teflon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bruce381
Originally Posted By: Johnny
Mystic,

I would want someone other than myself in charge of collecting the money for this project. Once all monies was collected, then it could be sent to me to place the order. The way I figured it, the initial cost would be the following:

5 quarts of the Initial Fill Oil @ $32.00 per quart = $160.00
1 quart of the Add Oil @ $20.00 in case it consumes any.
1 filter @ $24.00

That totals $204.00 to get started.

I would pay the $40.00 for a quart of the Service fill oil for when I changed the filter plus the $24.00 for another filter when it is time to change. I would also pay Terry Dyson the $99.00 for the VOA and the $99.00 for the UOA's every 10K until he told me it was time to change it.

So if someone wants to be in charge of collecting the $240.00 I'm willing to donate the car (2006 Honda Element with approx 34K on it) the extra oil, filter, and analysis to do the test.

Just let me know either on this thread or by PM

By the way, the engine in this Honda has had its oil changed every 5K with synthetics since new. All using Pennzoil Platinum except for the Mobil 1 0W-20 that is in it now. The engine is spotless.

I have offered before to do the UOA and VOA for free

bruce381, you are the man and I would be glad to let you perform the analysis on this oil. If this all happens just let me know where to send the samples. I already have sample bottles.

Johnny, if you already have sample bottles I think we should do a VOA first before we actually put this Synlube in the engine of your Honda. That will protect your investment. Unless you are confident enough to go ahead anyway. But we still need to start with a VOA first.

I hope we can find the necessary 10 contributors. We need just 8 more. Kind of quiet around here-I can here crickets!

Last edited:
This JONNY-B guy comes in here every few months, and "claims" he is using this wonderful product, that does this or that. Now it is SYNLUBE.

A few months ago he was rebuilding his engine, with a wonderful product called CERMET. "Just poor it into your engine", and it of course will do all sorts of wonderful things. An engine rebuild in a can. And it's permanent.

And of course, he will also provide NO proof of anything he says. Just that we are AMERICAN fools, if we do not try it.

And of course, as soon as the discussion starts on this "Elixir", these brand new members jump into the discussion, and immeadiately agree, and say they to are trying it, and of course we are fools not to try it.

My own opinion of JONNY-B....Is that he is full of **it.

Anyway everyone wants to do is fine with me. Collect enough and just send a quart to bruce381, or I am prepared to put it in my Honda. Either way is fine with me.

In case anyone questions bruce381's credentials, he is a qualified tribologist and oil blender with the highest respect on this board.

Originally Posted By: Trajan
The Synlube guys should just send Johhny the oil. Afterall, the claim is made that we get our money back if we send them the used oil. And a filter, if they make one that fits his Honda.

From a PR standpoint, it's a great move. A respected member who has no dog in this hunt puts it through its paces.

And then, if it passes, they could also become a sponsor of this site.

+1 I also said they should donate the oil, they're the ones making the claims. They should prove it not us. Mola offered his services free.

I'm willing to bet they won't even send him a sample for a VOA. I wonder how they'll wiggle their way out of that offer! My guess is they'll say they already tested and proved their product, and we won't see a VOA unless we pay for the oil.

I agree that Synlube, if they have nothing to hide, should be willing to contribute the oil. But they probably will not. They have certainly shown no eagerness for VOAs and UOAs so far. My guess is that this oil is at least acceptable-after all there was that one 16,000 UOA done by somebody at their own cost. I have doubts about the 50,000 or 150,000 or whatever it is supposed to be figure. But we would be safe with 10,000 mile UOAs to protect Johnny's vehicle.

However, we can't rely on Synlube. If we are curious and we want to find out about this Synlube we will have to test it ourselves. $20.00 is not that much money from 10 members who are curious. Johnny is taking the big risk.

I hope we can find 10 curious members willing to donate the money. If not, it does not really matter much.

This website is supposed to be about discussions about motor oils and other automotive subjects and stuff. People should bring up new stuff. But I do wonder about somebody coming forth occasionally with some odd product and then trying to get everybody to buy that product. I am not accusing anybody of any under the table stuff. But if we FIND OUT about any under the table stuff, I certainly would not be willing to buy that product ever. Any company that would like for us to consider their products should be above board and honest.

Frankly, if the people running Synlube really wanted to expand their business, they should be willing to supply oil for VOAs and UOAs. I understand they have some 13,000 customers. If their Synlube is as good as they claim they could greatly increase that number. If it was me, I would supply some oil.

JONNY-B had to remove the "SYNLUBE" as it had destroyed his engine, and of course then he rebuilt it using "CERMET" which he "educated" us all on.

JONNY-B comes in here, and starts hocking these wonderful cure all's every so often. And of course, there will be claims but absolutely no proof!.

The one thing about both products of course, is that they are expensive, "Cermet" I believe was going for $100.00+ a bottle. But hey, when you can rebuild your engine for this little amount, all the BITOG must be fools not to take advanyage of this wonderful product.

See yah till next time "Jonny-B".

That could be possible. After all, he did not run the 'magic' Synlube to 150,000 miles. And then he did brag about the engine rebuilding abilities of the Cermet.

He also said he tried some other stuff after he had used the Synlube. So you have to wonder if the Synlube was so magical why not stick with it.

We need to ask him that question if he someday comes back talking about how we are all 'frozen in time' and resistant to change and we all need to buy immediately not Synlube but some other 'magic' oil he has discovered.

And it is not just him, but his two sidekicks who suddenly appear with perfect timing.

Actually, there should be no problem for Synlube giving someone as well acknowledged as Johnny a free fill for a test such as is proposed.

After all, they don't earn anything FOR their oil, giving back the same rate as their supply costs.

i.e. supplying lubricants for the test will be a nett cost of $0, versus the $0 nett cost of their retail operation.

If their business is really making recyclable oil for the military, they could probably pay people the equivalent of dino to use the stuff and make a tidy profit.

Get in bed with iffylube, and offer FREE oil changes on synlube.

Yes, they are supposed to make a PROFIT from the used oil by selling to the US government. Since they can make a profit, why not supply the oil to Johnny? He sends in back used and it goes into the President's limo.

This would of died of apathy awhile ago if it wasn't for the unwarranted insults launched by Synlube zealots.

How can anyone *not* question the fantastic claims made by Synlube/Rev-x zealots.

How hard is it to get a UOA/VOA in Scandanavia anyway?

And why the lack of data? Things such as HTHS? TBN? Pour point?
In that other thread, the good captain wants to talk about oil.
Fine and dandy. But we need something more concrete than "I like it."

Why should I use Synlube instead of M1 0w-40?

Why does oil need to be changed? [Re: Merkava_4]
bruce381
Tribologist

Loc: Millbrae, CA from Budman on other thread about this junk

""I happened to be lurking one of my rare times around here and thought i'd drop in and update. Reading what I wrote back in June made me feel compelled to at least let everyone know what happened shortly after.

After about 15k on the oil, my Nissan Murano no longer carries Synlube. I have no hard factual evidence against Synlube other than my experience and what I was told.

Our Murano started to exhibit a "whine" of sorts around the time I posted above. It was an intermittent whine that sounded like it was the AC compressor as it seemed to have started while it was getting hot here and only happened at idle. We had our Murano in for what I would call an ever so slight "knocking" at take-off from a stop shortly before this whine started, in which the dealer never verified nor could find any cause. We just brushed it off until this whine started. It started to get worse so we made our trip to the dealer and was able to show them the sound.

They had called the next day and I was floored when the service manager told me he had changed the oil as whatever was in there was SO SLUDGED that it sort of chunked out. They did two engine flushes, filled it with their dino of choice and sent us on our way. I felt like a complete idiot as I had to play dumb (for warranty reasons) that I kept it on a strict DIY chance schedule. They asked me what I used and I told them "walmart brand synthetic oil" to get me off the hook a little. They admited to doing nothing more to the car than said service of oil change and flushes. It hasn't whined SINCE.

I have kept up with 4k (exxon dino) changes and all is fine. I honestly have noticed a slight drop in mpg's though being back on dino but it could just be change of driving habit as my wife now works closer to home.

I did contact Synlube and they told me I could have gotten 100% refund had I gotten back the drained oil (I was a little mad at Nissan for doing the service without asking, no matter how little it may seem to them) and he did offer that it may have been misinterpreted as sludge as Synlube is different looking to most mechanics. He did also suggest maybe something WAS fixed, but hidden as the oil, as dealers sometimes do (especially one who admits DIY changes) so as to shift any warranty possibilites later. I don't know what to think other than the car has been fine since and my wife has cursed me for "getting scammed on that expensive #@$%! oil I put in her car".

I think Synlube has good intentions and never once seemed dishonest. I can't say I would ever use it again as it seems the risks outweight rewards and there being just about zero hard evidence (other than testimonials) of its claims or worth. No hard feelings, just didn't work out for me. No where near 50k on one oil change.""

I will add synlube =

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=898553&page=1

If anyone is interested, you can read the entire thread that I provided the link to, enjoy.

That was an interesting find c3po. Unfortunatley for the owner the problem was a bit unclear. If the engine was sludged, perhaps it was that way before adding Synlube. We'll never know.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=146669&page=1

I am sorry guys, this is the thread that has all of Budman's posts about Synlube, the link in my other post is where I found bruce381's post.

On page 2 of the thread is your UOA on this Synlube, at 1st this member named Budman seemed to like Synlube, but when you get to page 6 you get to see his outcome.

I did not want to bring the thread back up, I thought it would be better to just provide a link and let members see for themselves what Synlube is really like for this member of BITOG who actually used the product.

I may be out of line here: I brought an older thread back to life in the "PCMO" forum titled "Why does oil need to changed".

In my post it has some bearing on this thread.

Like I say if I was wrong/out of line. Feel free to ban me.

But read for yourself and make your own assumptions especially as how it pertains to "Synlube" and "Jonny-B"

On 5-02-07 jonny-b in post number 823235 states that he will probably do a UOA at 20,000 miles after Gary Allan asked him if he was going to get a UOA done.

On 4-22-09 jonny-b now has 42,000 miles on the Synlube Oil and Tempest is asking him to do a UOA.

If you look through jonny-b's posts you do not see a UOA that he did on Synlube, maybe he just changed his mind, members here can read this and make up there own minds.

Re: Synlube filters - 100,000mi filters? [Re: Gary Allan]
jonny-b

Loc: Norway Hi, Gary Allan. I will also take a VOA and send it in together with the UOA. I have been driving 10000 km(6200 miles) now, since I filled my old Nissan with Synlube. All I can say now, is that this seem to be the best oil I have ever used. However, this is based on sounds from the engine being gradually reduced, how the engine idles and how I think it performs,as well as a slight reduction in fuelconsumption. I will do a lot of driving this summer, so I was planning to send in a UOA when I reach some 20K miles.
I also have ordered their gear oil, and already have their oil in the diff. I also ordered their microglass filter, and I will replace the OEM Nissan oil filter with this. I don't think you can go wrong, by using their products, but if anyone can give some info proving otherwise, I would be glad to know. In the meantime, I keep on driving to test it.

Re: Synlube oil info, on Fox. [Re: Zaedock]
jonny-b

Loc: Norway Can any of you then tell me why the cars they used on Fox channel without oilchange(used Synlube), didn't get any oil-related problems during the 5 year testing period?

I would really like to know why this oil is so bad, especially since I have had it in my engine two years and 3 months now. And 42000 miles, as well.
When will it ruin my engine?
I guess it is a bad thing the small increase in MPG, too?

About oilfilters, it is OK to chhange it every 25000 miles, unless you use a microglass filter.
If using a microglass filter, you can go 100000 miles without changing it.

Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote Notify

#1442311 - 04/22/09 06:24 PM Re: Synlube oil info, on Fox. [Re: jonny-b]
Tempest

Loc: Las Vegas NV Quote:
I have had it in my engine two years and 3 months now. And 42000 miles, as well.

Do a UOA.

And the link had no useful information. "Smoother" this, "better" that. 3MPG improvement on a truck???? The auto industry would KILL for that.

Edited by Tempest (04/22/09 06:29 PM)

I have always noticed that their is absolutely no proof ever provided. But always a willingness to attack others that may disagree with "His Proof"

I will believe as I choose, others can form their own opinion.

Again if I am wrong my sincerest apologies.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mystic
And jonny-b said that we were resistant to change and unwilling to take risks. He would not even contribute his USED Synlube.

What do you think of bitgo people now jonny-b?

banana2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back