Used oil analisys on Renault Megane II Break 1.5 D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there.

I need some help to interpretate the analisys of the used engine oil from my Renault Megane II Break 1.5 Dci from 2007. Diesel engine.

The main reason that i've required this analysis is because this engine in my car and cars from other brands such as Nissan, Dacia and of course Renault came from factory with serious problems in big end bearing shells those parts broke earlier, about 100.000 Km's to 150.000 km's!! In normal conditions as you know this parts live a car life, 400.000 km 's or more. I don't know of wich material this parts are made, can you guys tell me reporting to my oil analysis if there are elements of big end bearing shells in the oil? If those parts are beguning damaged?

Wich material are made the big end bearing shells from Renault Megane engine?

I've requested this analisys to prevent to open the engine and replace the big end bearing shells

I change the oil at 15.000 Km intervals, and the oil i'm using is Castro Edge 5W40.

fyjj7.jpg

Many thanks.

Last edited:
ok ,you might want to tell us what type of diesel ,if it is biodiesel (15%)then wear is normal .bio diesel is very hard on engine ,gas with ethanol or other oxygenator is also insanely hard on engine (too clean or whiter then white so engine is literally broken apart by the fuel or gas)if you can find non bio diesel?you ll still face issue if your diesel is clean (non bio)why?because now a day we got ultra low sufur diesel this is also hard on engine ,best would be a 0.5% bio diesel.since I highly doubt it exist,the next best is to add a lubricity additive to clean diesel. about 0.5% should be adequate for diesel

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
ok ,you might want to tell us what type of diesel ,if it is biodiesel (15%)then wear is normal .bio diesel is very hard on engine ,gas with ethanol or other oxygenator is also insanely hard on engine (too clean or whiter then white so engine is literally broken apart by the fuel or gas)if you can find non bio diesel?you ll still face issue if your diesel is clean (non bio)why?because now a day we got ultra low sufur diesel this is also hard on engine ,best would be a 0.5% bio diesel.since I highly doubt it exist,the next best is to add a lubricity additive to clean diesel. about 0.5% should be adequate for diesel

I thought the main issue with ULSD was if you had an older mechanical injector pump like the Bosch VP44 on my Cummins? I do add 1 oz TCW3 per gallon of ULSD.

Ensure your air filter is in good working order and sealed properly. This should help with the silicon wear metals are not elevated based on universal averages but determining engine wear based on UOA's is dubious at best.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Ensure your air filter is in good working order and sealed properly. This should help with the silicon wear metals are not elevated based on universal averages but determining engine wear based on UOA's is dubious at best.

hi dave1251,

I've already checked de air filter it's new!!

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: JorgeMartins
Hi there.

I need some help to interpretate the analisys of the used engine oil from my Renault Megane II Break 1.5 Dci from 2007. Diesel engine.

The main reason that i've required this analysis is because this engine in my car and cars from other brands such as Nissan, Dacia and of course Renault came from factory with serious problems in big end bearing shells those parts broke earlier, about 100.000 Km's to 150.000 km's!! In normal conditions as you know this parts live a car life, 400.000 km 's or more. I don't know of wich material this parts are made, can you guys tell me reporting to my oil analysis if there are elements of big end bearing shells in the oil? If those parts are beguning damaged?

Wich material are made the big end bearing shells from Renault Megane engine?

I've requested this analisys to prevent to open the engine and replace the big end bearing shells

I change the oil at 15.000 Km intervals, and the oil i'm using is Castro Edge 5W40.

fyjj7.jpg

Many thanks.

I am surprised to hear you are experiencing trouble with the Renault 1.5 dci engine. Here our national motorist association(yep it is it,s actual name) just had an article in there magazine about the trouble with modern diesels.

According to them that engine was one of the best, and will most likely give you many trouble free km. The worst is the VAG 2.0 TDI and the PSA/Ford 1.6 diesel.

But it also sounds to me like you use the wrong oil. Here they require a 5w-30 RN720 oil.

Hi shDK,

I don't have any knowledge about other countries but here in Portugal is a very serious problem, so serious that Portuguese Renault and Portuguese Renault dealers recommend changing the 8 big end bearing shells at 100.000 km's or 120.000 km's. And those dealers support all costs if your car did all maintenance there, if not the client has to support it all.

If you check Portugues forums you will see the many sad reports about that. Cars from 60.000 km's to 180.000 km's!!! The engine model is K9K, mine is K9K 732.

Cand you send me the article or the link?

Portuguese Renault recommend Castrol Edge 5W40 for this engine.

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: JorgeMartins
... Renault Megane II Break 1.5 Dci from 2007. Diesel engine.
... this engine in my car and cars from other brands such as Nissan, Dacia and of course Renault came from factory with serious problems in big end bearing shells those parts broke earlier, about 100.000 Km's to 150.000 km's!!

Haven't heard of that in Romania, where K9K is omnipresent.
I would try a different oil.

Originally Posted By: shDK

According to them that engine was one of the best, and will most likely give you many trouble free km.

Same here.

Hi.

I'm not doubting about your report, as said I don't have any knowledge about other countries.

This oil (Castrol) and others like ELF 5W40 are oficialy recommende by Portuguese Renault. That is consentaneous.

In the interval between 100.000 Km's and 120.000 km's, Portuguese Renault and his dealers collect an oil sample and send to a laboratorie in France, then passed a few weeks contact the owner to replace the big end bearing shells.

Thanks.

Guys please, any help here:

I don't know of wich material are made the big end bearing shells, can you guys tell me reporting to my oil analysis if there are elements of big end bearing shells in the oil? If those parts are beguning damaged?

What do you realy think in general about the analisys?

Originally Posted By: Donald
I would expect lead and copper to indicate a bearing issue. Copper can also be from an oil cooler.

The answer is above.
In your UOA, Cu and Pb are perfectly fine.

Originally Posted By: r2d3
Originally Posted By: Donald
I would expect lead and copper to indicate a bearing issue. Copper can also be from an oil cooler.

The answer is above.
In your UOA, Cu and Pb are perfectly fine.

Ok r2d3
Thanks for your opinion, let's see if there are other's.

Regards.

JorgeMartins,

As already said, besides the values of Fe, Al and Silicon, your UOA seems normal.

Try the OEM air filter, if you are using other brand, and shorten the OCI to see if the numbers go down a bit.

FWIW, I can confirm what was said about the directives being followed by the Portuguese branch of Renault, and I don´t take too serious what the auto magazines try to sell us, but that´s another issue.

Regards.

Last edited:
Mm!you arent using bio?then you must be a city driver !your ll need thinner oil .5w40 oil are great oil anytime but when cold.if you do a lot of start and stop city driving .might want to switch to a blend like a 10w30 for big truck .if money isnt an issue you could try shell rotella t6 0w40 or mobil delvac1 le5w30 (all the one i mentionned are all big truck oil).no it doesnt have to be exactly those,they re just a reference for comparision .

Originally Posted By: Blasar
JorgeMartins,

As already said, besides the values of Fe, Al and Silicon, your UOA seems normal.

Try the OEM air filter, if you are using other brand, and shorten the OCI to see if the numbers go down a bit.

FWIW, I can confirm what was said about the directives being followed by the Portuguese branch of Renault, and I don´t take too serious what the auto magazines try to sell us, but that´s another issue.

Regards.

Hi Blasar.

The air filter is almost new, and it's clean.

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
Mm!you arent using bio?then you must be a city driver !your ll need thinner oil .5w40 oil are great oil anytime but when cold.if you do a lot of start and stop city driving .might want to switch to a blend like a 10w30 for big truck .if money isnt an issue you could try shell rotella t6 0w40 or mobil delvac1 le5w30 (all the one i mentionned are all big truck oil).no it doesnt have to be exactly those,they re just a reference for comparision .

Hi yvon_la,

60% city.

My car use Castrol Edge 5W40 it's the Renault recommended oil for this car.

Many thanks.

If the air filter is OK and is the OEM recommended, and all the intake system is pristine, maybe shortening the OCI does do the trick, but is just a guess.

Regards.

Originally Posted By: Blasar
If the air filter is OK and is the OEM recommended, and all the intake system is pristine, maybe shortening the OCI does do the trick, but is just a guess.

Regards.

Hi Blasar

Can you please be more specific about:

"OEM recommended"

"shortening the OCI"

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back