2003 ford E350 box truck,what oil to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a ford E350 ford box truck with 95000 miles.The truck is mixed NYC and suburban deliveries.OIl changes are hard to do for the reason of time,the truck is used six days a week so no real time to drop off the truck for an oil change, and its, the oil change nobdy wants to do because you cant pull it into the garage bay.So i been doing it myself but it,s a pain,really no time for it.What oil should I use and at what milelage sould it be done at.The truck calls for 5/20 but i like 5/30 better.The 20 wght burns to quick with the heavy loads it carries

Originally Posted By: nickaluch
I have a ford E350 ford box truck with 95000 miles.The truck is mixed NYC and suburban deliveries.OIl changes are hard to do for the reason of time,the truck is used six days a week so no real time to drop off the truck for an oil change, and its, the oil change nobdy wants to do because you cant pull it into the garage bay.So i been doing it myself but it,s a pain,really no time for it.What oil should I use and at what milelage sould it be done at.The truck calls for 5/20 but i like 5/30 better.The 20 wght burns to quick with the heavy loads it carries

What are you currently using for oil and filter and what are your current oil change intervals?

When I used to oversee maintenance of a small fleet of service vehicles (mostly Fords) I used everything from a 5W-20 to a 10W-30, whatever I could get a good deal on. We did the OCI's in house and changed at 5000 miles or so.

If what you've been using has been working for you, stick with it. In your climate I'd think a 5W-30 would be fine. You can change to full synthetic if you want to extend your OCI but you've got increased cost to consider as well.

No one like to do oil changes in lousy weather so wait for a day when the weather's gonna be decent and knock it out. I'm sure you've shopped around the local garages and oil change joints to see what they'd charge for the job.

the one quick lube place that the truck fits in wants 95 dollars for the mobil one oil change, .I,m no cheap [censored] but that is crazy.The only day the truck is not used is on a sunday,no local shops are open but the quick lube place .

If you wanted to stick with a 30 the Amsoil ACD would be excellent as mentioned by others above. In a vehicle that asks for a 20 it is hard not to suggest the ASM 0w-20 just because it has been working so well in a variety of applications. Of course a quality filter should be used to extend out the intervals a bit such as the Amsoil, WIX, or Purolator Pure One filters.

Links
ACD

ASM

How many miles can I push the amsoil oil in this truck.
How many miles can I push the amsoil oil in this truck.

What are you currently running for miles between changes?

With a good filter like the AMSOIL EaO I would be comfortable running 10K. At that time I would do an oil analysis to determine if we can go further next time.

What's the sump size on this truck?

Since you lack time for oil changes, I'd use a good synthetic for extended drains like Pennzoil Platinum 10w30 every 7500 miles. This is of course assuming the engine is in good shape with no coolant leaks or anything. Another route you could take is Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5w40...but I'm not quite sure what the warranty situation is. These are both excellent oils.

They use Rotella 10w30 on the shuttles at work, basically the same. They get driven hard 1 mile up hill and easily 1 mile down hill with a bunch of overweight nurses. No consumption on all but two. One brand new one 20k (very strange) and the other with 200k (probably PCV). They get changed every 5k. I know when I drive them I put them through the paces.. yes a 10k bus can beat a [censored] can Honda.. and I know I'm not the only one so they have a hard life.

The warranty is long over and the engine runs strong, no leaks.Can I ues a 5/40 in a ford triton engine?

It shouldn't be a problem. The Rotella is a fleet oil and can be used in virtually any Diesel or Gasoline engine. It has a very high detergency and is basically meant to work in robust engines.

http://www.shell.com/home/Framework?site...tellasynth.html

Since Ford specs 5w20 maybe you'd be better off with Pennzoil Platinum 10w30 to inhibit the oil burning issue.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Eric Smith
They use Rotella 10w30 on the shuttles at work, basically the same. They get driven hard 1 mile up hill and easily 1 mile down hill with a bunch of overweight nurses. No consumption on all but two. One brand new one 20k (very strange) and the other with 200k (probably PCV). They get changed every 5k. I know when I drive them I put them through the paces.. yes a 10k bus can beat a [censored] can Honda.. and I know I'm not the only one so they have a hard life.

haha, is that at KUMC?

It's not UMKC but we're next to their dental school.. I'd better not say which one I work for. Those womens at work are vindictive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back