Who Makes What Filter? - One more time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have an infamous ticking in my galant...one guy suggested i try another filter....currently running a ST.

any suggestions?

dealer is a bit away, but then again, many domestic cars run the same filter.

Quote:

The Amsoil EaO filter element is manufactured by Donaldson and the canning is done by Wix.. How about that!??
George Morrison, STLE CLS

We purchase the media, not the finished elements.

beer2.gif

Quote:

I can get luberfiner filters which are made by champ labs with their ecore design individually boxed for the same price from a local parts store here in KW area. I think they are much better then fram, havn't had a problem yet with them. How is the construction of these viper oil filters? What would you say they are similar to comparing them to one of the big oil filter manufacturers?

I haven't cut any open yet, but Ed has. He said the construction looked like a Purolator or Wix, but the media had a greater density (bad thing?).

http://home.mindspring.com/~cewhite3nc/id15.html

Here's the filter cut open on Ed's site:
http://home.earthlink.net/~cewhite3nc/id18.html

Quote:

If Fram makes some Honda filters, how come so many people give Fram a bad review?
I would think Honda has pretty high quality standards.

I've been using nothing but stock OEM Honda filter from FRAM and btw, all my observations are seat of the pants and not by UOA. My butt dyno tells me MC and stock Honda filters which I am usingnow is working the best. As long as I use MC oil, I should use FRAM filters but I have no way of scientifically tell you why other then my butt dyno and what I saw as my ECU timing going up and RPMs a bit higher and revving easier. I should not mess with success but I am addicted to oil and performance after seeing it go up all the time as my car ages. What should I do? Stay with Honda filter and MC or use a synthetic material with PP full syn oil?

Mybe you should add the parent company name as far as who makes which filter brand, instead.

- FRAM = Honeywell
- Fleetguard = Cummins
- Racor = Parker-Hannafin
- Etc.

Also, Honeywell/FRAM supplies the Mack/Volvo truck OEM/OES filters and "Performax" (Shell's other brand) filters, too.

I've used fram filters a few times in my jeep 4.0 and EVERYTIME my oil pressure nearly drops to zero at idle. On several well respected jeep forums Fram filters cause loss of oil pressure on ALL jeep motors and that is why none of us use fram. I like wix and purolator filters.

Quote:

Who makes the Porsche oil filters that say, "Made in the USA?" I thought I remembered seeing one that said Illinois so I thought it might be Champion but they don't look like other Champion made filters.

Porsche is made by Hastings in the USA and by Mahle (made in Austria). It was never made by Champion as some has indicated.
usa2.gif

Quote:

nobadges

quote:

If Fram makes some Honda filters, how come so many people give Fram a bad review?
I would think Honda has pretty high quality standards.

The complaint about Fram is the use of cardboard end plates. Apparently some percentage of them are reported to leak internally allowing unfiltered oil to bypass the filter media.

http://www.tobycreek.org/oil_filters/fram.shtml

This isn't true of their XG Extended Guard filters, which use metal end caps.

I have to say that I used Fram for many years and never noticed any problems.

Denso also uses cardboard end caps on many of their filters. They're one of the OEMs for Toyota (which I believe owns Denso).

Here's a Denso made for a Yamaha motorcycle:

http://www.tobycreek.org/oil_filters/yamaha.shtml

I have a load of Toyota filters made exactly the same way.

Honda uses a number of vendors for filters, including Tennex, Toyo Roki, Filtech (which is also Toyo Roki), Vic, and Fram.

That is one of the most ridiculous charges against Fram filters. I am not a huge Fan of Fram filters...although I would use either the X2, or Tough Guard without any reservations. I am a huge Fan and user of Denso filters...and Denso and Fram both use Paper end caps because and they work fine.

No one seems to mention that the entire filter medium for 99% of all oil filters in the market is indeed Paper and thousands of Gallon of hot oil run through the paper filter element during an OCI cylce. None of these bashers are worreied that their paper filter medium might disolve and come apart, but these same "paper end bashsers" wouldn't use a Fram or Denso for that matter, because they are worried that the paper end might disintegrate and cause engine damage.

there has been absolutely no proof of the card board end caps coming apart either in a fram or a denso (aside from some vague pictures of a jet black Fram filter with a curved filter element/end cap).

In fact end caps provide a better seal for the adhesive that bonds the paper filter medium to the end caps....and guess what paper end cap bashers..... the paper medium to paper end cap forms a much better adhesive bond than a paper element to metal end cap.

I have used the kind of denso filter that use paper end caps for thousands of miles....and sometimes Fram Though Guard in a pinch and I have not had a single issue ever...

My vehicles are 1981 Mercedes 240D with 386KK
1996 Lexus LX450 with 200K
1987 Toyota 4Runner with 285K

I acquired each of these vehicles from family members with less than 100K each. I think that should provide enough real work proof that the fear of paper end cap bashers is completely unfounded.

also none of these bashers tend to point out that in most modern car design which use a cartridge type canister filter element those elements effectively all have paper end caps as well.
usa2.gif

Quote:

there has been absolutely no proof of the card board end caps coming apart either in a fram or a denso (aside from some vague pictures of a jet black Fram filter with a curved filter element/end cap).

Absolutely true ....and when other filter manufacturers adopt the practice, we'll all understand the unique value to this manufacturing technique. We'll no longer wonder why WIX, Purolator, Champion, Baldwin-Hastings, Donalson , etc. have gone to the senseless expense of hard parts in the form of steel or composites..when the obvious superior properties of the cardboard end cap was before their eyes all along. Why did they waste billions over many decades while Fram had this niche wonder exclusively to themselves?
confused.gif
Their bean counters and engineers should be shot for incompetence and gross negligence.
dunno.gif

smile.gif

That statement only means that Purolator designed it. It does not say they manufacture it. It realy is not clear who makes it or is responsible for making it. It could be made by some contract manufacturer in a Third World country with very different quality controls and standards.

Quote:

Pep Boys now carries Valvoline filters. They say "Enginered by Purolator" right on the box.
I am new to this site, so sorry for missing the quote on the previous post.

This statement means they designed the filter. It can be a bit of marketing spin.
smile.gif
It does not mean they make it or are responsible for the methods or quality of manufacture.
src="/forums/graemlins/dunno.gif" />

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back