Mechanic: now using semi-synthetic + BG MOA

Hi guys - occasional BITOG reader - 1st post! (2007 Accord, 2.4/5mt)
For as long as I've been going to my independent mechanic, he's done my oil changes with 5w20 conventional oil.

Until recently.
I noticed on the last oil change he used semi-synthetic oil + BG MOA 115 additive. Apparently I can go 10,000 km.

On conventional oil, I'd usually have the oil changed between 7-8,000 km, before it would be time to get the summer/winter tires swapped. The oil life indicator would show ~ 15-20%, so I'm sure it could go a little further.

Price difference: Increase of ~ $30 Canadian. It was a noticeable % increase in price, yet his shop is bigger, so I presume he needs to increase prices.

-----------------------------------

I do plenty of short trips around town so I'm sure it's better for the car anyway.
Do you think mechanics are getting away from conventional oil these days?

Hi,

I wonder how much the BG additive factors for the price increase?
Also I wonder what oil was used in your car.

In any case, welcome to BITOG! Now is time to do your oil changes yourself, haha!

Last edited:
Most conventional oil is a blend now. Some praise MOA. Only reason I can see your increase in price is MOA and since you don't seem to have been notified I would question the shop about using a product that you didn't authorize.

Depending on the lubricant company, BG MOA may void your motor oil warranty. I've seen it first hand working the claims process. Any additive introduced into the oil changes the formula, and since it is no longer the product as manufactured, no warranty applies.
For an additional $30, you should be getting a premium synthetic. As blended, you'd receive a benefit. If a shop is selling you oil that needs BG MOA, they need to buy better oil.

A good quality oil will have all the additives and protection you need. Like others said, BG and other additives are simply profit makers for the shop. Ask your mechanic if you can bring in your own oil & filter. My mechanic charges me a reasonable labor fee and I get to use the syn oil I got for cheap during rebate season. Been doing this for years in the winter time when I don't feel like laying on an icy driveway :)

A good quality oil will have all the additives and protection you need. Like others said, BG and other additives are simply profit makers for the shop. Ask your mechanic if you can bring in your own oil & filter. My mechanic charges me a reasonable labor fee and I get to use the syn oil I got for cheap during rebate season. Been doing this for years in the winter time when I don't feel like laying on an icy driveway :)

Thanks for the feedback guys.
My mechanic no longer allows customers to bring in their own parts (used to) - and I presume that would include oil as well, but not 100% sure.

I'd likely have to go elsewhere, to save ~ $60 Cdn. pre-tax / per year - which ins't breaking the bank - but at least I would know what oil is going in.
Would Kirkland Signature full synthetic 5w20 (Costco) be a terrible idea?
------------------------------------------------

My mechanic no longer allows customers to bring in their own parts (used to) - and I presume that would include oil as well, but not 100% sure.

I'd likely have to go elsewhere, to save ~ $60 Cdn. pre-tax / per year - which ins't breaking the bank - but at least I would know what oil is going in.
As a former Mechanic I understand him not wanting customers bring in own parts as no way to warranty them. When part fails you have to pay labor then he has to wait on you to get replacement part which ties up shop. Shops mark up prices as well as labor to stay in business. When I do work at home for anyone I get the parts myself as I have seen defective parts before so easier for me to bring back instead of calling customer then waiting on them. As for as oil goes that is an exception at most shops as oil changes only have a labor warranty.

Kirkland = WPP at least in USA
WPP = Mag 1, Peak, SuperTech, Travellers, Amazon Basics, etc.

Mag 1 has MDS for it on their site if you want to see an oil that's likely very similar (if not the same).

It's Dexos 1 Gen 2 approved in the associated viscosities. 10,000 km should not be a problem. Many cars can go 16,000 km with.

We have a member with 650,000+ km with the SuperTech version and 16,000 km changes on a 4.6L 2V Ford.

Last edited:

You should check with him, my mech won't let me bring in parts but oil and filter are no problem, not much can go wrong there.

Hi,

I wonder how much the BG additive factors for the price increase?
Also I wonder what oil was used in your car.

In any case, welcome to BITOG! Now is time to do your oil changes yourself, haha!
Probably a lot. Bg stuff is expensive in Canada.

For as long as I've been going to my independent mechanic, he's done my oil changes with 5w20 conventional oil.

Until recently.
I noticed on the last oil change he used semi-synthetic oil + BG MOA 115 additive. Apparently I can go 10,000 km.

On conventional oil, I'd usually have the oil changed between 7-8,000 km, before it would be time to get the summer/winter tires swapped. The oil life indicator would show ~ 15-20%, so I'm sure it could go a little further.

Price difference: Increase of ~ $30 Canadian. It was a noticeable % increase in price, yet his shop is bigger, so I presume he needs to increase prices.

I do plenty of short trips around town so I'm sure it's better for the car anyway.
Yes......go to Costco and grab the double jugs of syn.
Maybe bring it to him if you can't do it yourself.

Until recently.

You can also check online. In Ottawa we have numerous mobile mechanics that come to your house to do work.

Is BG MOA 115 additive a Canadian product . Never heard of it , but that does not mean a lot .
Dunno about the Canadian business, but the independent used Mercedes dealer from whom I bought my cars in Denver, and who serviced them occasionally, swore by BG MOA as a great engine protector. I bought a can once, winced at the price (and that was 20+ years ago), and added it to my W126's oil. Nothing terrible happened. But I never used it again.

Back