So where's the new 0w-10 (SAE15?) oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As mentioned earlier in the thread the 0W-10 and 0W-5 grades that are marketed by some boutique oil companies are really not SAE grades.

Originally Posted By: jrustles
Who remembers the bruceblend 0w10 and the UOA in a Nissan QR25DE ??

Oh yes! And Gary Allen's experiments with that in the 4.0L Jeep engine.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Yup, the UOAs didn't throw any red flags. That was a renaissance period at BITOG, one of the major opinion changers regarding low vis. But that was an uncompromisingly well-made oil that was mostly POE IIRC?

Yup, the UOAs didn't throw any red flags. That was a renaissance period at BITOG, one of the major opinion changers regarding low vis. But that was an uncompromisingly well-made oil that was mostly POE IIRC?

I believe you are remembering correctly sir.

Gary performed a myriad of experiments with that vehicle. I believe it was the one that he had before/after oil pressure gauges on too so that he could observe the bypass and relief events.

The bruceblend 0W-10 was predominately PAO. Gary thought the HTHSV was about 2.6cP and it had a relatively low VI.
So it's viscosity characteristics were little different than a typical 5W-20 at normal operating temp's.

The current crop of 220 VI 0W-20s are much lighter oils.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
In the meantime we've got 5 very light 0W-20s from which to choose. TGMO, MGMO, Sustina, SynGard and G-Oil.

So which is thinnest?
smile.gif

And what's MGMO?
It appears Honda is specifying SAE16 for it Japanese 2014 models. Presumably their dealers sell the stuff for Japanese customers.

Last edited:
Of the oil's I've tried Sustina has the highest VI of 229 and has proven to be the lightest in service. It also has a MRV on par with M1 0W-20 so it is the lightest oil under all conditions.

MGMO (Mazda Genuine Motor Oil) has a 221 VI, G-Oil's claimed VI is 220 (we are waiting on a VOA to confirm).
SynGard has a claimed VI of 220 and HTHSV of 2.7cP.

So on balance I think Sustina is the lightest oil and the "best" oil to run in your Insight at least until the Honda 0W-16 becomes available.

I believe you are remembering correctly sir.

Gary performed a myriad of experiments with that vehicle. I believe it was the one that he had before/after oil pressure gauges on too so that he could observe the bypass and relief events.

Had heat exchangers and what-not controlling temperatures everywhere...

Including this thermostat housing in the lower radiator hose controlling the coolant temperature INTO the engine rather than the temperature of the water feeding the radiator...
thermo.jpg

One I had mde up in 1997 or thereabouts and donated to the cause (must get another made up for the Caprice, they were a good thing).

Yep, it controls the coolant inlet temperature rather than the outlet.

A traditionally located thermostat is in reality a system that uses your engine to provide a stream of constant temperature coolant to the radiator...if it's too cool, it closes in, recirculates coolant until it's warm enough, and then releases it to the radiator...a whole engine full of cold water can pass through the engine before it gets to the t-stat, meaning that you need to heat THAT up as well...overly simplistic, as it's not a batch process, but you get the drift.

That thermostat has the recirc line pointed at the bulb, through the side port, and recircs until the thermostat crack point, then bleeds cold coolant in to maintain an even inlet temperature.

Cold mornings, hopelessly inefficient Holden 253c.i. V-8, 15 minute drive to work, and the top tank would still be cold to the touch, the engine shedding bout enough heat on it's own...I did it becuse those engines were hopeless at hving ring ridge on the front two cylinders which didn't exist on the rears...the fronts had the cold water bath, and (in my supposition) inadequate activation of the additives at the TDC boundary condition.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1585680

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1284293

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: blackman777
I want to try some in my car & then run a used oil analysis. Honda claims this superthin stuff will provide "adequate" protection & I'd like to test that theory. (Note: The oilcap recommends 0w20.)

G-Oil 0W-20 is really a 0W-16 so if you want to try that go ahead:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3174977&page=1

The problem is, with a VI of only 156 and KV40 of 37.35cSt it is no lighter than TGMO , MGMO or Sustina on start-up.

When the 0W-16 becomes available it will have to have a KV40 well under the current lightest 0W-20 (Sustina) which is 32.69cSt to be in any way worthwhile.

The problem is, with a VI of only 156 and KV40 of 37.35cSt it is no lighter than TGMO , MGMO or Sustina on start-up.

When the 0W-16 becomes available it will have to have a KV40 well under the current lightest 0W-20 (Sustina) which is 32.69cSt to be in any way worthwhile.

If the HTHS of Sustina is higher than that of your 0W-16, then you will get more fuel efficiency out of the 0W-16. The EMA is essentially agreeing that HTHS is proportional to fuel consumption. If you are making short trips all the time then maybe the VHVI 0W-20 would be better, though.

I would expect when the 0W-16s are actually in the market, that ENEOS will have a Sustina VHVI in that viscosity grade.

Unless the 0W-16 is proportionally lighter on start-up than a ultra high VI 0W-20 like Sustina the fuel savings advantage will be compromised.
Yes fuel economy correlates to HTHSV but at all temp's, not just at 150C also at 100C although that spec' is not typically provided.
The higher the oil's VI is, it's HTHSV @100C will be lower relative to HTHSV @150C resulting in better fuel economy.

That said, my hunch is that the VI of the Honda 0W-16 will be high but not likely in the 220 range.
To find out we don't have to wait for Honda to release the SAE 0W-16 but simply perform a VOA/UOA (including KV40 ) on the FF of one of the Japanese made Honda's that have the "Honda Ultra Green Oil" in the sump. It's likely the same oil.

Of the oil's I've tried Sustina has the highest VI of 229 and has proven to be the lightest in service. It also has a MRV on par with M1 0W-20 so it is the lightest oil under all conditions.

I will try the Sustina fter I'm done running & analyzing the 0w-40 in my insight. I see Sustina for sale on Amazon, though the price is rather steep.

So you are SURE the Sustina is the thinnest 0w-20 available? (but not racing oil)

Originally Posted By: blackman777
So you are SURE the Sustina is the thinnest 0w-20 available? (but not racing oil)

It is probably thinner at ALL temps than even the thinnest of the absolute 0W-0 weight qualifying racing oils!!
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back