Motorcraft FL-820S, 7k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a Motorcraft FL-820S taken from a 2009(?) Ford Escape. Vehicle had M1 5w20 for the OCI. Pretty unremarkable in that it held up OK. I almost didn't post since there are other pictures, but figured I'd post it so there's a FL-820S pic to my name
smile.gif

IMG_1429.JPG

IMG_1430.JPG

That is the filter I run on the Mountaineer 4.0. It should have a spring in the base end for the bypass valve. From what I can see on the pleats, it doesn't look terribly dirty, in fact seems rather clean. It would be interesting to see a blotter of your oil. Just take a file card next time and drip two drops off the dipstick and let it spread out and soak in. Usually there will be some ring partway out of deposited material that was held in suspension. I expect you will have a pretty decent looking blotter.

You can cut some of the pleats crosswise at both sides and unfold them to see what crud is embedded at the bottom of each pleat. Also can view the flattened out filter element through backlight. I used to get them where you barely could see light through them.

Nice cutting job, what tool did you use?

I haven't studied too many used oil filters so I don't really know what I'm looking at, but is it normal for a filter to have a distorted media? And would you say the filter held up?

I forgot to mention that the metal endcap actually separated when I took the filter apart. I lifted up on the filter and the cap popped right off. You'll see in the bottom picture the metal endcap taken off, and the cardboard endcap it surrounded. I do think it held during use, though.

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
Nice cutting job, what tool did you use?

I used the Summit oil filter cutter.

Originally Posted By: semaj281
I haven't studied too many used oil filters so I don't really know what I'm looking at, but is it normal for a filter to have a distorted media? And would you say the filter held up?

A slight distortion is common and doesn't hurt anything as long as no holes are in the media and as long as everything still seals where it should. In this case, the filter held up just fine, I would say.

Of the 3 filters you posted today, the STP seems to be better than the other two, Motoecraft and Fram Extra Guard. STP has more media and looks thicker too. But all 3 seems to held up okay, doing the filtering for more than 5-6k miles without problems. It clearly showed that almost any oil filter can be used for 8-10k miles or longer if the engine is clean and driving condition is not severe.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
Motorcraft still make a quality filter. I have run plenty of these for 10,000+ miles. Zero problems.

Me to. No problems at all.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: rshaw125
Motorcraft still make a quality filter. I have run plenty of these for 10,000+ miles. Zero problems.

Me to. No problems at all.

Same here..I have been using those Motorcraft filters forever.

Just as Ford and "Motorcraft" don't make their own oil (though their 5w20 semi-syn and full-syn are both real good brew!), neither do they make their own oil filters.

So is the the MC filter another Champion Labs product built to Ford's specs?

Originally Posted By: dkryan
Just as Ford and "Motorcraft" don't make their own oil (though their 5w20 semi-syn and full-syn are both real good brew!), neither do they make their own oil filters.

So is the the MC filter another Champion Labs product built to Ford's specs?

It is a Purolator product.

Remember going to Mobil 1 site and being surprised when Mobil 1 EP they recommended at the time for my modular 8 listed M1 filter as optional with a note that the FL-820S did not need replacement for the whole 15k ODI they recommended. That was 5-6 years ago. Looks like MC still sells good filters..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back