Michelin Brand Warrenty MEANINGLESS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

How could you possibly NOT notice this 5K ago when you did the rotation? Or the 5K before that? I mean this didn't happen overnight.

The OP's story becomes curiouser and curiouser.
But I have to admit, his tale of woe really makes me want to dump my Pilot Super Sports in favor of an inexpensive set of Chinese Ditchfinders...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
A google search on almost anything will yield some complaints. Since Michelin sells millions of tires around the world you can expect them to have a LOT of them.

But that does not make them a bad company. I run a fleet of vehicles, both large and small, and we use Michelin almost exclusively. And we need no justification for paying their prices, as they are uniformly excellent and extremely long lasting also.

Especially when properly cared for, which it is obvious that the OP's were not...

But it's TRUE!!! I read it on the internet!!!

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: soyeahiknow
I guess my point was at I had assumed the benefits of buying " premium" brand tires was that they would be free of defects

This is a great example of why I think the world would be so much better if everyone had to know just a few basic things about statistics.

You might buy a premium brand to reduce the probability of defects. Reducing the probability of something doesn't make it impossible. Even if this tire wasn't abused, it's still possible that you got the one dud in that entire batch that came out of the factory. It happens.

If you really were expecting zero defects, even from Michelin, I'm not surprised that you got so angry here. Expecting perfection is the most efficient possible way to be disappointed.

and if said defects were discovered, they would go far beyond just prorating for another tire of the same exact type.

...on a wear item?

Also, I wasn't asking for a complete tire replacement for free. I was merely asking for that prorated amount in cash since I wanted to go with another tire brand.

Now this, I can see.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Also, I wasn't asking for a complete tire replacement for free. I was merely asking for that prorated amount in cash since I wanted to go with another tire brand.

Now this, I can see.

I can't imagine that. Not with a manufacturer's prorated warranty. Here's the current terms. Probably not the terms at the time the tire was purchased, but I can't imagine they'd be meaningfully different. All manufacturers' prorated warranties specify a replacement tire on a prorated cost basis. I can't find any terms that specify cash. Also - Michelin's terms aren't that bad with regards to defects. They don't have a time limit. Continental has 72 months. Bridgestone is 5/6 years.

Quote:
http://www.michelinman.com/mediabin/Appr...romise_Plan.pdf

WHAT WILL MICHELIN DO?
Workmanship/Materials
If a tire is covered, and 2/32nds of an inch (1.6mm) or less of the original
tread is worn (or 25% or less, whichever is more beneficial to you), and it
is within 12 months of the date of purchase, Michelin will, free of charge,
replace your tire with a comparable new MICHELIN® replacement tire,
mount the tire, and balance the tire. You must pay the cost of any other
service charges and applicable taxes, including PAX Gel/Gel 3 packs.

If a tire is covered, and more than 2/32nds of an inch of original tread has
been worn (or more than 25%, whichever is more beneficial to you), or it
has been more than 12 months from the date of purchase, Michelin will
replace the tire with a comparable new MICHELIN replacement tire on a
pro rata basis. This means that you will be responsible for paying a portion
of the cost. The Michelin tire retailer will determine the portion for which
you will be responsible by multiplying the percentage of the original usable
tread worn, by the current selling price at the adjustment location or the
price in the current Michelin Base Price List, whichever is lower. You also
will be responsible for paying in-full the cost of mounting and balancing
the tire, and the cost of any other service charges and applicable taxes,
including PAX Gel/Gel 3 packs.

Quote:
http://www.bridgestonetire.com/content/dam/bst/pdf/tire-warranties/Replacement_Warranty_EN_2014.pdf

After the free tire replacement period, coverage ex- tends up to (a) 5 years from the date of purchase—proof of purchase date required, ,or (b) 6 years from the date of tire manufacture without proof of purchase date. During this period, the tire will be replaced but there will be a pro-rated charge. To determine the replacement price, the percent of tread wear is multiplied by DEALER’S then current selling price for the replacement tire(s). The appropriate taxes, mounting, balancing, disposal fees, and other service charges may be added to the replacement price.

As far as I remember OP was buying tires for friend that does not know much about auto issues.
If friend is anything like my former roommate, even if you install 4 steel wheels reinforced with Titanium, they will mess it up.
I never, never had this issue on the tire, and I went through all major brands+some inexpensive one.
This looks like under-pressured tire, and based on previous posts about this car, Mastercrafts are going to last 10K at best.
Hopefully nothing happens to driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back