Michelin Brand Warrenty MEANINGLESS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can twist that any way you like, but the correct answer is that neither one is good.

Things like jack stands, ramps, tires, steering components, brakes, food.... Count me in on the no-Chinese crowd.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
By your logic, it's much safer to be running around on a set of overpriced, bald michelins in a snowstorm than it is to be on 4 brand new chinese tires with full tread?

Originally Posted By: Hollow
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

I will run 4 different brands of used Chinese tires before I will give ONE CENT to Michelin under any circumstances!

Please stay off public roads.
]

By your logic, it's much safer to be running around on a set of overpriced, bald michelins in a snowstorm than it is to be on 4 brand new chinese tires with full tread?

arent those OEM spec tires?

they usually get the "extra [censored] for the cheapest price to manufacturer specs" treatment.

Please post a pic of the date code. they are usually on the inside sidewall. XX/XX week/Year

They do look abused.. running them underinflated in florida would surely be hard on them.

Originally Posted By: soyeahiknow

The NEXT morning, I made sure the air pressure was right and the lug nuts were tight. The front new tires looked great! But then I saw that the rear passenger tire was really flat. I looked down and saw there was a crack on the tire, big enough that I could put my fingernail into it.

I'm still trying to process in my mind how you could suddenly notice that "the rear passenger tire was really flat" and look down and see a tire in that condition ??!!
21.gif

Do you think that happened overnight ??
When is the last time you rotated the tires? Aired them up ??

I will run 4 different brands of used Chinese tires before I will give ONE CENT to Michelin under any circumstances!

]

Just because he said please stay off the road if he is using Chinese tires does not mean he is saying its ok to use bald tires of any brand.....not sure how you got that from his statement.

Originally Posted By: mcrn

]

Just because he said please stay off the road if he is using Chinese tires does not mean he is saying its ok to use bald tires of any brand.....not sure how you got that from his statement.

Mad hyperbole skills sir, that's how
grin.gif

You are unhappy because you want cash back. The warranty does not provide this just pro prorated replacement tires.

You definitely can be frustrated but the OP is an unreasonable in this case. Good luck with your new tires.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
nothing but praise here for Michelin. I buy several sets each year and they tend to perform flawlessly for us.

The OP's photo suggests severe under inflation, not a warranted issue.

Agreed. No complaints with any Michelins I've run- '80s TRX excepted...

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

My sentiments exactly.

To me, tire selection mirrors that of choosing a racing/motorcycle helmet- If you have a ten dollar head, get a ten dollar helmet.

As for the OP, he was offered a fair pro rata settlement for a heavily worn and abused/neglected tire- you can't expect much more than that...

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

My sentiments exactly.

Cheap tires are great as long as you don't expect them to stop quickly or corner well.

As far as I can tell, they usually hold air!!!
eek.gif

In my experience, Michelin has been the most generous of all the tire companies in providing warranty coverage, even when they should not have. They usually say they require you to buy Micheling, BFGoodrich, or Uniroyal for replacements.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
In my experience, Michelin has been the most generous of all the tire companies in providing warranty coverage...

+1

I've done $1000s in business over the years with our local independent Michelin dealer.

Any legitimate issues he gets gets on the horn and takes care of things on my behalf pronto. No questions asked.
In a roundabout way, he is Michelin's customer more so than I.

And when they wear 'prematurely' during closed circuit track day abuse that's on my dime.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: mcrn
Jarlaxle said:

Mad hyperbole skills sir, that's how
grin.gif

LOL!!

Originally Posted By: MCompact

To me, tire selection mirrors that of choosing a racing/motorcycle helmet- If you have a ten dollar head, get a ten dollar helmet.

As for the OP, he was offered a fair pro rata settlement for a heavily worn and abused/neglected tire- you can't expect much more than that...

Freakin' Hilarious!!!

But yep, who wants cheap tires? Not me. Our newest fleet van shipped with bridgestones and they are already worn severely at 25k miles! New Michelin LTX MS2 will be fitted next week after I slipped around in all the rain we've had here the last week.

They routinely go 60-70k miles on the exact same duty cycle. Since they only cost about 40 bucks each more than a Bridgestone which one is the better buy? And no squirming on wet pavement, just rock solid grip all the time...

Which Bridgestones? I have seen 16" Duravis tires go 90,000+ miles. Duelers? Yeah, they won't go as long.

You might do better with a Firestone Steeltex HT, actually. (In this area, they are HALF the price of an LTX.)

After the awful customer service I have seen from Michelin...not if you gave them to me. (I have seen 20 year old tires left outside that were less decayed than the OP's!)

I agree with some of the above posts. Michelin offered you exactly what I would have expected. A pro-rated replacement.

Without reading the terms and conditions of the Michelin tire warranty, I'd guess that's exactly what they say they will do.

What's "useless" about that?

Originally Posted By: Finklejag
Who puts their wheels face down on the ground?

I took the tire in my car since I didn't want to be driving the Acura with a donut tire on the highway to Sears and Sam's Club. Where else am I supposed to put the tire to show the technician? I guess I forgot my silk tire cushion on which I should have laid the tire on.

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear

The NEXT morning, I made sure the air pressure was right and the lug nuts were tight. The front new tires looked great! But then I saw that the rear passenger tire was really flat. I looked down and saw there was a crack on the tire, big enough that I could put my fingernail into it.

I'm still trying to process in my mind how you could suddenly notice that "the rear passenger tire was really flat" and look down and see a tire in that condition ??!!
21.gif

Do you think that happened overnight ??
When is the last time you rotated the tires? Aired them up ??

I got the front 2 tires changed at Walmart, and then drove it back to my relative's house and parked it on her driveway. Then I went back to my house. I went back the next day to re tighten the lug nuts on the front 2 tires and did a walk around and that's when I noticed the back was flat. Last time I rotated the tires was 5k ago when I did the oil change. Also the Walmart where I took them to had checked the tire pressure the day before. Additionally, the car was taken to the Acura dealership for a warranty recall 3 weeks ago to install a waterproof cover onto the ECU. That dealership also checked the pressure and fluid levels and gave us an estimate of what maintenance should be done on the car.

Anyways, for all of you who are so sure the tires being this bad to due to user error/negligence, I understand that you probably own or have used Michelin tires before and want to justify paying such a high price for them.

My complaint and problem with these tires are not that rare. Just a cursory Google search found several similar complaints.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/tires/michelin.html

http://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=845762

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=94737

Like a lot of members here regarding the OEM Michelin Pilot tires, I feel that they are not very good. I did not think they were all that bad until yesterday when I noticed all 4 of my tires have a slight crack around the edge of the treat and sidewall. The tires do not even have much wear......my car is a 2011 and only has 23,000 miles on it.

i had to replace mine after about a year and a half do to all 4 being cracked

I got the front 2 tires changed at Walmart, and then drove it back to my relative's house and parked it on her driveway. Then I went back to my house. I went back the next day to re tighten the lug nuts on the front 2 tires and did a walk around and that's when I noticed the back was flat. Last time I rotated the tires was 5k ago when I did the oil change. Also the Walmart where I took them to had checked the tire pressure the day before. Additionally, the car was taken to the Acura dealership for a warranty recall 3 weeks ago to install a waterproof cover onto the ECU. That dealership also checked the pressure and fluid levels and gave us an estimate of what maintenance should be done on the car.

How could you possibly NOT notice this 5K ago when you did the rotation? Or the 5K before that? I mean this didn't happen overnight.

A google search on almost anything will yield some complaints. Since Michelin sells millions of tires around the world you can expect them to have a LOT of them.

But that does not make them a bad company. I run a fleet of vehicles, both large and small, and we use Michelin almost exclusively. And we need no justification for paying their prices, as they are uniformly excellent and extremely long lasting also.

Especially when properly cared for, which it is obvious that the OP's were not...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back