RLI Bio-Syn 0w-30 - 7,510 miles -'06 Camry 2AZ-FE

Status
Not open for further replies.
9.75-month OCI (from November 12, 2008 to August 31, 2009).
Toyota OEM air and oil filters were used (Denso 90915-YZZF1 oil filter).
27,130 total car miles on Camry. 7,510 miles on oil.

This was my first fill with Renewable Lubricants BioSyn 0w-30 (a.k.a. RenewableLube, a.k.a. RLI). I had previously used Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30, Mobil 1 5w-30, and Valvoline Dino.
Always gentle driving on roads in Columbia, Missouri and St. Louis.

Special Notes: Probably 70 or 80 percent of this OCI was city driving with most trips averaging somewhere between 12 miles and 30 miles. Over the 9.75 months, there were about 12 or 14 highway trips, each about 130 miles in length between Columbia, Missouri and St. Louis (so about 6 or 7 round-trips with 2 to 7 day lay-overs in St. Louis before the return leg). Highway speeds usually were between 55 mph and 65 mph.

On the actual day of the oil change, in order to get the oil hot just before changing the oil, I drove the car about 45 miles, 35 of which were on the highway.

Although my manual calls for 4 quarts of oil when changing the Denso oil filter, I have always put in 4.25 quarts.

This is Toyota's 2.4L 2AZ-FE engine, an inline 4 cylinder.

Blackstone-Labs results:

Miles on oil: 7,510
Miles on engine: 27,130
Sample date: 8/31/2009 ; Report date: 9/4/2009
Makeup oil added: 0

First number = Bio-Syn 0w-30 (7,500-mile OCI over 9.75 months)
Second number = PP 5w-30 (4,920-mile OCI over 6 months)
Third number = Universal Averages for this engine over about a 5,000-mile OCI

Aluminum 2 , 3 , 3
Chromium 1 , 0 , 0
Iron 15 , 7 , 11

Copper 1 , 1 , 2
Lead 17 , 3 , 2
Tin 0 , 0 , 0

Molybdenum 10 , 53 , 82
Nickel 0 , 0 , 0
Manganese 0 , 0 , 0

Silver 0 , 0 , 0
Titanium 0 , 0 , 0

---------
Potassium 3 , 2 , 1
Boron 11 , 28 , 37
Silicon 16 , 17 , 17
Sodium 6 , 4 , 17
---------

Calcium 2511 , 2795 , 2343
Magnesium 14 , 15 , 100
Phosphorous 733 , 714 , 701
Zinc 953 , 860 , 840
Barium 1 , 1 , 0

MY Bio-Syn 0w-30 RESULTS // My PP 5w-30 RESULTS // WHAT VALUES SHOULD BE

SUS Viscosity @ 210* F = 62.4 // 59.3 // 58 - 65
cSt Viscosity @ 100* C = 10.88 // 10.03 // 9.6 - 11.9
Flashpoint in * F = 415 // 400 // > 385

Fuel % = < 0.5 // < 0.5 // < 2.0
Antifreeze % = 0.0 // 0.0 // 0.0
Water % = 0.0 // 0.0 // < 0.1
Insolubles % = 0.3 // 0.2 // < 0.6

TBN = 2.0 // 4.7 (RenewableLube // Pennzoil Platinum)
TAN = 8.5 // 0.9 (RenewableLube // Pennzoil Platinum)

ISO Code = 19 / 18 / 15 (Denso OEM filter was used. Next time, I'll test the oversized Mobil 1 209 oil filter.)

Last edited:
What was Blackstones explanation of the results? Did they say why they thought the lead was so high?

How is engine noise and performance and fuel mileage v. PP? I am not a thai-sourced denso filter fan, the OEM is a Japon Denso maybe 90915-10003 or 4 - a completely different animal.

Last edited:
Well, before I write what Blackstone said, I'd like to hear what you guys have to say. I don't want Blackstone to influence your opinions in any way. After all, Blackstone could be wrong on occasion, and the fellas writing here might be right. I'll write what Blackstone said in 3 or 4 days.

Last edited:
The answer is easy.

Pb chelation by weak organic acids. Mostly clean-up of new surfaces, but it is somewhat reflected in the TBN of 2.5. Not bad, your engine will do fine, but you don't really need RLI.

Blackstone probably will say particle streak or something

Originally Posted By: 21Rouge
Originally Posted By: Pablo
but you don't really need RLI.

Pablo what do you think is the right situation(s) for RLI?

That's a good question. The GODs used to say "high fuel dilution situations". Then we saw some other oils do really well with tons of fuel. I'd say the best plus is for saving petroleum products.

Cleaning up what exactly? The previous OCI was PP, so it shouldn't exactly be sludged up.

I've seen other UOA's on RLI with high lead. As far as I am concerned, NO THANKS.

I'm not defending or attacking RLI. Not sludge. Cleaning the bearing wear surfaces of 27K miles of AW coating complexes, which include Pb that was not at all soluble in the previous oils. Add a high ester/"natural" oil which can and does have weak acids/high chelation - the Pb is now in solution and detected in a UOA. This can only be compared to the well defended cases of high Pb in first usage Redline UOA's.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
Cleaning up what exactly? The previous OCI was PP, so it shouldn't exactly be sludged up.

I've seen other UOA's on RLI with high lead. As far as I am concerned, NO THANKS.

RLI: Wouldn't touch the stuff with a 10' pole.

I really appreciate you posting this info as there are not many RLI 0W30 in the UOA forum.

I have 2 gallons of this same product in my basement. I was intending to use it this coming January, in the middle of our winter
08.gif
in a GM DI engine (a likely fuel diluter) but I am not sure now.

I know you added no oil and you slightly overfill but did you notice any oil consumption in this pretty lengthy OCI?

And maybe I missed it but what did you replace the RLI with in this change?

The TAN bothers me. I'd guess the cause is breakdown of veggie esters. I think iron and lead wears numbers are related to the high TAN.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
What do you say about the guy with the Envoy using RLI and getting consistently high lead?

Link?

Are you referring to a previous UOA?

I agree with Pablo on this one! It looks like a Redline first OCI UOA in fact. I would not worry about a thing. I would not use RLI unless I had fuel dilution issues from direct injection. I do not have a problem with their product just like Amsoil they make a great product too......My problem is with price for performance. It really did not do anything for you that the PP did not do. In fact the TBN retension was better for the PP.

So I would either stick with PP or if you wanted a more premium product consider Amsoil S3k 5W30 and maybe doing some extended oil change intervals. I can say this much M1 0W40 works great in the 2AZ-FE Toyota engine. It shears down to a 0W30 in no time flat but in my application a 2003 Toyota Camry it produced nice low wear numbers and had good TBN retension!Best part is that you can get it Walmart so the price is good.

Chelation means "to claw" it is a chemical process that removes metals especialy from human cells like bone and soft tissue. The Navy used it to remove lead from people that worked in engine rooms. THey used EDTA for this. In an engine all of the materials are oxidizing constantly. Most oils do not have the polarity and grip so to speak to lift oxidation off the surfaces of the part's. Oils with lots of ester content do this with no problem at all. So since the test we are looking at can not differentiate from wear metal versus chemical surface cleaning we have to look at this in light of what we know from past UOA of not only this product but other products like it. Redline was the first oil to really bring this fact to our attention backin 2003 I think it was.

When lead is higher then iron we normaly would say that the oil was too thin or did not have enough HTHS but we know that this engine can live on 5W20 or 0W20 depending on the year it was manufactured. My 2AZFE can not live on 20wt. but it has been run on M1R0W30 so we know that this oil has plenty of HTHS. So if the viscosity is fine and the add pack is normal then why is lead higher then iron???? Cleaning! This is also why the other wear items where not spiked a lot. In order to see a large increase in the lead and iron wear like we say here the other wear metals would have had to have been muchhigher then they are to be real wear. The lack of higher numbers inthe cromium,tin, and cooper make us suspect chemical cleaning.

Agree with JB and Pablo 100% on this one. Not a bad product, but does not 'read' like other oils.

IF run again, numbers will most likely be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back