Oil suggestions for 2001 SAAB 9-3 SE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all! This is my first post here. Although I've been a lurker for a while. So my question is one that's been asked a million times here I'm sure.
A little about my engine:
It's stock, It is the B205R engine, and these engines were prone to sludge. The recommended weight is 5w-30 It has almost 130,000 miles on it. My trips mostly are short. I never exceed 5,000 mile change intervals. In previous changes I have used: Royal Purple, Castrol syntec, edge, and Pennzoil Platinum. For the next change I'm looking at Rotella t-synth, as I've heard great things about it. I would also like to use amsoil's engine flush and use their Europe 5w-40. Any input on this application would be great!

Thanks!

Last edited:
First of all: welcome!

Secondly: it doesn't appear you need too much help selecting an oil for your Saab, unless one of the oils you listed above (or all of them, for that matter) has created a problem for you.

I used to own (lease) a 2002 9-3SE. I loved the car, but with the local dealer going out of business this year, I don't cry too hard over having returned it at lease end.

I used M-1 0w-40 for 5k mile OCIs.

I would recommend you use a quality 5w-30 dino oil and Auto-Rx for a 3k mile run to help clean what you believe to be a dirty engine. With the oils you listed above and the 5k intervals, I doubt you have a sludged or dirty engine, though I have reviewed a number of "nasty looking" sludged engines at saabnet.com

Those were likely the result of dino oil and extended OCIs, coupled with generally poor owner maintenance.

Rinse that Auto-Rx after 3k miles with the same dino for another 3k. Then I'd use M-1 0w-40 and a Pure One filter and run 5k mile OCIs.

Rotella T syn is a great choice for that engine. Be careful with the flush. Depending on the condition of the engine, specifically if it's slugded up badly already, the oil pick up screen *may* glogged up. Some recommend removing the screen altogether.

If the engine has been run on syn it's whole life I doubt this is an issue. In which case, go for the Rotella T and don't look back.

That's a great engine if cared for properly!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back