Trailer tires

I started this thread a few months ago then all of this got put on the back burner. Now I've started thinking about it again and noticed a couple of things. I have read off and on that nylon cap plies are desirable for safety, but interestingly the Carlisle Radial Trail HD as near as I can tell do not have them, they are listed as 2 poly+2 steel. Some of the cheaper $40-50 tires do list nylon caps. The Tow Max vanguards that were mentioned previously have nylon caps plus are higher speed rating than the Carlisle and are within 5$ of the same price. I know the Vanguards would never be towed at the 87 mph max but the extra cushion above 70-75 is kind of a 'feel good' as well.

The Hercules tire I had blow out did have nylon cap plies, and while it did still blow out it didn't throw a tread and instead just split at the sidewall possibly saving damage to the trailer. That makes sense to me and admittedly they were over due on age (9 years) but perhaps the nylon did help hold them together a little longer at highway speeds. Without the nylon and staying within a 5 year replacement period maybe still wouldn't have any issues though.

Discount tire has Carlisles (among others)
Big O has the Towmax Vanguards
WM has either slightly cheaper then the shops above just takes a few days longer to get them.

Last edited:
I'd buy GOODYEAR ENDURANCE trailer tires from Discount Tire or whoever is the cheapest.

Just had a tire let go in my boat trailer. They were Hercules Power St (or something to that effect) and had no problems with them until now. Admittedly they were older than they should be at 10 years as time got away from me.

Question is what is a decent tire right now I should look at. Seems like so many off brand names or tires that look the same but likely just different sellers. They are 175-80-13, tandem axles. In the past it was used a couple thousand miles a year but now more like a few hundred locally.

They are load range C, I see there are now D available but I don’t know that they were overloaded as much as just aged out.
Goodyear now makes trailer tires in the USA. I'd give those a look as I wouldn't trust Chinese or off brand tires made who knows where.

Goodyear now makes trailer tires in the USA. I'd give those a look as I wouldn't trust Chinese or off brand tires made who knows where.
I have towed all over the Intermountain West with Chinese tires. BUT-I don't exceed 65mph, don't curb hop, and always check my inflation. And guess what? Never an issue! Imagine that.

I can tell you the local tire store here that has a stellar reputation will ONLY put the Carlisle HDs on your trailer wheels. They won’t sell anything else.

They are locally owned and depend on long-time, local residents keeping them in business. They back their products and work up 100%

Another full service shop that has a similar reputation will sell another brand but also back them up 100%. They will also sell Carlisle.

I trust both of them.

I don't think one should mix radial tires and bias belted. So if replacing just one then you need to buy the same tire type as the others. Is this single or dual axle?

Check if overloaded? You fill the boat with gear, water and gas. Water and gas are each about 8 lbs a gallon.

No Endurance in this size.

Small Local shops have quoted me Freestar M108 (never heard of them) as well but when asked nobody gives off a warm feeling about any of them no matter what brand, everyone basically says it’s a trailer tire and that’s it.

It is dual axle, 175-80-13 Load range C tires are rated to 5440, scaled weight full of fuel and extra gear is about 4750 on the axles so they do have a little cushion yet.

I think a large number of trailers are specified from the factory with just barely enough load capacity for the expected load. It is far too easy to overload a tire or run it at is max when you consider not all tires on the trailer may be seeing the same load. I think it is a good idea to weigh your trailer fully loaded, and make sure you have tires with 30% excess capacity. Then keep them properly inflated, etc. Tire brand is probably less important if the tire is not maxed out. I do prefer Goodyear Endurance, which are made in the USA. I've also had good luck with Maxxis. One travel trailer I had I was able to upsize the tire on the same rim. Slightly larger size and Load Range D vs C.

On my current trailer I had to also upgrade the axles (as the axles were at max or over), then get new rims, and larger LR E tires. The OE tires lasted less than a year. The Maxxis of the same size but higher LR lasted 4 years with no issues (but had axle issues). Currently on year 5 with the larger axles/rims/tires(GY) and they are good also. Will replace them this spring before our big trip out west.

For future thread readers, after getting in contact with Carlisle I was told that the larger sizes of the Radial trail HD do have a nylon cap ply but the smaller sizes like my 13" do not. I don't know where the dividing line is but it seems at least some of these do have them.

I have towed all over the Intermountain West with Chinese tires. BUT-I don't exceed 65mph, don't curb hop, and always check my inflation. And guess what? Never an issue! Imagine that.
I do a lot of towing with little 13'' Chinese trailer tires on my car trailer. They're about at their weight limit and they will run pretty close to the 81MPH speed limit for hours on end without issue.

Reactions: CKN
Back