Generator needs pure gas not E10 what to do?

It is a Craftsman 5600 Watt model no. 580.325601 with a 10 hp B&S engine. I always store the engine dry, no gas in the carb or fuel tank.
I have that same generator . I've never run anything but Regular 87 octane pump gas through mine . When I'm done with it I shut the fuel cutoff and let it die . It gets exercised at least once a month for about 15 minutes .

When you need power run whatever gas is available. Regular, super, whatever you can get.
It's storage after the event that is the important E0 and stabilizer requirement for it being ready to go the next time.
Was on gen. for 11 days a few years ago, afterwards it was a synth. oil change, drained out the E10 and put the stabilized E0 in and run it dry with fuel turned off.
My 12 yr old 5600/8000w BS powered Craftsman has been a dependable unit doing this, always stored fueled and ready to go. If not used for a year it gets the fuel changed out, but that's not been the norm lately. 5-30w synth. oil changes and plug gets checked.
I'm a maintenance. geek also.

It will be fine on E10- with the normal caveats that apply to E10 gas and storage
This.

You'll be fine actively running on it, and I can't imagine that any manufacturer selling equipment in the US in the past 25 years is building something like a generator that can't handle e10 gasoline. It's been nearly ubiquitous in a lot of markets since the mid 1990s.

More than likely, they're concerned about you running your generator for a period, then just turning it off and storing it with gas in the carburetor and tank; under those circumstances e10 is problematic- it can attract water, cause corrosion, mess up rubber/plastic parts, etc...

So your best bet is probably to run the e10 when you're actively using the generator, and when you go to store it, drain the tank, drain the carb, and get some of that 4-cycle fuel that's basically non-ethanol gasoline, and run that for a little while, then drain everything again. That'll get rid of any e10 and set you up for extended storage.

I've never purchased non ethanol gas , ever . My equipment runs just fine and I sleep well at night . 😁

I have used E10 gas for the last 25 years with 0 problems in all my OPE including my 5KW Powermate gen.

No issues here as well. Matter of fact,on my B&S lawn tractor,it says right on top E10 gas can be used.

🤷

As other great and brave minds already said:

Absolutely no methanol cut fuels. It's just pure acid under combustion.

Ethanol fuels or whatever your generator can run strongly on... do it.

When storage time comes? Drop the fuel. Run it dry. Pour off that ethanol cut fuel into a frequently used mower or car. Just don't let it sit. Let her sputter out and draw down the tank and carb bowl.

Every season or 50hrs operating ... change the oil. No questions asked.

If you cannot store ethanol free fuel with stabilizer (only really good for 6 months anyway) Go ahead and run the generator on 10% ethanol or reformulated fuel but simply don't let it sit in the generator tank and carbs more than a month. Again simply tilt it over and spill it out and run it dry and used the reclaimed fuel in a frequently used mower or car. The sad truth is ethanol blended gas doesn't age well in any Carburetor or standby situation.

Pure fuels are more expensive. (I.e. Sunoco EtOH free 90 octane premium) But they store easier and last as long as a year with the simplest, cheapest stabilizer additive) *not a sponsor*

Be it on your head that you decide to store mass quantities of fuel or slug it out at the pumps when disaster decides to blow thorough and you simply need it.

Where I live? I'm no bad boy. But when storm season strikes and folks start to get testy for ice, drinking water, fuel and batteries? I keep my 10mm hand blaster in the center console. Stuff gets ugly real quick, yo.

Back