What oil for new to me taurus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
I did not answer because i did not see it...
Are you saying that the Mobil PDS has been the exact same since 2011?

What about Pennzoil i did not see any PDS past 2014 unless i missed something..

Pennzoil used to be my go to Engine oil... I still think pennzoil is a good oil even know some have said it has changed. However Mobil has become my go to engine oil for a few reasons

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4222917/Re:_Trying_Pennzoil_Platinum_H#Post4222917

Any of the instock napa will serve well at 5 to 7,500 oci. Heck a vulcan will do well at 5 to 7,500 with any 5w-20 or 30.
I have had a few vulcans in rangers and one in a taurus. All were good motors.
The rangers seen anything from 15w-40/sae30 to 5w-20. I liked the 5w-20 by far, no oci, just real world.
The taurus only seen mc 5w-20, a few oci's of m1 ep 0w-20, or cheap syn 0/5w-20.
Always use a oem filter.

harvey

Another thing that I learned about the Vulcan it's very picky on plugs. Don't use iridium and don't use anything Bosch. The autolite double Platinum is what you want.

Motorcraft plugs should be autolite sourced iirc and obviously the Motorcraft wires are the best choice.

I'm sure you've heard about the CPS issue, do not use any Dorman part there they will lock up the engine with no oil pressure

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Do the gaskets whenever you can, and replace the spark plugs at that time, and use NGK or Denso iridium (they're good for 100k so you won't have to go back there for a long time).

My choice would be Smitty's HM, if you're near a K-mart, since it's often on sale for well under $10 for a 5qt jug (or a little over $2/qt for the single qt bottles). Maxlife is a very good HM though, the first HM and still the best.

I know you don't want synthetic, but Napa Synthetic is only $2.99/qt right now, so you can pick up a few extra qts for the leaking. They also sell Liqui-Moly Motor Oil Saver, a good stop leak.

For a filter, use the cheapest Wix-made filter (ST, Napa Silver or Proselect, Microgard, Parts Master, Pro-Tec, etc). Of course, nothing wrong with regular Wix/Napa Gold, either.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Not enough info. What year is the Taurus? Miles on the vehicle? What wt of oil called for on the oil fill cap?

OP says it specs 5w20, and the sig indicates an 03 Vulcan
smile.gif

If he wants a HM oil Napa High Mileage is $2.49 a quart around here. He could go this route. If not Super Tech HM would work also.

the Napa High mileage oil similar to maxlife?

i see in the local flyer here its on sale for 2.59 a quart. sounds a good deal and maybe i'll get some myself

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I see you went with Pennzoil gold 5w30

Yea they only had maxlife 5w20 and 10w40. And pyb was about a dollar difference from Pennzoil gold and i wanted a syn blend oil.

Make your own synblend. That jug you bought has no more than a 33% blend and perhaps only 25%.
I blended for years. Always used 50-50%.

.... and no, it never weakened the duration of the OCI, or the add-pack. Just stick to the same brand of oil.
The last vehicle I drove to the junkyard because of bad rust, had almost 300K and was always blended. It arrived at the junkyard using only a half-quart top-offs and the dipstick was brown, not black.

In those years, I exclusively used Pennzoil, Valvoline or Castrol. Nowadays I use synthetics-only, for the price of name-brand dinos has risen and for only $5 more per oil change, I can be all-synthetic in my engines.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back