What kind of oil do you use in your Ford 3.5 N.A. engine..

Just posting it out of curiosity, if you own a Ford with a 3.5 L non-aspirated engine, what oil and viscosity do you use? I personally use Mobil 1 Advanced 5W20.

2017 Explorer 3.5l and I use a variety of 5w-20 full synthetic oils. 82,000 miles and going strong…

More recently Kirkland brand because it’s a great value…

We got our Edge with the 3.5 at 22k. Now at 57k it has had nothing but Euro 5w40s and that’s all it is going to get.

If the Mustang wasn’t under warranty that’s what it would be getting as well.

It doesn’t cost any more and the specs these oils meet blow typical API ILSAC oils out of the water.

Last edited:
We got our Edge with the 3.5 at 22k. Now at 57k it has had nothing but Euro 5w40s and that’s all it is going to get.

If the Mustang wasn’t under warranty that’s what it would be getting as well.

It doesn’t cost anymore and the specs these oils meet blow typical API ILSAC oils out of the water.
I thought about running, Euro 5W30

That engine is not picky. Any 0W-20 or 5W-30 should work well year around.
Yes thank you I remember dnewton telling me about that as well.. I use 5W20, I think 0w-20 is a little thin.. 5W20 is bad enough, next oil change I might up it to 5W30 I'm not sure yet.

Yes thank you I remember dnewton telling me about that as well.. I use 5W20, I think 0w-20 is a little thin.. 5W20 is bad enough, next oil change I might up it to 5W30 I'm not sure yet.
Do it
Your timing chains might thank you down the road.
Summer is around the corner

Friend that has Explorer is using HPL NO VII 5w30 in his with Prime Guard filters without issue. Doing 9k OCI’s

Mine is a 2014 3.5 N/A. It gets Motorcraft 5W-20 semi synthetic and Motorcraft oil filter. Done by dealer, $89, includes OBD code /check brake pad thickness report, fully top off of all fluids and tire rotation. OCI is every year or 5k miles.

Oil has the Ford specification license given in the manual. Mine has three more years of Ford factory warranty remaining so I don’t want any “You used an out of spec oil” issue if I have any warranty claims, especially the big one - water pump. Plus this oil keeps the area I can see under the oil filler cap spotless. Trans fluid is Ford brand Mercon LV.

There's no guarantee that a 20-grade oil with a 0W winter rating is any thinner than one with a 5W rating unless you are below about -35 or so. And at that point all oils are going to be extremely thick. Above that temperature it is quite possible the one with the 0W rating is thicker.

But even then you will only see a meaningful increase in HT/HS by going up a grade as you note.

I had a 2018 Taurus. It saw a lot of Mobil 1 5W-20 and Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5W-20.

The 3.5 will be happy with about any 20 - 40 weight. Good motors. Smooth and reliable. Just wish the water pump was an easier job.

They’re easily one of my favorite modern V6s.

There's no guarantee that a 20-grade oil with a 0W winter rating is any thinner than one with a 5W rating unless you are below about -35 or so. And at that point all oils are going to be extremely thick. Above that temperature it is quite possible the one with the 0W rating is thicker.

But even then you will only see a meaningful increase in HT/HS by going up a grade as you note.
If you were above - 35 why would the 0w 20 be thicker than 5W30 I can understand it being equal to 5W-20??

I had a 2018 Taurus. It saw a lot of Mobil 1 5W-20 and Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5W-20.

The 3.5 will be happy with about any 20 - 40 weight. Good motors. Smooth and reliable. Just wish the water pump was an easier job.

They’re easily one of my favorite modern V6s.
Mine was a one owner car before I got it, in 2015 with 85k, previous owner, only changed it at the dealer, obviously Motorcraft synthetic blend, with a Motorcraft filter. I have used a lot of Motorcraft filters, Wix filters, right now I'm using a Pure one, and so far I'm the happiest with the Purolator, cause I can let this car sit 4 days, and all the oil still stays in the filter, no dry starts, no top end taps.. I have used Motorcraft blend over the years, I've also used Valvoline Max life over the years. But I've been using Mobil 1 repetitively the longest.

Mine was a one owner car before I got it, in 2015 with 85k, previous owner, only changed it at the dealer, obviously Motorcraft synthetic blend, with a Motorcraft filter. I have used a lot of Motorcraft filters, Wix filters, right now I'm using a Pure one, and so far I'm the happiest with the Purolator, cause I can let this car sit 4 days, and all the oil still stays in the filter, no dry starts, no top end taps.. I have used Motorcraft blend over the years, I've also used Valvoline Max life over the years. But I've been using Mobil 1 repetitively the longest.
How many miles when you changed out the water pump pre-emptively? I know you've posted it before, but I don't remember now.

One of our customers is security company and they have the 3.5 in their patrol cars (with police package). They don't get run hard like a police car but they get a lot of idling and slow driving around campuses and stuff so we consider it severe duty. With that being said they have been on a diet of STP synthetic in 5w/30 with STP XL filters. They come in anywhere between 5-7k miles for oil changes. The cars run good and look fine inside when last peeked in one for a valve cover gasket replacement.

Back