Using Diesel Kleen and TCW3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm currently giving my 300D a steady diet of 6 ounces of Diesel Kleen and 6 ounces of TCW3 at every fill up.

My hope is that the added lubricity will extend the life of my injectors and that the added Cetane boost is doing...well, hopefully something beneficial!

I am wondering if my additives are really helping anything in reality.
54.gif

What do you guys use in your MB's or what are your general thoughts on my habit? I figure I am spending about a $1.70 per fill for this.

Thanks

yes both are adding lubrication to the injector pump. Your vehicle wasn't manufactured to run on 15PPM diesel. Although lubricants are being added there are 2 places it's added at. the refinary and by the driver at the station. This makes for very inconsistant fuel. Fuel sprays out of the injectors at such a high rate that nozzels rarely really get dirty.

Cetane will help mainly idle quality and aid in starting. You may see a slight increase in milage to.

I will say I recently had a Cummins tore down that recieved a steady dose of TCW-3 and I was not inpressed with the looks of the piston crowns and valves.

I persoanlly would stick with a commercially producrd intended product suck as DK and maybe use a tad bit more.

The TCW3 is supposed to be ashless so I wonder what you were seeing on the valves and piston crowns?

have you seen the ash content numbers? yes it is ashless compared to other 2 cycle oils. Also coupled with diesel fuel it lowers the ignition point and may ccause a loss in economy. I would honestly do without the oil and stick with the DK. BG also has a great lubricant that will be about 1.00 to treat 20 gallons. It's actually the best product I have seen to date for lubrication

BG 227D

Interestingly, GM only approves Stanadyne fuel add for its late model duramax diesels. This makes sense according to a local diesel shop, since Stanadyne is the company that manufactures the injector pump on the duramax.

I think that's a fairly strong recommend for the Stanadyne product, though it's pretty hard at least in Canada to find.

keep in mind I'm not saying it TCW3 doesn't aid in Injection pump wear.

I tear down quite a few engines in a year and this is my first that used 2 stroke oil. The substance found wasn't carbon buildup. It was more of a gunky tar. I sent a piston to a friend that does lubrication testing for cummins and he confirmed it was 2 cycle oil. What he wasn't sure of is if it was from over use or just the extended amount of milage it was used for. Nearly 90% of my customers are Independent contract hotshots and put 100,000 miles on their trucks a year.

It works but i wouldn't reccomend it or try it in small doses or every other fillup maybe

Just a mix of Biodiesel with regular ULSD and your good, at least un till cold weather set in.

Bio is the best for lubricity.

Originally Posted By: DieselTech
keep in mind I'm not saying it TCW3 doesn't aid in Injection pump wear.

I tear down quite a few engines in a year and this is my first that used 2 stroke oil. The substance found wasn't carbon buildup. It was more of a gunky tar. I sent a piston to a friend that does lubrication testing for cummins and he confirmed it was 2 cycle oil. What he wasn't sure of is if it was from over use or just the extended amount of milage it was used for. Nearly 90% of my customers are Independent contract hotshots and put 100,000 miles on their trucks a year.

It works but i wouldn't reccomend it or try it in small doses or every other fillup maybe

Was the guy just dumping it into the tank or using an actual ratio of fuel to oil? If so, what ratio was he using?

I spoke to him this morning and was informed he was mixing 1oz per gallon in his 100 gal tank. He was using walmart ST TCW-3

I spoke to him this morning and was informed he was mixing 1oz per gallon in his 100 gal tank. He was using walmart ST TCW-3

That's a heck of ratio, how would that minute amount help with anything??

Thats pretty much the reccomended doseage for TCW-3. your not trying to lubricate the system just add to whats in the fuel. BG227D is 2oz for 40 gallons and it works great. With alot of these additives I have found most people over use them. Even with Powerservice I know people that pour an entire bottle into a tank. In all actuality too much cetane will cause a power loss.

The best bet is use a high quality Commercialized additive at the reccomended doseage.

100 fl oz of oil per 100 gallons of fuel? That's more than normal 200:1 ratio I've seen elsewhere. (it's closer to 100:1, 128:1 actually)

I did some research on a couple of my forums and it seems the cummins guys are running 100:1. I also found another post from a member on cummins forum that found this same gunk on his injectors after using it.

your not trying to lubricate the system just add to whats in the fuel.

well whats the point then DT?, isn't that the goal,added lubrication for pump and injectors? to confiscate for ULSD.

Yup, although contrary to what people think sulfur is not the Primary lubricant in diesel fuel.Sulfur is not a lubricant in of itself, but it can combine with the nickel content in many metal alloys to form a low melting point alloy. This does enhance lubrication. During refining or Delivery a similar additive is added to bring this property back. The problem I see with this is only about 1/2 of this is done during refining. We are relying on the delivery driver to take care of the other 1/2.

I deffinetly think some lubrication added by us the end use in moderation helps pumps and depending on the injector, the injectors

I did some research on a couple of my forums and it seems the cummins guys are running 100:1. I also found another post from a member on cummins forum that found this same gunk on his injectors after using it.

OK. I was basing mine on the Spicer Report and assumed the ratio he used was "common".

DieselTech, have you taken apart other diesels where they used 2-cycle oil and seen (or not seen) residue?

I guess I'm trying to figure out if it's something with the ratio he used, the type of 2C oil, injector/engine specific, or driving style (not getting high load often enough).

Thats what i would have thought also but he a hotshotter for a local auto auction with a 4 car hauler. Hauls from here to texas couple times a week. I would say roughly 24,000LBS nearly all the time. My customers trucks get worked!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back