Ford F150 transfer case fluid, school me.

So, I have just over 50k miles on the OEM T-case and I plan to change the fluid soon. It appears the OEM Ford transfer case fluid is very expensive and is probably about the same as any generic Dextron Mercon atf. Whats the deal? Options? Thoughts on using some cheap ST Dextron Mercon ATF? I have a couple jugs of Motorcraft LV ATF from a prior Fusion, is that acceptable? Suggestions please.

What ^^^ said

So, I have just over 50k miles on the OEM T-case and I plan to change the fluid soon. It appears the OEM Ford transfer case fluid is very expensive and is probably about the same as any generic Dextron Mercon atf. Whats the deal? Options? Thoughts on using some cheap ST Dextron Mercon ATF? I have a couple jugs of Motorcraft LV ATF from a prior Fusion, is that acceptable? Suggestions please.

Mercon LV in my F150. I do mine when I do trans service since it’s right there, not much fluid, and so easy to get too.

Using the wrong fluid could get expensive too. If you do not have a manual, you can download one for your vehicle from this site. Then you will know exactly what is called for.

My last and current F150 have redline D4 in the transfer case. Pretty much anything will work in there, but if you have the Auto 4wd setting avoid ATF type F as there are hints it delaminates the clutches. Mercon LV was spec'd for the TC about the same time as 75w90 started showing up in the rear differential. I use 75w140 in there.

From the 2016 Ford F-150 owners manual. The answer depends on which system the OP’s truck has. There are lots of suppliers of Mercon LV.

F6ED31C2-A526-4CF3-8AB4-93CF97FD2935.jpeg

Use the same transmission fluid in the 10R80. There is always a possibility of cross contamination with the transmission and transfer case. (rare but possible) You could use 30 weight oil in an absolute pinch but I wouldn't on a new truck. (used 10w30 on my TJ transfer case without issue) I used Mercon LV on my 2017 F150.

Use the same transmission fluid in the 10R80. There is always a possibility of cross contamination with the transmission and transfer case. (rare but possible) You could use 30 weight oil in an absolute pinch but I wouldn't on a new truck. (used 10w30 on my TJ transfer case without issue) I used Mercon LV on my 2017 F150.
No. The 10R80 uses ULV fluid, the TC uses LV fluid. quite different.

I put amsoil LV in mine. All I can say is it doesnt leak. i don’t use the 4x4 much - usually the locking e-diff frees me up and it’s quicker to dis/engage so I grab it first. no issues with the amsoil for my use. I do like that it’s a pretty robust fluid, probably more than the tcase needs.

My ‘15 F150 2.7 with 1-piece drive shaft had a bind pop taking off from a dead stop. I draind the T-case and filled it with Maxlife. To my surprise, the bind pop disappeared completely. I’ve read some F150’s were under filled from the factory. Such an easy service, that there’s no reason not to do it!

TCs take LV from the factory. Just about any LV will work; I put Amsoil ATL in mine and it’s been perfectly fine, but will probably switch at some point to HPL Green CC; it seems the transfer case cares more about being filled properly than it does the fluid used. Make sure you fill til you get a good weep out of the fill plug, then cap it off before the overflow stops.

Back