inexpensive AT tires

I have a 2008 GMC 1500 4wd crew cab, currently has an older set of Delta Sentinel AT tires that are reaching the end of life if not on tread on time as well. These have been good tires, worn well, drive well and have given 0 problems. This truck only sees maybe 5 to 6k miles per year at this point, mostly highway but with some gravel country roads, some snow in winter and some time pulling a 21' boat. I am not looking at spending for a premium tire considering this is not a daily driver but I would like to replace with something similar to the Delta and have looked at the following options.

Westlake--- SL369
Atturo--- Trail Blade AT
Sailun/Multi Mile/Delta--- Trail Guide AT
Milestar--- Patagonia ATR

Any thoughts or experience with the current offerings in these tires? I have found these in the $125-150 range, if there is another tire I should look at please let me know as well. If it matters current tires are LT but considering how its used I am probably going back to P metric tires, just doesn't make sense to have such heavy duty tires on for how its used unless convinced otherwise.

Another to consider, and it’s on a very good rebate right now, Hankook Dynapro AT. Also: GM fall tire rebate is on now covers many other brands, too.

Equal to a Toyo Open Country of about 10/15 years ago (technology has advanced in the mean time) - I’ve had both. GM has a $100 a set rebate on through 11/30, in the past they have actually doubled that if bought on a GM card (fast rebate processing in the past, too). And they will price-match any local tire shop, including Walmart, etc. Hankook is a quality tire maker.

I had a set of these in 245/70-16 installed at a Chevy dealer for $300 total with the price-match + maximum rebate.

Link to rebate details:

https://www.chevrolet.com/certified-service/offers-coupons-deals?evar25=xbhub_certified-service

Last edited:
Dextero AT, low price everyday at Wallys. Installed many sets and plan on putting them on the Xterra whenever tires are due. Friend of mine had the Milestars on an Avalanche, wasn't impressed by them.

I've seen a lot of positive posts in regards to Milestar Patagonias on truck/SUV forums.

Not necessarily AT tires, but I've had excellent luck with Crosswind "brand".

Dextero AT, low price everyday at Wallys. Installed many sets and plan on putting them on the Xterra whenever tires are due. Friend of mine had the Milestars on an Avalanche, wasn't impressed by them.
I just bought some of these, because they were the cheapest tire i could find made by a respected brand. I've heard good things about Atturo and milestar but these were cheaper. they're the same as the gt radial atx, except they forgot to put the 3pmsf symbol on the dexteros. they whine a little on the highway but you cant really notice unless you have the radio off.
I bought 265/75/16 E tires for $122 each (before tax and installation and road hazard and disposal fee and valve stems)
I've only put about 300 miles on them so I cant say anything for wear and it hasn't rained here recently either, so I don't know about wet. they grip better in dirt and on pavement than 11 year old Michelin a/t2s but almost anything grips better than an ancient Michelin

265-70-17.
Even when aired all up will I notice much towing a 5k boat coming from the LT?

I just noticed the Cooper AT at Walmart for $123 will be on special in a week or so, Goodyear ATS for $116. Or a more highway tread cooper HT2 for $113.

Just looked again at the Delta that are currently on it. about 5-6/32 tread but almost all siping is gone, down to just large tread blocks. Its great right now on dry pavement but rear end gets a little loose on the wet and I figure snow may start to be come more of a problem.

I know its getting nitpicky too, but I wish there was a decent more open tread tire like an AT but with a clean sidewall like a highway tire. I understand why most AT's have the 'tread' extending over the sidewall but still like the clean sidewall look. Seems like those tires are a thing of the past now.

The Atturo has decent look IMO. Can you wait until Discount does a buy 3 get 1 free deal? They do them fairly often and sometimes you hook up on decent tires. I got a set of their exclusive to them Discoverer (Coopers) in 2020 on 18's for about 650 otd. They don't always run the cheaper ones b3g1, so be prepared to wait up to 3 months before they do. If you need them right now, go with what you like the looks of the best on your list. All about the same.

Hello mbaker,

Of the 4 tires you have selected, I don't think there's going to be a meaningful difference between them and I expect they will be similar to the tires you're running now in terms of characteristics. The Atturo Trail Blade A/T looks like best value to me in SL.

As long as you're not towing long distances at highway speed or using the vehicle on really rough rocky roads I can understand the draw to an SL tire. It will shave nearly 10lb unsprung rotating mass per corner and have more sidewall flex for a smoother quieter ride

I don't see anything in your intended use that calls for an A/T. The WestlakeSU318 H/T is in this same ballpark on price but has the more classic sidewall look you're after. I would expect these to perform as well or better than any of those cheap A/T's on snowpack/ice roads, which is your most demanding traction scenario, while also being quieter, especially as they age, and likely also getting better mpg.

Of those you mentioned, I think I'd go with the MileStar. They are a tiny bit louder than more expensive offerings from what I understand, but you can't have it all at that price point. With the type of driving you describe, I don't think I would go with a LT load rating though.

265-70-17.
Even when aired all up will I notice much towing a 5k boat coming from the LT?

I just noticed the Cooper AT at Walmart for $123 will be on special in a week or so, Goodyear ATS for $116. Or a more highway tread cooper HT2 for $113.

Just looked again at the Delta that are currently on it. about 5-6/32 tread but almost all siping is gone, down to just large tread blocks. Its great right now on dry pavement but rear end gets a little loose on the wet and I figure snow may start to be come more of a problem.

I know its getting nitpicky too, but I wish there was a decent more open tread tire like an AT but with a clean sidewall like a highway tire. I understand why most AT's have the 'tread' extending over the sidewall but still like the clean sidewall look. Seems like those tires are a thing of the past now.
You don't need LT Tires nor will notice a difference towing a 5,000 pound trailer.

Makes sense, I was sold on the Pmetrics but the more I think about it as soon as I commit to them I'll end up with a enclosed utility or camper and wish I had the LT back.... lol

My boss is running milestar Patagonia on his f150 work truck. All early indications are they are well suited here.

my other boss just suffered a blowout on milestars while trying to execute a 3 point turn - seems the sidewall let go, but these were on a sienna which tends to put the pain hammer on tires.

my used Lexus came with milestars and they were sloppy in a performance car application.

truck tires can be heavy and crude - I would still consider them.

also check vredestein on tire rack. Hungarian. Relatively new to market and inexpensive to our normal brands. All of the reviews I’ve read are Great.

Makes sense, I was sold on the Pmetrics but the more I think about it as soon as I commit to them I'll end up with a enclosed utility or camper and wish I had the LT back.... lol
I just always buy E rated tires lol. even though its just an SUV i drive on the highway, I figure the extra load capacity (and weight) cant hurt anything except my wallet

Vredestein may be Hungarian made but it is former Dutch company, now brand of Indian Apollo Tyres.
AFAIK

Krzyś

Have had good results with Nankang AT-5 Conqueror A/T LT rated tire on my 1-ton van over the past 22K miles.

Attachments

• IMG_0759.jpeg
    IMG_0759.jpeg
    49.5 KB · Views: 10
Back