Best way to document DIY oil changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just added my last oil change to my wife's Toyota Prius via their system. I have the car uploaded on myCarFax and will cross reference if this actually reflects the maintenance history. I am betting that it doesn't. For the SAME reason you can't add service records to your car via myCarFax. You don't have a subscription. Now, maybe Toyota can see these self reported records, but I am guessing noone else can. $20 bet?

I write it on the garage wall in sharpie. One column for each car. Mileage and date. I have columns for tire rotation too.

Got rid of two cars since I've lived in this house, so it's about time to paint over those columns to make room for more logging!

Write oil, filter and mileage down somewhere and keep UPC receipts that detail what you bought - plus where and when must be visible on the receipt.

Just about every manufacturer has a website that you can store your information. I know Hyundai and Kia has websites I keep stored info-in.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Write oil, filter and mileage down somewhere and keep UPC receipts that detail what you bought - plus where and when must be visible on the receipt.

Just about every manufacturer has a website that you can store your information. I know Hyundai and Kia has websites I keep stored info-in.

That's not the point though. IF the new owner of the car knows about these online resources they will be able to track down this maintenance data, but it is probably not reflected on the CarFax report and that is what is trumpeted as the valuable car history.

The receipts and handwritten or computer derived notes are most likely the best way. When the car is sold, just hand everything over.

This and a shot of odometer plus cut open filter

47AA12D1-FCDA-4582-AE35-94A99A106F59.jpeg

Yep! Odometer snapshot, Oil/filter receipts kept. I always photocopied the store recipes right away as the ink usually fades on the store receipts.

Originally Posted by 4WD
This and a shot of odometer plus cut open filter

Almost 100% correct. What's missing is a copy of the receipt, right in front of that jug-pic. There's plenty of room for it laying across the front.

Fantastic oil choice 4WD. The Mobil-1 AP is on my shopping list when Mobil-1 Annual Rebate Program arrive in a month or two. However no more Mobil-1 oil filters for me. I'm done with the louvers thingy. May move to Fram TGs. Good for 26+K..... right Adam?.....lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back