Tire Temperature question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dumb question: an overloaded tire runs hot, right? Conversely, if a tire does not run hot, then it's not overloaded?

I have a bit of a dilemma on my camper. According to the manual, it requires Load Range C tires (IIRC). I used Load Range B instead (cheapo HF ones). Only thing is, the camper came from the factory with this type of tires! Which is why I put the wrong tires on (didn't read the manual).

Now, I've put 1,500miles onto this trailer, much of it at 70mph (yes, I know, too fast). Whenever I stop the tires are asphalt temperature. They do not warm up. I'm thinking I don't need to worry about this, other than to make sure the tires stay aired up, have tread and aren't cracked.

Sounds good to me, I find a tire that's near its load limit does warm up a bit. Never had one that I couldn't hold my hand too, so I felt reasonably safe.
This is for your 1200lb tent trailer? I suspect you could have no tires on it and your Tundra could drag it around at 70 mph all day...
I had a blown tire on my boat/snowmoble trailer with my sled on it, it was in a snow storm and I had to go 45 mph due to visibility, I didn't notice for quite a few miles judging by the look of the tire. Sled and trailer was around 800lbs behind the 3100lb Tracker. If I had been within a few miles of home I would've just kept going...

Anyways, once your tires so show any signs of stress, replace the pair right away. In my experience the only trailer tires I`ve ever blown, did have some clear warning signs. I`ve learned that its easier to just buy decent new tires and put them on at home, than put them on at the side of the road...

According to the manual it's a 1,000lb dry weight, so I could see it pushing 1,200lb. It's in that region. Going from unloaded to loaded I do sense that the truck works a bit more on a hill but nothing drastic--I'm still pushing overdrive most of the time (I watch trans temp, it only goes up when I'm getting on it). IIRC the tires are rated for 780lb, so not a lot of overhead, so I'm relatively surprised.

If I get a chance tonight I'll have to measure tread depth. They did feel a bit more shallow than before, but it was just a quick feel. I bought three tires at the same time, so mic'ing all three should tell me if they are grossly wearing.

I wonder if this is a deal where the trailer outfitter didn't really talk to the axle manufacturer, who had their own idea of cheaper tires.

It's like reading a lawnmower manual and getting conflicting info vs the lawnmower engine manual.

From my understanding heat and load are related tire pressure but not each other. Overloaded tire at correct pressure can still fail.

Btw..asphalt temp can be hot but trailer tires are getting pulled. They don't generate the additional heat from being driven by the drive wheels or turning.

Every tire goes through deformation when it hits the pavement. This constant flex generates heat.

I believe it's the tire's inner temperature (the belts and such) that you need to be worried about, not the tread itself.

" They do not warm up. I'm thinking I don't need to worry about this, other than to make sure the tires stay aired up, have tread and aren't cracked."

I think you're fine - 1200 lbs isn't much. If you were straining the tires - they would get hot. 70mph should be your limit though.

Air them upto the max pressure.

get the loaded trailer weight per side to make sure your load is even side to side.

its pretty easy to end up with 800 on one tire and 600 on the other.

another thing is as you use it and junk accumulates in it.. your weight might go up.

I'd say you are fine for now.

You mean a camping trailer, not a truck camper, right?

Here are the load & inflation tables.
http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf

You need to know the weight on the tires. You can look it over and see if the weights are distributed equally on each side. Will these tires safely carry the weight plus some safety margin?

Trailer tires, even the few name brands, are too often unreliable junk. Always run at the max inflation pressure, check the stems for cracks, and going a size up (or Load Range up) might be very wise. A shredded tire can ruin a trip, and maybe cause a wreck. I think trailer tires should be balanced, especially for highway speeds. Balancing will help the tires, bearings, and suspension live longer. Don't let the tire shop balance on cones in the center pilot hole of the wheel unless they can show you that the pilot hole is actually in the true center--often it isn't. Have them use a lug-centric adapter. Dynamic balancing with Dyna-Beads or balancing plus sealant with Ride-On are other balancing possibilities. The dynamic balancing works with the tall aspect ratio trailer tires.

Originally Posted By: supton
Dumb question: an overloaded tire runs hot, right? Conversely, if a tire does not run hot, then it's not overloaded?

I have a bit of a dilemma on my camper. According to the manual, it requires Load Range C tires (IIRC). I used Load Range B instead (cheapo HF ones). Only thing is, the camper came from the factory with this type of tires! Which is why I put the wrong tires on (didn't read the manual).

Now, I've put 1,500miles onto this trailer, much of it at 70mph (yes, I know, too fast). Whenever I stop the tires are asphalt temperature. They do not warm up. I'm thinking I don't need to worry about this, other than to make sure the tires stay aired up, have tread and aren't cracked.

First, how much pressure build up do you get? Normally you would want no more than 10 percent.

Second, are you running the tires at LRB or LRC pressure?

Good question; never thought to measure tire pressure change. I will have to remember for the next trip. Next year...

50 psi I think, whatever is on the side of the tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back