BMW 4 Series (2015-2020)

I'm intrigued by these, as I like coupes. I see that they are similar in price used to 3 Series cars.

Anything to avoid?

I'm intrigued by these, as I like coupes. I see that they are similar in price used to 3 Series cars.

Anything to avoid?
They are basically the 3 series cars but the coupe version, so most parts are shared between the chassis. The B58 turbo inline-6 is a great engine and the ZF8 automatic transmission is pretty stout as well. If buying one of these a maintenance history and oil/coolant leaks would be my main concern. Any BMW should have a pre-purchase inspection done by a shop independent from the selling location. These cars with the turbo inline-6 and turbo-4 are a favorite with tuners, so any car that looks to be at all modified would be a pass for me.

Before you plunk down money on 1 of these cars, have the candidate car undergo a pre-purchase inspection performed by a reputable independent shop that specializes in bimmers. Try www.bimrs.org to find a shop in your area.

^^^ That, and make sure it has a clean maintenance history with regular service documented.

To be a CPO it can't be more than 3-5 years old, so I'd try to get the seller to throw on a new set of tires. The OE run-flats don't handle or feel too good and they don't make it much past 40K miles, which is the ballpark where a lot of CPO cars land.

Before you plunk down money on 1 of these cars, have the candidate car undergo a pre-purchase inspection performed by a reputable independent shop that specializes in bimmers. Try www.bimrs.org to find a shop in your area.
Definitely this. I didn't do this when I recently got my 535d, which has been great so far, but for sure get it inspected before buying.

The 4-series BMWs are very good looking cars. They look like a coupe version of my 535, which I guess they are. :)

Good looking cars and don't see many around. Of all the BMW's I service - only ever seen one come in.

To sell the car as a CPO BMW requires the car to be fitted with RFTs if the car came with them as original equipment.

I would get the inline 6

If you like to go fast and drive like a maniac see if they have a sport package one (stiffer springs, an inch or so lower, wider rims)

Anything to avoid?
I have a 2015 435i (73k miles).

The only 4-series specific issue I can think of is the complicated panelized convertible top and the seat belt extenders which may start to give up as the years go on. Otherwise they're identical to the 3-series.

Your date range encompasses the changeover in engines.

N55 I6 (435i/335i) to B58 I6 (440i/340i)
N20 I4 (428i/328i) to B48 I4 (430i/330i)

They all have their little unique traits but the N20 is known for timing chain problems which were eligible to be fixed via recall. I don't have a good handle on how well the recalled engines are running. Early B-series engines had their teething issues like faulty oil pumps (recall) and cracking oil filter housings (recall?). You can run the VIN on a car you like at BMW website to look for open recalls.

Last edited:
Back