What is it with the Northeast and missing gas pump auto-hold tangs?

It's an anti-fraud thing. Say you wanted only $10 worth. You can't go to the cashier and claim that the "nozzle wouldn't shut off" because of the clicker "jammed" or whatever BS story they create. With your hand on the trigger, you are presumed to be in control. They hardly remove them around here anymore...I guess because people almost always pay with a card these days.

It's hit and miss in PA. I always assumed it was just lack of caring or maintenance at the fuel station. Never even considered it a town ordinance or a fire marshal issue. I stand by the car regardless of the weather and I don't leave the engine running even in the dead of winter however we will never get colder than single digits so those up north getting below that have a pass in my book.

It's an anti-fraud thing. Say you wanted only $10 worth. You can't go to the cashier and claim that the "nozzle wouldn't shut off" because of the clicker "jammed" or whatever BS story they create.

If you only want $10 worth, you prepay the $10 and the pump automatically shuts off at $10.

I know of no gas stations that still allow pay after pump. That went away years ago.

I bought gas this morning, paid cash.

Pay cash 90% of the time.

Save between .5 and .10 a gallon when filling wo trucks every week, plus boats, sand cars, ATV's, mowers, trimmers, blowers, gennies it adds up.

Could care less day to day if Im a few gallons under full, I just use round numbers on fill day.

Non working tangs are a pain. I'll just use another station.

Pay cash 90% of the time.

Save between .5 and .10 a gallon when filling wo trucks every week, plus boats, sand cars, ATV's, mowers, trimmers, blowers, gennies it adds up.

Could care less day to day if Im a few gallons under full, I just use round numbers on fill day.

Non working tangs are a pain. I'll just use another station.
I buy at costco and use a 5% gas cash rewards card, automatically subtracted from the monthly statement. Costco doesn’t accept cash and is normally cheaper than all surrounding stations

I’ve seen people do that (full serve NJ) it seems to slow everything down. But I wouldn’t want to pay 5% more and take longer to leave

I buy at costco and use a 5% gas cash rewards card, automatically subtracted from the monthly statement. Costco doesn’t accept cash and is normally cheaper than all surrounding stations

Costco usually has the cheapest gas, but there were always two sometimes 3 problems with that choice.

1. You had to be either at near or at a Costco
2. You had to commit to a wait at the ones that were closest to me in the city.
3. The costco on Washington in LA cannot handle a boat, you cant get in and get out without curbing it.

People talk about lines at chargers, but I was never at a costco without a line.

How many videos and pictures of knuckleheads driving down the road with a nozzle still in and trailing the hose that broke off the quick disconnector have we seen? Thats why the auto hold is taken off. Any station that has a nozzle ripped off a pump will disable the auto hold.

And yet in 35 years as a truck driver, sometimes hauling fuel to gas stations, I've never seen a car driving along with the gas pump hose dragging, or know anyone who has, and talking to many station owners have they had that happen. It's not like a pandemic of motorists driving around dragging fuel hoses with them. If I ever do see it, I'll snap a photo and post it here.

It's an anti-fraud thing. Say you wanted only $10 worth. You can't go to the cashier and claim that the "nozzle wouldn't shut off" because of the clicker "jammed" or whatever BS story they create. With your hand on the trigger, you are presumed to be in control. They hardly remove them around here anymore...I guess because people almost always pay with a card these days.

We are 100% prepay. If you want $10 worth you hand the attendant $10, and the pump kicks off when it reaches that amount.

Costco usually has the cheapest gas, but there were always two sometimes 3 problems with that choice.

3. The costco on Washington in LA cannot handle a boat, you cant get in and get out without curbing it.

People talk about lines at chargers, but I was never at a costco without a line.
Handle a boat ? Heck, they can’t handle Kia Souls without blocking everyone else …
Guess that’s why the boat and RV crowds love Bucees ✅

And yet in 35 years as a truck driver, sometimes hauling fuel to gas stations, I've never seen a car driving along with the gas pump hose dragging, or know anyone who has, and talking to many station owners have they had that happen. It's not like a pandemic of motorists driving around dragging fuel hoses with them. If I ever do see it, I'll snap a photo and post it here.
Same - and I’ve been many places too …

Handle a boat ? Heck, they can’t handle Kia Souls without blocking everyone else …
Guess that’s why the boat and RV crowds love Bucees ✅
I wish we had buck ees - the restrooms in large stations here are absolute trash.
Im happy to buy a pack of snacks if my lady can sit on a seat without getting crabs.

I filled up at costco once...bad decision...and never again.

Besides with my cash discount at my favorite station, they are cheaper than costco. The gal who manages it also hands me a free premium car wash code to, so i drive around back and go through the touchless wash. Those car washes are $10 each, and costco doesn't even have a car wash. Yesterday I sent my 6 year old inside with $50 cash to give the lady...I was already pumping fuel when she came back outside and said look dad i got a car wash to...and she loves sitting in the car as it gets washed, she thinks that is really fun. We crank the music up loud and get a clean car.

Uh, ‘zactly how does that minimize spills?

What I have observed in those “no tang” situations is Bubba or Cooter trying to squeeze the last 1/10 of an ounce into the gas tank.

And they just keep squeezing until there’s a splurge (spill) of gasoline down the side of their ride.

Of course, common sense (lacking) dictates they run to the windshield trough and use the squeegee to “detail” the appropriate quarter panel around the filler door. Sometimes while they’re there they use the squeegee to detail the entire car/pickup/suv.

When the fuel handle clicks, replace it to the pump. No milking it, no spills, no squeegee detailing.

It doesn’t take a village. It takes a tang.
It prevents you from "going off and doing something else", like clean your windshield.

I filled up at costco once...bad decision...and never again.

Besides with my cash discount at my favorite station, they are cheaper than costco. The gal who manages it also hands me a free premium car wash code to, so i drive around back and go through the touchless wash. Those car washes are $10 each, and costco doesn't even have a car wash. Yesterday I sent my 6 year old inside with $50 cash to give the lady...I was already pumping fuel when she came back outside and said look dad i got a car wash to...and she loves sitting in the car as it gets washed, she thinks that is really fun. We crank the music up loud and get a clean car.

Same here pretty much - hit the local place, come in with cash, after "X" I get a wash code.

I may end up putting a dollar or so on the counter for the local peeps, or let ether keep the change from a large soda or snacks.

I roll up at least 100 in 20's and stash them in center console so Im never completely broke from a cash perspective.

I wish we had buck ees - the restrooms in large stations here are absolute trash.
Im happy to buy a pack of snacks if my lady can sit on a seat without getting crabs.
I think the folks cleaning restrooms are making $18/hour - so I’m also happy to grab some beef jerky and a drink …
“Wants” are more - but “needs” like washer fluid or 5 gallon cans are quite reasonable …

At least in NJ you can do whatever you want while the attendant pumps it for you.

I do see that from time to time. I'm one of the few that would prefer to pump my own gas. Only time I don't is when it's 10F outside.

Back