ATF choice

Status
Not open for further replies.
For vehicles recommending Mercon V is there any benefit to using one of these fluids over the other? My options are Motorcraft, Supertech Mercon V, Supertech Multi-vehicle. Price is about even since I can get the Motorcraft from the dealer out of the bulk tank. I just have to bring my own jug.

If you are under warranty, I would go first with Motorcraft MerconV, and then Supertech Mercon V second.

If not under warranty and since the price is about the same for all fluids, the Supertech Mercon V ahould be more readily available.

+1

If it calls for Mercon V, I'd just use Mercon V and not any type of multi-vehicle or multipurpose fluid.

+1
While I do not use the Amsoil PCMO any longer, I still like their ATF and their grease.
ATF is difficult to find on sale in these parts.

I wouldn't use bulk fluid without researching the chain of custody. Blended where and by who? delivered how and how often?

Any bottled MerconV is good enough. Full synth is an option if in budget. Mobil1, Amsoil, RedLine, RoyalPurple...are easy choices. On a budget, full synth and blends are available from almost every brand.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
If you are under warranty, I would go first with Motorcraft MerconV, and then Supertech Mercon V second.

If not under warranty and since the price is about the same for all fluids, the Supertech Mercon V ahould be more readily available.

Wolf359
+1

If it calls for Mercon V, I'd just use Mercon V and not any type of multi-vehicle or multipurpose fluid. (quote)

+2

I am a big fan of Maxlife ATF, Castrol IMV, Amsoil ATF etc.....but only when the OE fluid is exorbitantly priced which is not the case with Mercon V. With Mercon V so reasonably priced it's hard to justify using a universal fluid.

The motorcraft bulk is delivered weekly. Pumped from a 55 gallon drum with a Motorcraft logo on the top of it. The driver flushes his lines before dispensing a new fluid. I worked at this dealership for 10 years in the shop before recently switching careers. I have no issue with trusting what they have in the tank. My thoughts on ATF have always been if it clearly stated it is approved for the spec you're good to go. So I've never put much thought into brand or multi-vehicle vs specific fluids. I was just wondering if I could be doing better with any of the readily available fluids. And I'm WAAAAY out of warranty.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I personally would use an Amsoil ATF if there is one spec'ed for the vehicle. But you probably do not want to pay the premium.

I don't have a way to get Amsoil locally. I can get a deal on BG fluids so they could be an option. I would rather just change fluid frequently with something I can pick up in town at any time. My car has a drain plug so I drain and refill one quart at each oil change. My truck I've been doing pan drops every 30k.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
+1

If it calls for Mercon V, I'd just use Mercon V and not any type of multi-vehicle or multipurpose fluid.

Love the username.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back