Super HM 'protects better' than standard Super.

Last edited:
The list is spot on. M1 has long proclaimed the EP to be their flagship oil. We here on BITOG know the AFE oils are outstanding. M1 HM oils are also outstanding oils, some of which are A3/B3 (as well as other positive attributes) when the "vanilla" M1 counterparts are A1 and have lower additive levels. The same goes for the Super line of oils.

This begs the question of why there should be four different flavors of M1.
Why not just offer one really good formulation and be done with it?
I guess that would bring too great a reduction in shelf facings, though.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
How does the M1 0w40 rank among the other M1 oils? Other than viscosity.

Top of the heap.

Mobil 1 TDT (Turbo Diesel Truck) 5w-40 as well.

But, the list doesn't include the more special oils what we're calling out.

Originally Posted By: 285south
OP I would like you to add next to the flavors, the ratios of what they contain. Wag of my finger and not a tip of my hat for you not doing so from the start.

Shame on me! Cause I know them off the top of my head haha

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
The list is spot on. M1 has long proclaimed the EP to be their flagship oil. We here on BITOG know the AFE oils are outstanding. M1 HM oils are also outstanding oils, some of which are A3/B3 (as well as other positive attributes) when the "vanilla" M1 counterparts are A1 and have lower additive levels. The same goes for the Super line of oils.

For example my Honda Accord specs 5w-20 conventional. I would like to use 0w-20 witch gives me 2 options. EP or AFE. Now we all know EP has more AW than AFE... So would that make it superior?

When I submit my BMW in the application guide, Mobil 1 0w-40 is all that shows up ha

Originally Posted By: Pontual
Ok guys if you're tired, allow me ...
Mobil test protection at lab, 4 ball test with warmed up oil and stuff. They don't make that list on vehicle usage, neither on cold startups at nctps. It matters most at normal operation conditions and load.

There is no four-ball wear test for engine oil. A certain multi-level marketing company from my state keeps using that test and it doesn't apply.

Originally Posted By: Turk

Top of the heap.

Interestingly. If you put in a diesel truck, M1 TDT is at the top of the list!

What makes the AFE rate better than standard M1? My vehicle suggests EP, AFE, then M1 in those respective order. Heck AFE is the same price as M1.

The app only gives conventional oil for mazda rotary cars.
If the vehicle specs 0w-20, the app says 0w-30 is also acceptable... Interesting

Originally Posted By: Turk

Top of the heap.

Don't sleep on M1 15W-50!

35.gif

The app only gives conventional oil for mazda rotary cars.
If the vehicle specs 0w-20, the app says 0w-30 is also acceptable... Interesting

Rotary engine makers recommend against usingsynthetic oils. These engines consume oil by design and I gather synthetics resistance to burn-off creates problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back