Replacement for Mobil 1 Synthetic Spray Lube?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah. The magic of the M1 is the durability of the stuff. I've used it, for example, on recalcitrant locks and those locks are still in great shape after one application years later. I've been meaning to pick up some kroil, but I have real doubts that it's an effective substitute.

You could PM the Amsoil and Schaeffer's dealers on the board. They will give you the straight info on their products. A welcome change from other sources where "their's is the best".
These guys are pros and don't carp.

Welcome to Bitog by the way.

It seems like the thing I really need to do is invest a few bucks and order a bunch of different stuff some backyard non-scientific testing:

Potential choices are (in no particular order):
Royal Purple Maxfilm Aerosol
Amsoil MP
3M Multi-Purpose Spray Lubricant
Dupont Multi-Use w/ Teflon

The fact that Mobil 1 is not discernably thicker at, say, freezing is an important feature for me. It also doesn't attract dust, isn't tacky, and is very long lasting.

Does anyone have suggestions for products that I should add to my list for comparison? I'm only interested in aerosols. There must be more options than these...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: nrubenstein
I should add CorrosionX to the list. I need more rejex anyway, so ordering up some of that is a no brainer.

I really like CorrosionX. You might also want to try BreakFree CLP or PCL which I think are different variations on the same theme. Only difference I could tell looking at the MSDS is that the CLP had some powder solvent in it, as it is designed for guns...

later,
b

Well, at least in the short term, the CorrosionX is definitely a partial replacement. Functionally, it's effective (the fan on this laptop is no longer making grinding noises), the consistency is comparable with M1, and I think that the foaming action will probably make it more effective. The real downside is the lovely, lovely odor, which is a LOT stronger than the M1.

Anyone have any suggestions on how I might go about comparing the fluids in any kind of meaningful way?

Maybe time to re-address this issue? I have several partly used cans of M1 synthetic spray from when I cleaned out Big Lots maybe 6-7 years ago. Why was the stuff D/C and whats a good replacement?

I think that the closest thing to a replacement is Amsoil Metal Protector. But frankly, it isn't as good.

CorrosionX seems like a slightly better lubricant, but suffers from the odor issue I mentioned way back when. Outdoor use only.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back