Generator needs pure gas not E10 what to do?

My 2005 generator manual states specifically not to use any ethanol blended gas. Very hard to find especially after hurricane Ida down here in south Ms. What can I do if E10 is the only thing available? Can I expect damage if I have to run some E10 in the engine? It would be just until I can get pure gas.

We have many stations around Colorado that offer "Blue Gas", as I call it. It is 0% Ethanol. It usually runs about 20-30 cents per gallon more expensive, but well worth the cost, as its self life is much, much longer. Ethanol free is all I run in all my small engines and I have a dozen, 5 gallon jugs of it in the wings.

Not sure where you live, but here are all the Ethanol-free gas stations in MS.

I have equipment that states "DO NOT USE METHANOL/ETHANOL/GASOHOL TYPE FUELS. And ethanol fuels is all I have ever used in them. Some of my equipment is 25-28 yrs old and never seen non-ethanol gas. They all run fine however I can't answer for your situation.

If you're actively using it, I don't think E10 would hurt, just when you go back to it sitting unused put some E0 back in it.
This, either run it dry after use, or buy some E0 to put in it before storage.

Unless it just won't run properly on E10 that is. If it won't, you'll have to either adjust the carb, or make other arrangements.

I have always used EtOH gas even if it said not to and so long as I use Sta-Bil I've never had a problem. The first year I had my snowblower I did not use Sta-Bil and the next season I needed the carb cleaned - that was 14 years ago?.

I have equipment that states "DO NOT USE METHANOL/ETHANOL/GASOHOL TYPE FUELS. And ethanol fuels is all I have ever used in them. Some of my equipment is 25-28 yrs old and never seen non-ethanol gas. They all run fine however I can't answer for your situation.
I agree. I use a fuel stabilizer as well and I did forget to mention this above.

The concern with E10 is with storage, not operation. Go ahead and run it with E10 gas, and plan on running the carb dry when you put the generator back in storage. I have been doing this for 10 years with mine.

My 2005 generator manual states specifically not to use any ethanol blended gas. Very hard to find especially after hurricane Ida down here in south Ms. What can I do if E10 is the only thing available? Can I expect damage if I have to run some E10 in the engine? It would be just until I can get pure gas.
Which make and model of generator is this?

Run it on the fuel that is available.

I use Marine Stabil 360 and also 1 oz per 5 gallons of 2-cycle oil (I use marine TCW-3 oil). The oil also helps prevent corrosion and fights effects of ethonol.

When you are done with the generator, run it dry. You can put a cup of TruFuel in it to flush the tank/carb if you want, then run it dry again. I would recommend the TruFuel 40:1 to get the benefit of coating everything with a thin film of oil for dry storage.

It is a Craftsman 5600 Watt model no. 580.325601 with a 10 hp B&S engine. I always store the engine dry, no gas in the carb or fuel tank.

It is a Craftsman 5600 Watt model no. 580.325601 with a 10 hp B&S engine. I always store the engine dry, no gas in the carb or fuel tank.
The owner's manual I saw online prohibits the use of gasoline blended with methanol but I saw no such prohibition for ethanol. It says not to store the engine more than 30 days with gasoline which contains ethanol but I don't see anything about operation using the fuel.

Even my old Toro lawn mower from 1990 allows the use of E10, your generator from 2005 should be well capable of handling the fuel.

I think you will be fine burning the E10, it is the storage of the E10 that might create an issue. OP, you said you store it dry so that is good. If you are really concerned about it buy a small bottle of True Fuel to run through it after you empty the E10 to "flush out anything left behind".

Just my $0.02

kschachn is absolutely right. My 73 year old eyes played tricks on me. Methanol not Ethanol. Some people (me) shouldn't mess with machinery if they can't read.

Use a fuel stabilizer and run it dry after each use. Never store untreated gas with ethanol in the tank. It will be okay to run it on E10 in an emergency; just make sure you get it all out of there later.

See https://www.pure-gas.org/ for where to get ethanol free fuel near you. Personally I run ethanol free fuel in all of my OPE, but I would not hesitate to run E10 during an emergency. Just be sure to get it all out before putting the machine in storage.

Use a fuel stabilizer and run it dry after each use. Never store untreated gas with ethanol in the tank. It will be okay to run it on E10 in an emergency; just make sure you get it all out of there later.

See https://www.pure-gas.org/ for where to get ethanol free fuel near you. Personally I run ethanol free fuel in all of my OPE, but I would not hesitate to run E10 during an emergency. Just be sure to get it all out before putting the machine in storage.
It’s okay to run E10 all the time not just in an emergency. I live in an EPA nonattainment area and it’s all we’ve been able to buy here for well over 20 years. My 30 year-old lawnmower and all the rest of my relatively old OPE runs just fine on it.

In my experience there’s a lot of fear mongering over E10 and OPE.

It will be fine on E10- with the normal caveats that apply to E10 gas and storage

It's E85 that won't be kosher.

Back