d.i. turbo: what conv oil if you had/wanted to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
Since Hyundai only uses conventional oil during maint visits (you must request syn or blend if wanted), and synthetics isnt required according to them at their 3 or 5k mile oci, most American/Canadian households, BITOGers not withstanding, will be using conventional oil.

What conventional oils would you consider?

PYB
GTX
VWB
QSGB
MS5K
Havoline
etc...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
PYB

I should have clarified why - with the current batch having Noack of only 6.5, there is definitely plenty of group III+ in it.
smile.gif

PYB

I should have clarified why - with the current batch having Noack of only 6.5, there is definitely plenty of group III+ in it.
smile.gif

+1 to that logic.

I'd be leaning towards QSGB and PYB, but they are all fine choices. If I was in a hurry, GTX would be the no brainer since it's easy to find on sale. If I wanted to stay away from Walmart, Canadian Tire, or parts stores of any sort and wanted to buy at a distributor, it would actually be Formula Shell or Mobil Super 1000.

PYB

smile.gif

Are you of the opinion that the low Noack number associated with the 5w20 translates thru the entire viscosity range? It sounds logical to me.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Are you of the opinion that the low Noack number associated with the 5w20 translates thru the entire viscosity range? It sounds logical to me.

Good question, and I don't know, really.

Does Hyundai not allow the use of 5w-20 grade?

PYB / QSGB / MS5K.

With the D.I. engines and fuel dilution, suggest you keep OCI's to 5K.

QP,
Inside the manual it only says 5w-10w30. The back cover lists 5w20, 5w30 and 10w30 as allowed with no distinction as to which engine uses what. So in a literal sense at face value, it may. But for sure, 5w-10w30. The Santa Fe Sport manual does not list 5w40 as permitted either (in case anyone wonders).

I'm surprised GTX 5w30 isnt a first choice for some, having an almost dexos like,13.7 Noack number among the 5w30's according to PQIA.

Last edited:
Out of those, PYB all the way.

We don't know if they're using GTL / GIII+ in PYB 5W-30, but PYB would be my choice regardless.

Since SOPUS prints the manufacture date on the bottles, you can always buy the newest batch you can find, and hope it is full of GTL
wink.gif

As others have said, keep the OCIs at 5k or under. D.I. Turbo in S. Fl. sounds like it would be hard on the oil.

PYB

smile.gif

I still think there was a lab error/mixup here. Hard to find 10w30 synthetic with no vii reporting at that level NOACK. Maybe they are using a new DP that has lower volatility solvent oil to (eventually) meet DEXOS I. In any event GF5 is reformed for turbo use (really this time
smile.gif
) as one of the targets.

Last edited:
Are you of the opinion that the low Noack number associated with the 5w20 translates thru the entire viscosity range?

Be cautious about reading too much into those NOACK numbers. Mola has commented on that already. I will say I like the low NOACK numbers. I'm not stretching it to the point that I somehow believe SOPUS is selling me PU in a PYB bottle at PYB prices or, if there was a reason to do such a strange thing right now (or at least at the time of testing) that it would be an ongoing or permanent thing.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Are you of the opinion that the low Noack number associated with the 5w20 translates thru the entire viscosity range?

Be cautious about reading too much into those NOACK numbers. Mola has commented on that already. I will say I like the low NOACK numbers. I'm not stretching it to the point that I somehow believe SOPUS is selling me PU in a PYB bottle at PYB prices or, if there was a reason to do such a strange thing right now (or at least at the time of testing) that it would be an ongoing or permanent thing.

Words of caution

None...I would never use conventional in a turbo car. I would use PP or Mobil1

I'm surprised GTX 5w30 isnt a first choice for some, having an almost dexos like,13.7 Noack number among the 5w30's according to PQIA.

I always used Castrol back in the day, but the cost is typically a lot more now compared to other choices.

Originally Posted By: Doog

Thread concerns conventional.

Originally Posted By: Doog

Thread concerns conventional.

I would have to agree that I would never consider conventional. Many people on Hyundai forums would post about the differences they felt switching from conventional over to synthetic for their turbos and using a slightly higher weight oil, such as 5w30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back