Need info on used BMW 3 series

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: m6pwr
Find an issue of BIMMER magazine. They've done a series of articles on the various BMW series; e36, e46, e39 and so on, their strengths and weaknesses, etc. Email one of their columnists, Mike Miller. He can tell you which back issue to look for (at your library) as well as answer any particular questions you might have about the e46.

I've owned 20 BMWs, including 7 M cars, interspersed with Audis, P Cars, a Camaro Z28 with a Corvette engine, and the pinnacle, a 460 cu in. Slam Bam Trans Am with Fire Chicken decal. I always come back to the Bimmers.

I would have to agree- even though I've only owned 10 BMWs, but I have to say that only a few(M235i, M3, B6 Gran Coupe) of the new BMWs interest me.

Completely unrelated to the conversation (well, almost) but I have a loaner 2014 320i Xdrive sedan with 1400 miles on the odometer. It isn't particularly nice, especially considering the 40k price tag. Unappealing engine note, low on power, harsh (teutonic?) interior surfaces and seams... just nothing I would spend so much money on. It handles just fine, but seems like it is the ultimate compromise machine. Not the best ride, not the best handling, not the best anything. When it comes down to it, purpose built machines will always be most desirable to me. And it has come up a few times in this thread, but I have found that the magic found in ///Ms seem absent in most non ///M vehicles.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Find an issue of BIMMER magazine. They've done a series of articles on the various BMW series; e36, e46, e39 and so on, their strengths and weaknesses, etc. Email one of their columnists, Mike Miller. He can tell you which back issue to look for (at your library) as well as answer any particular questions you might have about the e46.

I've owned 20 BMWs, including 7 M cars, interspersed with Audis, P Cars, a Camaro Z28 with a Corvette engine, and the pinnacle, a 460 cu in. Slam Bam Trans Am with Fire Chicken decal. I always come back to the Bimmers.

I would have to agree- even though I've only owned 10 BMWs, but I have to say that only a few(M235i, M3, B6 Gran Coupe) of the new BMWs interest me.

This is the sad truth.

Newer BMW's seem to have lost that razor focus on driver involvement that made them famous....

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

Funny -- this exact idea is what makes me and most of my friends laugh at the idea of buying a brand new Accord/Camry. I.e., why buy something that utterly boring to drive when you could have something like a NICE used E46 for the same price?

Exactly!!!

Because in a new Accord, every time I turn the key, I will not think, "Will it start this time?"

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

Because in a new Accord, every time I turn the key, I will not think, "Will it start this time?"

The only starting issue I've ever had on any of my 10 BMWs has been caused by a dead battery- and only two suffered that malady- my wife's 1997 E39 5er(8 year old OEM battery) and my son's 2004 E83 X3(7 year old OEM battery). I'll gladly change a battery every 7-8 years in order to drive a car that makes me smile every time I turn the key(my wife's current E90 328i excepted- dull as dishwater).

I like the new M4 Coupe.

Pretty striking in the Mineral Grey.

Of course I'm kind of partial to the M6 Coupe too.

I'm understating this somewhat, but I've never driven a more satisfying vehicle in my entire life.

The 428 coupe is blah, maybe with the I6 and some mods and a stick it would be OK.

Now an 80's vintage 6 series or even a 90's 8 would be a far more interesting car.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

And that's exactly why it's boring. It's too predictable.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: BowNisPar
The Toyota will get you to work every day.

Again, never a problem with my BMWs- I'm assuming you've owned one and had a bad experience?

Originally Posted By: BowNisPar
The Toyota will get you to work every day.

Again, never a problem with my BMWs- I'm assuming you've owned one and had a bad experience?

I've owned 1 BMW (a 1999 Z3 Coupe) and 1 Mini (a 2007 Cooper S). My experience with both was fine, but I find them to be, the newer ones most notably, to be needlessly complicated, difficult to maintain, overly computerized, and with the 2014 320i sitting in my driveway right now, rather boring to drive.

Still MUCH more desirable than a Mercedes. I had an SL500 (a 2003) that was the biggest pain in the a$$ ever.

Perhaps I just don't like European cars anymore. Too complicated, overly engineered, and overpriced.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
$18,000 will get you a 2014 Corolla .

Never has $18,000 seemed so unappealing...

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
$18,000 will get you a 2014 Corolla .

Never has $18,000 seemed so unappealing...

I suppose I agree with this one... lots of very nice certified pre-owned vehicles at 18k that would be much nicer, however you define nice.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
The 428 coupe is blah, maybe with the I6 and some mods and a stick it would be OK.

Now an 80's vintage 6 series or even a 90's 8 would be a far more interesting car.

Okay???

The new M4 with the dual clutch 7 speed auto should be all you need although a stick is available.

Its 425 HP hooked to that fully adjustable drive profile (Std. or M1 or M2) and 12 second quarter miles can only be beat by adding 135 more HP with a M6.

A 1980's 6 series would feel like a Chevy Lumina in comparison to these modern adrenaline machines.

I loved my E24 M6; I'm more likely to buy another pristine example than any new BMW save the M235i.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

Okay???

The new M4 with the dual clutch 7 speed should be all you need although a stick is available.

This.

335is, M3, and the new M4 have universally praised DC AUTO transmissions.
But according to some, these must be very lame cars and if you get an auto transmission you're getting it "just for the BMW badge", and you're lame.

Never mind daily driving needs/situations, and personal preference or family needs, and that a BMW auto can still be a lot more fun that most manual trans cars out there.

I can drive a manual/stick very well, but due to my daily driving needs being pretty much all stop and go, and wife not being able drive a stick, I have to stay with auto transmissions, and I STILL enjoy driving it very much, when I get to drive in a bit lively manner once in a while. (My BMW with a sprint booster - which minimizes lag with the DBW system - in Sport mode or the Steptronic mode is enough fun for me, really.)

A 3-Series with an automatic is a very, very good car.

A 3-Series with a manual is a great car.

I am fully aware of it AND agree. Certain situations sometimes prevent us from owning the great one though.
I just don't see why, if the 3 series auto is a "very, very good car" why all the owners supposedly) just got it for the BMW badge.
smile.gif

I sure didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back