Better alternative to Fluid Film?

While I am a fan of fluid film and have used it for years, it doesnt seem to have held up in my last application. I pulled the spare tire on my F150 two months ago, sprayed the rim, where the tire mounts, cable and a few spots under the bed where theres light rust. I checked yesterday and theres barely any coating of the fluid film left. Ive heard there are better alternatives that spray on thicker such as WoolWax, PB Blaster SurfaceShield, which both have lanolin, and then T9 Boeshield. Anyone have experience with any of those?

Has the old style black stuff in a can been proven to be bad in the long run??? I remember Zeibart and a few others that would apply it..

I've tried Blaster Surface Shield as an alternative to Fluid Film. It's available at auto parts stores, Harbor Freight, and the home repair stores. It is much thicker than fluid film and actually works much better but the can/sprayer are not reliable. I've had two cans and they both leak severely at the spray nozzle. It doesn't affect the use but it's messy and wasteful.

I sprayed some inside my rear wheel fender area just to see how it'd hold up during water washout and it was impressive.

Here it is and it's 10 bucks at Harbor Freight:

1692021593955.png

Woolwax is a lot better for exposed surfaces. Areas that take direct tire spray will get worn off, but the rest will remain. I like FF for internal cavities and WW for everything else.

I can show you pics of the frame and undercarriage of my 2022 that I sprayed last fall. It's still a sticky, greasy mess.

Tried HDMP with mediocre results. Using Cosmoline RP342 on the wife's truck with so so results. Holds up better than FF but most areas still need yearly reapplication and it doesn't do well at edges.

FF on my 2011, applied yearly, still can't be beat. I would try Woolwax but I don't see how its worth an additional $20/ga.

Woolwax is more affordable in 5 gal pales. It wont go bad. It smells like a dead animal instead of an antiseptic. I am just waiting for blastershield to be avail in 1 gal or 5 gal locally to try it out. Looks very promising.

Back