Best way to document DIY oil changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Greggy_D
I use the BITOG oil change thread.

happy2.gif

Best answer!!

In all seriousness though, receipts should be more than enough. I'm not even sure the dealer would ask for them though, unless the engine was sludged up and looked like it had been neglected.

I would probably advise against storing it in your OE's website even though that is convenient if you ever did have a dispute that ended in you suing them that data could easily dissapear. I mean you could print it first but why have to go through that. Also what if they cancel that website because it's not really being used and all your data is gone one day.

Just food for thought.

Last edited:
Agree aforementioned! Keep a ledger with receipts and take a quick pick of your oil and filter for posterity. I always like to let my oil drip overnight in my garage. But, it's not necessary, just patient.

I always buy the dealer oem oil filter each time I need an oil change. I write the date and mileage at the top along with the receipt along with the grade of oil used. I buy the oil at Walmart and do not attach that receipt. It won't be any good after a while anyway. I keep the receipts in a folder of all the maintenance and purchase information

I use an app called "Acar" which recently was bought out by Fuelly. The app costs a few bucks, but worth every penny. You can enter in maintenance, fill-ups, and recently they added the ability to upload pictures with each log entry. It also has reminders, which you can set to whichever interval you prefer. I normally don't forget oil changes, but it's handy for things like remembering to check air pressure periodically, rotating tires, air filter, those sorts of things. If you record fuel fills, the reminder is spot on and and lets you know ahead of time when you need service-- or you can take a quick glance and see when the next services are due.

Copy receipt with mileage for oil and filter then upload to Dropbox in folder for vehicle
Also Mopar app as well as Valvoline my car
One has to be there. Also fulley gets log. CYA

Last edited:
I printed out a table I made in MS Excel and write it in every time I perform maintenance or repairs on our vehicles and put it in a 3 ring binder. I also put the receipts in their also.

Originally Posted by 28oz
Originally Posted by SirTanon
I track all the maintenance and repair work I do on my Fusion on the MyCarFax app. Keeps a readily-accessible record of everything.

+1

Also available at www.mycarfax.com. Also gives you some level of vehicle history.............for free.

MyCarFax app is awesome! The latest version allows you to upload an image of receipts and stores it with the maintanance record. Many repair shops upload the repair info automatically in case you hire out the repairs.

Last edited:
The Car Fax app is the way to go. I'm interested because the oil changes listed on the app could get me more money when the vehicle is sold. I know I would pay more for a car or truck that has had oil changes on a regular basis.

Thanks, guys. Lots of good ideas here. I think I'll use an app and save my receipts in a folder along with the dealership receipts.

I write the date, milage, and what was done down in the owners manual in the spaces provided by the engineers. No need to second guess the engineers!

I snap a picture with my phone of the used oil and filter, the new oil and filter, and the OLM/miles on the dashboard. With metadata on the photos, it's dead certain documentation should there be a warranty question.

Originally Posted by Patman
Originally Posted by Greggy_D
I use the BITOG oil change thread.
happy2.gif
Best answer!! In all seriousness though, receipts should be more than enough. I'm not even sure the dealer would ask for them though, unless the engine was sludged up and looked like it had been neglected.
I'm liking the "store it on BITOG" idea! Then just jot down the URL address for it, and should anybody want to know about all the oil changes, email or text them the list of URL's to go look for themselves, with pictures there, descriptions, etc., or you can print out the web pages for anybody if an engine failed.

Also, I like the mycarfax idea above, since in the future, when you sell or trade it in, it's all already on the CarFax they could pull on the used car.

For my Corvette I will also have the record of all the oil analysis reports too, which will also sync up with the dates that I've written down in the log book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back