whats the best product to keep gas fresh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im having no luck here. I have tried stabil,marine stable and that premixed gas in a can.it all goes bad in 6 months. The stuff in a can may be ok in the can but once opened it goes bad quickly too. That is if the top of the can doesnt rot off which 2 of mine have done. Im in socal and can only buy e10 at the pump.

Is it possible that the problem is the brand of gas that you're buying... and not the additive?

I'm in Illinois, and we've had ethanol blended gas for almost 30 years now... so we're used to dealing with it.

Many modern fuels go "rancid" quite rapidly. Including "recreational 90" boat fuel.

The real solution is to purchase "VP Fuels" C9 storage and race fuel (Sunoco makes a similar storage fuel) It's a 96 octane unleaded, non oxygenated and it really does last nearly forever. I've discovered that even after 10 years in a barrel, VP Fuels don't go bad. And, the C9 is reasonably priced around Ft Lauderdale, FL, at $7.50/gal.

And C9 has been in my "fire pump" engine for years without any issues. Still runs perfectly and is fresh. Used the pump for an extended period of time last week, on very old C9.

c9-storage-fuel-small.png

I've given up on trying to make pump gasoline last for years. Here in Hot South Florida, it's an impossibility. Regardless of additive.

Last edited:
The only product that I have had good luck with is PRI-G, by Power Resources Industries which can be found at boat supply houses like West Marine, Boater's World, or Bass Pro Shops. StarTron by Starbrite is OK, but Stabil has never worked in my motorcycles or lawn equipment. The real key to keeping gas fresh is to store it in an all metal safety can. I have both Eagle & Justrite safety gas cans in the 5 gallon size and prefer the Eagle can for ease of use, although the Justrite has a more durable epoxy paint finish. The safety cans are airtight and won't allow the volatile organic compounds to evaporate, nor will it allow outside moisture vapor to infiltrate.

I've always used either Stabil or Sea Foam when storing snowmobiles for the summmer and lawn mowers for the winter. Never had a problem, even with E10 gas.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Im having no luck here. I have tried stabil,marine stable and that premixed gas in a can.it all goes bad in 6 months. The stuff in a can may be ok in the can but once opened it goes bad quickly too. That is if the top of the can doesnt rot off which 2 of mine have done. Im in socal and can only buy e10 at the pump.

How are you determining it goes bad? Blue Stabil at 1 oz / 5 gal.

Originally Posted By: Nukeman7
The only product that I have had good luck with is PRI-G, by Power Resources Industries which can be found at boat supply houses like West Marine, Boater's World, or Bass Pro Shops. StarTron by Starbrite is OK, but Stabil has never worked in my motorcycles or lawn equipment. The real key to keeping gas fresh is to store it in an all metal safety can. I have both Eagle & Justrite safety gas cans in the 5 gallon size and prefer the Eagle can for ease of use, although the Justrite has a more durable epoxy paint finish. The safety cans are airtight and won't allow the volatile organic compounds to evaporate, nor will it allow outside moisture vapor to infiltrate.

I have never tried PRI-G but their claim that they can bring old gas back to life (which cannot be done) makes me wonder about their products, so I avoid.

Originally Posted By: ronbo
Have you tried http://pure-gas.org for real 100% ethanol-free gasoline , or marina's or small airports.
as far as normal gas im in ca and we can only get e10 here. I have not tried airplane fuel.is it ok to use in small engines?

We only have 3 suppliers here. Chevron or shell/76 or arco. All the fuel here comes from one of these 3 suppliers

Originally Posted By: Donald

How are you determining it goes bad? Blue Stabil at 1 oz / 5 gal.
it stinks like bad gas and gums up my carbs. If i leave gas in the carbs they gum up and if i leave them empty they corrode with white powder that plugs jets.

The stuff in a can may be ok in the can but once opened it goes bad quickly too. That is if the top of the can doesnt rot off which 2 of mine have done.

That certainly doesn't mirror my experience. What brand did you use?

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
The stuff in a can may be ok in the can but once opened it goes bad quickly too. That is if the top of the can doesnt rot off which 2 of mine have done.

That certainly doesn't mirror my experience. What brand did you use?

tru fuel

tru fuel

In you're having such difficulty with "can gas", the best alternative I can offer is 100LL @ KAPV -- $5.45 self-service. With the exception of lead on the valves of low compression engines, it's perfectly acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back