Penn 5w40 euro vs redline oil consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a comment with a question I hope maybe someone can answer. I have an audi with a 2.0 TFSI 35K '09. It uses a quart of oil every 10K with penzoil but a quart of oil every 2K with redline. This increase is INCREDIBLE for what i believe to be a much superior oil.
Why?
I would much rather use Redline since both have to be ordered in my area and cost about the same.

Thankyou

Last edited:
Why do you think the RL is SO much superior? Especially when you have such an increase in oil consumption? I would stick with the Pennzoil. RL is a good oil but it isn't the best for all applications.

Unless I'm mistaken, Group V is better than III. Also looking at the specs, RL has better numbers, especially Noack and HTHS. I'm sticking with Penn from now on, but the consumption still confuses me.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Why do you think the RL is SO much superior?

Yeah, I'd like to hear that argument as well.

As far as why RL burns off more, it's either something in RL's composition, or maybe just the fact that RL is quite a bit thicker (HT/HS of 4.6 vs 3.6 for PU), which means more heat is generated just pushing the oil around the engine. Have you noticed higher operating oil temps with the RL? Higher temps = more evaporation.

OP, if you insist on running RL, I would use their 5w-30 in this application.

Also, AFAIK, RL doesn't officially meet the VW spec. RL just "recommends" it for this application.

AFAIK ?? Its got the basic temp gauge, not overly accurate for measuring small changes in temperatures.

People use so many abbreviations on this site, not familiar with them all yet. I am going to run Penn from now on. Atleast in this car.

On a side question, any thoughts on Penn vs Castrol in 5w-40? Never ran Castrol. I'll run a search when I get some time, but if anybody has any thoughts now…

Thankyou

Originally Posted By: Pman
AFAIK ?? Its got the basic temp gauge, not overly accurate for measuring small changes in temperatures.

AFAIK = As far as I know

Is it a coolant temp gauge or oil temp gauge?

Quote:

On a side question, any thoughts on Penn vs Castrol in 5w-40? Never ran Castrol. I'll run a search when I get some time, but if anybody has any thoughts now…

Thankyou

PU 5w-40 meets more stringent specs. Between the two, I would go with PU 5w-40.

Why do you think the RL is SO much superior? Especially when you have such an increase in oil consumption? I would stick with the Pennzoil. RL is a good oil but it isn't the best for all applications.

The physical properties of a Class V polyol ester allow a lighter weight to be run and hence less wear at start up. PLus Redline flash point and NOACK Evaporative loss values exceed a Class III oil.

I have changed to Redline in various Honda's and initially had oil consumption but it always stopped. I attribute this to the solvency characteristics of a polyol ester and the floating piston rings.

In my opinion class IV/V PAO/POE oils are worth the additional cost if you plan to own the car for a long time.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Why do you think the RL is SO much superior?

Yeah, I'd like to hear that argument as well.

As far as why RL burns off more, it's either something in RL's composition, or maybe just the fact that RL is quite a bit thicker (HT/HS of 4.6 vs 3.6 for PU), which means more heat is generated just pushing the oil around the engine. Have you noticed higher operating oil temps with the RL? Higher temps = more evaporation.

OP, if you insist on running RL, I would use their 5w-30 in this application.

Also, AFAIK, RL doesn't officially meet the VW spec. RL just "recommends" it for this application.

Yes as mentioned RL 5W-40 is a lot heavier than PU; heck it's heavier than most 50wt oils such as M1 15W-50. The higher oil consumption is hard to explain and may be an aberration unrelated to the oil per se.
Anyway, as QP suggested RL 5W-30 would be a better choice although still heavier than PU 5W-40.
If you're really sold on RL I'd suggest a 50/50 blend of their 0W-30 and 0W-40. That will give you a light 0W-40 with more similar viscosity characteristics to PU 5W-40 but with the added benefit of being lighter on start-up plus the high ZDDP and moly RL is known for.

Could the high moly in Red Line be partly responsible for the high consumption due to the reduced friction causing oil to "slip easier" past the rings.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back