Valvoline Max Life 5W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Valvoline Max Life 5W-30 Synthetic Blend.

What is the general feeling on this oil. I have a 2003 Ranger 3.0l that uses about 1 qt in 3000 miles, maybe slightly less. The engine only has about 59000 on the odometer. I know this oil is supposed to condition seals but mine do not appear to be leaking. I think the consumption is by the rings. Runs great though.

Will this oil be a good quality product for this application? Does anyone have any experiences with this oil? What kind of results did you see with it?

Go for it....

I have use MaxLife for about 2 years now and am completely satisfied.

The quart your using every 3000 miles is not real serious and might be leaking silghtly only when you vehicle is moving. There have been many messages on BITOG that stated it did stop leaks after they used it.
Redline SI-1 Fuel System Cleaner

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
Go for it....

I have use MaxLife for about 2 years now and am completely satisfied.

The quart your using every 3000 miles is not real serious and might be leaking silghtly only when you vehicle is moving. There have been many messages on BITOG that stated it did stop leaks after they used it.
Redline SI-1 Fuel System Cleaner

Thanks, I only say its rings due to the #5 cylinder compression results. 145 and the others are around 160. It has been to the dealer 3 times to have the engine assessed and all three times I was told everything is within Ford specs, which are vague at best. It has a slight miss at idle that no mechanic has been able to pinpoint without saying they will need to tear it apart, but runs great and is so far completely reliable.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
It isa very good oil and would work great for your application.

IYO, any benefits to the Full Synthetic version of this Synthetic Blend Oil? 5W-30 seems to be a good year-round grade, particularly for my car...

I've used the Maxlife full Syn and Maxlife Blend in several vehicles and highly recommend either one. Both seem to be great oils and reasonably priced.

Use it in two of my three cars and it's good stuff. A lot of users of this site use it too and I've read that most of them are satisfied.

Originally Posted By: lambrose

What is the general feeling on this oil.

Years ago as a conventional oil it rivaled Chevron Supreme for the top spot. After Valvoline revealed Maxlife was synthetic blend it sat alone at top spot. After hurricane Katrina, motor oil prices shot up and Pennzoil stole top spot because it's cheaper. Some Maxlife fanatics left for yellow bottle, and the rest for the new Pennzoil Platinum. Maxlife will continue to be a sleeper as long as it keeps plugging leaks.

Been using Maxlife for the last 3-4yrs, I love the stuff. Had no real reason to switch to it, aside from the fact that Havoline oils became hard to find in my area.

AND, I wanted an oil aimed for older engines; I don't mean the age of the engine, but an oil built with older engine requirements in mind.

This oil allows me to run 5w-30 which is a heavy 30wt rather then the 40wt oil that the engine does so well on, but is too thick for winter temps.

Originally Posted By: Ramblin Fever
Been using Maxlife for the last 3-4yrs, I love the stuff. Had no real reason to switch to it, aside from the fact that Havoline oils became hard to find in my area.

AND, I wanted an oil aimed for older engines; I don't mean the age of the engine, but an oil built with older engine requirements in mind.

This oil allows me to run 5w-30 which is a heavy 30wt rather then the 40wt oil that the engine does so well on, but is too thick for winter temps.

How cold does it get in your area? I am in Virginia and might get to 20 degrees for a week or so in the winter, but the temps are generally mild. Lows in the 30s. How will the Maxlife 5W-30 work out in this climate? in your opinion.

Should work great.

Our winter temps can dip down to -25f for a week or so; this winter we've been getting a lot of -10F to 0F degrees.

Most winters though, are generally in the 0F to 30F daytime highs.

I have 5 quarts of the Maxlife blend 5W-30 and a PureONE filter sitting in my garage waiting for me to change the oil- sometime in the next 3k to 4k miles, which would make an OCI of 6K, to 7K miles.

I use it in my Silverado I have been using it for 2 years. I do not have any leaks. The truck runs smooth in the cold and the heat. I plan on running it till I get rid of the truck. I hope this odometer reeds 200K before I get rid of it.

I put the Maxlife 5W-30 in tonight and I am very pleased so far. My ranger 3.0l V6 seems to really like it. I had an overheat a few months back and ever since I got it back from the dealer it has idled rough. The compression in the #5 cyl is a little low but still within specs. However I do think there is a little blow-by past the rings as evident from the slight oil usage. The truck idles with a little miss or buck, but after driving around for awhile the Maxlife seems to have significantly reduced this. So far so good.

Glad it's workiing for you. I forgot to mention, I got it put in my mom's 07 Mustang 4.0L SOHC, and since the jeep is dead, she had it out of suspension about 2 weeks ago, and it's been working great.

Originally Posted By: lambrose

What is the general feeling on this oil. I have a 2003 Ranger 3.0l that uses about 1 qt in 3000 miles, maybe slightly less. The engine only has about 59000 on the odometer. I know this oil is supposed to condition seals but mine do not appear to be leaking. I think the consumption is by the rings. Runs great though.

Will this oil be a good quality product for this application? Does anyone have any experiences with this oil? What kind of results did you see with it?

I had a '99 Ranger with a 3.0, same miles, that did something similar to what you are describing. Slight miss-fire at idle especially when cold, and uses about 1 quart per 3K. Upon pulling the plugs, one was pretty black, the rest were A-OK...don't think it was #5 (was front passenger side I think? Which one is that?) I never paid it much attention, was my Dad's truck. Only drove it for a year and gave it to my brother. I also have a '97 Expedition, 5.4L that uses about the same amount of oil...did it since new. Might be a Ford thing.

I would like to try Maxlife in my Jeep...maybe extend the life of my rear main seal if the stuff does what they say it does.

How badly did you overheat it?
The 3.0 Vulcan is pretty indestructible, and should have zero oil consumption or undiagnosed poor running at 59K, or 159K.
Our '97 Aerostar with this engine had neither when totalled at 176K.
I think you may have a head gasket leak, of which low compression on one cylinder is a classic sign.
Have this looked into further by someone other than the guys who are telling you it's fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back