QuakerState "Ultimate" any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, Ive read through all the posts on QS's new synthetic line.

I'm thinking of buying it for the Jeep and my wifes CRV because of access and price. Its the cheapest synthetic at our local parts store.

I'll be doing semi anual changes on both cars, with about 5500K changes on the CRV.

Whats the consencus on this stuff? I can also get Mobil 1 10w30 and 5w20 OR Syntec in both flavours, but both are priced higher than the QS.

I could just use Dino in the jeep, but I'm trying for maximum MPG!

Thanks,

Ryan

Quaker State needs to stop changing the names on their oils and just pick a name and stick with it! Changing them every year is getting OLD!

Quaker State Ultimate Durability = Quaker State Horsepower

I am sure someone will chime in if they made any changes to the oil but the Ultimate variety is replacing the Horsepower I "assume" since it says Horsepower on the bottle in small print under the "new" name. Their new web site also sucks big time as well. NO useful information of any kind. Probably done on purpose so you can not compare spec's from the Horsepower and Torquepower oils with the new Ehanced and Ultimate Durability formulas which would show this was nothing more( probably )than a marketing/name change thing.

Their Horsepower oil was really good and I used some of it personally. I have a few family members, who I help out with their auto maintenance, that I had using QS HP as well. However, I have to be honest when I say I am being turned off by all these name changes and the [censored] information from them. I am thinking about having those family members using QS HP swap to Penzoil Platinum or Valvoline Synpower JUST because I am so sick of QS changing names faster than most people change their skivies.
mad.gif

Quaker State has always been a good brand but I have about had it with their marketing. I am about at the point they are going to be added to the list of oil mfg's I wont deal with( Amsoil and Mobil are the other 2 at this time )based on how the company acts. I know QS is owned by a parent company but the other brand companies do not pull this [censored]! Pick a name, stick with it, and post the info on the darn oil so we can see what you are doing with it. All these changes and secrecy put me off.

Ok, rant over!
crazy2.gif

Last edited:
There first big mistake was when some bozo in marketing decided to name their synthetics Q. I think over the years that Q all by itself has hurt their sales. That would be like changing Pennzoil to P, or Mobil to M, or Valvoline to V, or Shell to S. Never made any since to me. Call it what it is, Quaker State Synthetic.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
There first big mistake was when some bozo in marketing decided to name their synthetics Q. I think over the years that Q all by itself has hurt their sales. That would be like changing Pennzoil to P, or Mobil to M, or Valvoline to V, or Shell to S. Never made any since to me. Call it what it is, Quaker State Synthetic.

They should hire you to run the marketing department.
grin2.gif

Some good old common sense would do them a world of good.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I was surprised at their website too. Its the ONLY site Ive seen that doesnt list any specs for their oils. Maybe I missed it, but thats just plain sketchy.

I've never had an issue with their marketing, their just fumbling around in the dark for what sells their oil.

Is it good stuff though? Its hard to tell without any real specs. I'll start digging through the UOA posts.

Shell should just put an end to QS and merge all their resources into the Pennzoil brand. Focus more on Shell's Platinum brand. My .02

It's good stuff. I don't quite get QS's marketing but the products are great. As much as I hate to say it Torquepower goes better in my 4.7 than Synpower.

Originally Posted By: buster
Shell should just put an end to QS and merge all their resources into the Pennzoil brand. Focus more on Shell's Platinum brand. My .02

The reason they don't is because it is the number 2 selling PCMO in North America.

I didn't know it was #2. Well in that case, it makes sense to keep both brands unless QS is really losing sales to their competitors.

The only way they would do that is if it fell out of the top 5, and I doubt they would do it then. Last rankings I saw last year for PCMO sales (which includes the installed market and retail market) were as follows for the top 5 brands.

1. Pennzoil
2. Quaker State
3. Valvoline
4. Castrol
5. Havoline
6. All the rest

You may be right about Canada addyguy. Quaker State has been very popular in Canada for many years.

I also should not have said North America, the rankings are for the USA.

Last edited:
The only way they would do that is if it fell out of the top 5, and I doubt they would do it then. Last rankings I saw last year for PCMO sales (which includes the installed market and retail market) were as follows for the top 5 brands.

1. Pennzoil
2. Quaker State
3. Valvoline
4. Castrol
5. Havoline
6. All the rest

XOM has no conventional in the top 5. Interesting. They are clearly the synthetic leader. For now.

Mobil's big push has always been Mobil 1. The rankings change quite a bit in the PCMO synthetic sales.

1. Mobil 1 (by a huge margin) will be a cold day in _ _ _ _ before there replaced.
2. Pennzoil Platinum (just moved up last year)
3. Castrol Syntec
4. Valvoline Synpower
5. Quaker State
6. All the rest

It's a great oil...never used the syn, but I really like QS dino and have a family member who will ONLY use QS dino. 3 cars with a combined 950k miles and not one oil related issue!

Johnny,

Are the ratios still the same with over 80% (IIRC) of all oil being sold is conventional vs syn?

Do you know how much of Pennzoil sales are conventional vs syn?

Thanks, Bill

I have not seen that report in a while, but the last one I saw conventional was about between 85-90% of sales. Same would hold true for the Pennzoil numbers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BTLew81
It's a great oil...never used the syn, but I really like QS dino and have a family member who will ONLY use QS dino. 3 cars with a combined 950k miles and not one oil related issue!
Same with my Uncle. I change the oil for him and he will ONLY use QS. I tried to put in some Chevron and almost got shot!
LOL.gif

He has never had a single problem in many vehicles. His F250 is well over 200k and spends a lot of time in 4 wheel low and still doing great. When he loads that truck and truck bed trailer with wood and just goes up and down the grades with ease is just amazing. (351 V8 with 4 speed)

QS is good oil. Well worth the $10.50 for 5 quarts at retail IMO.

I have not seen that report in a while, but the last one I saw conventional was about between 85-90% of sales. Same would hold true for the Pennzoil numbers.

Thanks for the info!
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Quaker State needs to stop changing the names on their oils and just pick a name and stick with it! Changing them every year is getting OLD!

Not for me...because WM closes out the old stuff at 1/2 price
thumbsup2.gif

I have 25 5quart jugs of the Qtorquepower & Q Horsepower that I have paid an average of $2.35 a quart for.
banana2.gif

I hope they change the name to Q Applesauce in 2 more years when my stash gets low.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back