What is it with the Northeast and missing gas pump auto-hold tangs?

I walked into the Kiosk to pay and explain what had happened to the Woman behind the desk, citing that my shoes and trousers were ruined to which she replied "Do you know what? You're the 3rd person to complain about that pump today!". I just said "I think it would have been wise to investigate after the first complaint, don't you?" and stormed off.

That's the sort of thing I would expect to happen around here.

Someone with a functioning brain might have turned the pump off or put an out of service notice on it.

Since NJ is full serve, that would really hinder filling cars if attendants had to stand there with hand on nozzle. But what is messed up is the long rubber boot that seals on the tank opening. I thought these were to be done away with 10+ years ago. They cause the pump to stop which is a pita with full serve.

But what is messed up is the long rubber boot that seals on the tank opening. I thought these were to be done away with 10+ years ago.

I haven't seen one of those in years. Was it attached to a pump that still has the odometer-style gallons and cost display with the spinning numbers?

I haven't seen one of those in years. Was it attached to a pump that still has the odometer-style gallons and cost display with the spinning numbers?
Pretty ridiculous making the associate turn a crank and then the seal breaks and gas stops flowing..

I just got back from a trip to visit family in northern Vermont/New Hampshire. It has always been a pet peeve of mine, that whenever I go east of Ohio, gas stations break off the pump hold tab, forcing you to hold the nozzle and just watch the numbers spin upward. If that weren't bad enough, it rubs salt in the wound that I'm paying $0.50+ more per gallon than I do at home.
Haven't seen them in years near me. I always see a sign, "DO NOT LEAVE PUMP UNATTENDED"
No skin off my bones, I usually only get 3 -4 gallons. only drive about 425 miles a month now and my car seems to run and handle best with a half tank. So I run it down from a bit under 3/4 tank to a bit over 1/4 tank.

Those rubber boot things are a smog deal, vapor recovery system. They were briefly popular here but seem to have gone away.

They figured out how to make vapor recovery work without using a rubber boot. So they're older (and probably obsolete).

For me, it’d be last week. A local place here not only as the cheapest advertised gas, they also take $.05 off each gallon if you pay with cash. I guess they are avoiding the CC charge.

Cheapest gas around me tends to be either Sheetz or Costco. Sheetz doesn't discount for cash use and Costco doesn't take cash for gas purchases.

Also no tang keeps people from driving off with nozzle.

Especially since they stop going to that station, and find a new gas station to frequent.

No nozzle lock tab, I'll be a one and done at that station.
There are a lot of choices for people to go to. Treat your customers well, or watch them shop elsewhere.

How many videos and pictures of knuckleheads driving down the road with a nozzle still in and trailing the hose that broke off the quick disconnector have we seen? Thats why the auto hold is taken off. Any station that has a nozzle ripped off a pump will disable the auto hold.

I'll gladly give you the tangs off the pumps at my local Exxon. The return springs are all missing and they serve no purpose but preventing the handle from resetting. Gassing up there is a two-handed job.

We removed ours from our dispensers for safety and environmental reasons. Back in the day a police officer stuck the dispenser nozzle in his patrol unit and came inside to use the restroom. The nozzle had fallen out and we had 20+ gallons of fuel across the parking lot headed to the creek. Luckily we had a spill plan and spill “pigs” in the emergency spill locker that was clearly marked. The officer got the spill pigs down and contained the spill but oh crap the documentation and hoops with our EP folks….

I think it is state law in NY, but it sure isn’t in NH, all the pumps I go to are just fine. Not sure about the rest, I rarely go out of state at the moment.
I don't believe it's the law here because some gas stations have the trigger locks intact, some don't. Some have them on some pumps and not on others. I just gassed up my Frontier at the Valero station down the road from my house. The pump I used had the trigger lock.

Back