Genuine Ford Motorcraft XT-M5-QS

Hi everyone - I hope this is the right place to post something like this.

Just swapped out my fluid for the ford motorcraft XT-M5-QS, on my Toyota Tacoma to hopefully alleviate some notchy/rough shifting but felt almost no different if anything a bit more notchy whereas many people have done the same and felt and immediate difference.

I bought 3 quarts from Rockauto which is known as a reliable seller but after doing a little digging, I’m a little worried that I didn’t get genuine fluid since my bottle is a little different than every other picture. Mine doesn’t have the warning label on the front and also no serial number on the back, it does have something that looks like a date in black on the top part of the back of the container, I’ve checked with two ford dealership and neither could verify that the bottle was genuine as the ones they had to compare to were different..Can anybody verify?

Attachments

• IMG_0573.jpeg
    IMG_0573.jpeg
    141.7 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0574.jpeg
    IMG_0574.jpeg
    172 KB · Views: 56
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 52
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 50
Companies can and do use multiple sources, over time.

Today I inspected two Milwaukee M18 8AH XC batteries I purchased on ebay, compared them to a YT video, and lo and behold they are quite fake but to the untrained eye it would pass. Thankfully the ebay "not as described" return process is trivial and I will get a refund.

If you actually have fake oil in your hands though, that would be a rare find indeed.

Companies can and do use multiple sources, over time.

Today I inspected two Milwaukee M18 8AH XC batteries I purchased on ebay, compared them to a YT video, and lo and behold they are quite fake but to the untrained eye it would pass. Thankfully the ebay "not as described" return process is trivial and I will get a refund.

If you actually have fake oil in your hands though, that would be a rare find indeed.

I’d honestly be shocked if it was fake, especially since I didn’t purchase it from somewhere shady, but you never know, the fact that Ford themselves couldn’t verify it was genuine concerns me. I guess I’m just worried I have some unknown fluid in my transmission lol

Is Motorcraft the right spec for your Taco?
I experimented with numerous tranny fluids for my Crossfire attempting to improve notchy shifting. I tried the magical Ford fluid based on the positive results from the Miata Forum, and the shifting actually got worse. Finally used the MB spec fluid and the shifting improved dramatically.

Is Motorcraft the right spec for your Taco?
I experimented with numerous tranny fluids for my Crossfire attempting to improve notchy shifting. I tried the magical Ford fluid based on the positive results from the Miata Forum, and the shifting actually got worse. Finally used the MB spec fluid and the shifting improved dramatically.
Yeah the ford stuff and redline MT90 are the go-to’s for the 6 speeds in newer Tacomas! If I can’t verify what I have is legit I’ll just switch to MT90, anything is better than the factory fill toyota stuff

It's probably old stock. I seem to remember the bottles being red for a few years now. We hardly ever sell any of it, I will make a note to look at the shelf tomorrow.
The label on my stuff says 2022…I assume the red labels are the older stuff. Could you check the revision number to the left of the barcode? Mine says rev 6 but the ford dealership had no record past rev 5 2018

23…as far as I can tell there’s been no change since 2016, still calls for GL4
GL-4 is a gear protection rating, not a viscosity.

You might try Redline MT-85 which has a slightly lower viscosity of 12 cSt@100C whereas most MTF 75W90's have a viscosity of 14.5 cSt@100C. The MT-85 has the same Anti-Wear additive package as the 75W90.

GL-4 is a gear protection rating, not a viscosity.

You might try Redline MT-85 which has a slightly lower viscosity of 12 cSt@100C whereas most MTF 75W90's have a viscosity of 14.5 cSt@100C but the MT-85 has the same Anti-Wear additive package.
Sorry should have specified - the manual calls for GL4 75w90.

I guess I’m not too educated on what happens when using a lower viscosity fluid but wouldn’t synchros that call for 75w90 function best with thicker/less slipper oil to allow them to grab the cone without excessive slipping?

Sorry should have specified - the manual calls for GL4 75w90.

I guess I’m not too educated on what happens when using a lower viscosity fluid but wouldn’t synchros that call for 75w90 function best with thicker/less slipper oil to allow them to grab the cone without excessive slipping?
No, in the additive package is a specific chemistry called the friction modifier (FM) that controls the engagement/disengagement properties of the synchros.

If you still have the box, google the return address. It will lead you to the warehouse it shipped from. Rock Auto usually uses Auto Value, Factory Motor Parts, or Parts Authority, though some parts ship directly from the mfr.

If you still have the box, google the return address. It will lead you to the warehouse it shipped from. Rock Auto usually uses Auto Value, Factory Motor Parts, or Parts Authority, though some parts ship directly from the mfr.
I think I still have the box! What would I do with knowing the shipping warehouse?

Looks like it shipped from Factory Motor Parts in Fullerton California
I think I still have the box! What would I do with knowing the shipping warehouse?

Factory Motor Parts supplies independent parts stores. They are legit and safe to buy from.

Now that you know it came from FMP, you can be assured that the oil is genuine and not counterfeit :)

Factory Motor Parts supplies independent parts stores. They are legit and safe to buy from.

Now that you know it came from FMP, you can be assured that the oil is genuine and not counterfeit :)
Thank you! That’s reassuring. I don’t know much about FMP so I’ll take your word on it! I know Rockauto is legit as well but they’re a middleman between supplier and customer so it’s possible fake parts could be supplied to them somewhere in the supply chain, there’s a few threads on tacomaworld about people getting counterfeit parts from Rockauto but that was years ago.

Thank you! That’s reassuring. I don’t know much about FMP so I’ll take your word on it! I know Rockauto is legit as well but they’re a middleman between supplier and customer so it’s possible fake parts could be supplied to them somewhere in the supply chain, there’s a few threads on tacomaworld about people getting counterfeit parts from Rockauto but that was years ago.

Rock Auto is a drop shipper. Nobody employed by Rock Auto ever touches or even sees the parts you order. RA just sends a label to the warehouse, and the warehouse does the rest. The warehouse picks the parts, puts them in a box, and slaps the RA-generated label on the box and sends it out.

Back