wix makes fram filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My buddys wife said when she had her motorcycle, she read online the same company that makes wix makes fram...

Can someone clear this up for me? IM rather certain she's mislead but I'd like to see what makes what.

Fwiw, she said ( the boxes had the same manufacture logos on them ) so im serious if the same packaging company made boxes for..... well all filters lolol

Originally Posted By: Fluids
Honeywell makes Fram, not Wix.

Neht anymoure...

Honewell sold Fram several years ago. The company they sold to bought Champion Labs, and now operates both under the 'Fram Filtration' umbrella.

Wix is still Wix and has nothing to do with Fram. Not sure who owns them, used to be Dana but I think they've been out of the picture for a while too.

Would not be surprised if some low volume filter applications are outsourced and made by others. Seems like a had this opinion about some Wix filters in the past.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: Fluids
Honeywell makes Fram, not Wix.

Neht anymoure...

Honewell sold Fram several years ago. The company they sold to bought Champion Labs, and now operates both under the 'Fram Filtration' umbrella.

Wix is still Wix and has nothing to do with Fram. Not sure who owns them, used to be Dana but I think they've been out of the picture for a while too.

They are owned by Affinia.

http://www.affiniagroup.com/

ALL of the filter manufactures purchase filters from each other. Usually they are low volume or "new" applications. In the case for "new" applications, manufacturers wait to see if the volume of sales is sufficient to justify start-up production costs.

Ok I see everyones point. She was also saying (wix and fram filters are the same thing) which we all know the guts in a fram look nothing like a wix..

Right then I knew she was honestly mistaken

Originally Posted By: Pete C.
ALL of the filter manufactures purchase filters from each other. Usually they are low volume or "new" applications. In the case for "new" applications, manufacturers wait to see if the volume of sales is sufficient to justify start-up production costs.

That is quite a statement, Pete. Kinda muddies the water ....
35.gif

Can you still have an OCOD if it's painted white/blue/green ??

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear

That is quite a statement, Pete. Kinda muddies the water ....
35.gif

Can you still have an OCOD if it's painted white/blue/green ??

I marvel at the implications therein ...
Some BITOG heads just exploded.

Wally's finally started carrying the Fram cartridge filter for our KIA. I pulled one out and it said "Mahle" on it.

I've been waiting for them to do so for some time, as finding good filters at a reasonable price for that vehicle has been a real challenge. To my disappointment they were priced at 10 bucks, not the 5-6 I was hoping for like the other cartridge Frams at Wallys.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Wally's finally started carrying the Fram cartridge filter for our KIA. I pulled one out and it said "Mahle" on it.

I've been waiting for them to do so for some time, as finding good filters at a reasonable price for that vehicle has been a real challenge. To my disappointment they were priced at 10 bucks, not the 5-6 I was hoping for like the other cartridge Frams at Wallys.
frown.gif

That's because the middle man (Mahle) needs a piece of the profit.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Papa Bear said:
Pete C. said:

May be quite a statement in your world, but in the manufacturing world it's reality.
Change the paint color on the line and the labels and you go from Wix to NAPA to Carquest to Purolator and you have a filter. Buy from Donaldson and they'll label it whatever you want. Or send them to you for finishing. Need filters for a Ford and you don't have assembly time, but all the components, send the parts out for assembly, a-la Amsoil.

Last edited:
Wally's finally started carrying the Fram cartridge filter for our KIA. I pulled one out and it said "Mahle" on it....

Well, Mahle now makes H/K oems as I posted pics of in this thread. So while I haven't seen them personally, seems as though Fram is simply re-boxing the Mahle made oem filter(s). As with other filters such as some VDub/Audi posted here previously, just not enough sold currently to make it profitable to make their own Fram application. Price wise, $10 was about what the dealer was charging for the Mahle, but checking with a local Kia dealer they were selling all their filters for ~$7.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Papa Bear said:
Pete C. said:

May be quite a statement in your world, but in the manufacturing world it's reality.
Change the paint color on the line and the labels and you go from Wix to NAPA to Carquest to Purolator and you have a filter. Buy from Donaldson and they'll label it whatever you want. Or send them to you for finishing. Need filters for a Ford and you don't have assembly time, but all the components, send the parts out for assembly, a-la Amsoil.

Sorry, Pete, I was being facetious; well aware of brand relabeling. We make many brands of our producst in the HVAC industry under the same roof on the same lines, etc.

I was implying that many BITOGers are not likely to be thrilled that their favorite brand is possibly made alongside the OCOD, etc.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Wally's finally started carrying the Fram cartridge filter for our KIA. I pulled one out and it said "Mahle" on it....

Well, Mahle now makes H/K oems as I posted pics of in this thread. So while I haven't seen them personally, seems as though Fram is simply re-boxing the Mahle made oem filter(s). As with other filters such as some VDub/Audi posted here previously, just not enough sold currently to make it profitable to make their own Fram application. Price wise, $10 was about what the dealer was charging for the Mahle, but checking with a local Kia dealer they were selling all their filters for ~$7.

Yeah the original dealer installed filter I first pulled was a Mahle as well. I think Motorking posted once that Fram starts that way and if volume warrants it they'll bring production in house. Fortunately I scored some Napa Golds for 5 bucks but those won't last forever, hopefully prices will be down some before I need more.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

frown.gif

That's because the middle man (Mahle) needs a piece of the profit.

DUH..Mahle is the manufacturer...Fram would be the middleman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back