2003 Hyundai Tiburon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another note- the car has always had the oil changed at the Hyundai dealer every 3k-4k miles.

I'm thinking of just doing two 3000 mile runs of dino oil and supertech filter to get her past warrenty with no issues, then going to Mobil1 5w30 for a 5k run then up to 7k (with a filter change), do a UOA and see where it's at.

Double check, but if this is the 2.7L engine, I believe a Wix 51334 or Purolator L14459 or Pure One PL14459 will fit your car.

Mobil 1 and a uoa @ 5K sounds like a very good idea.
grin.gif

Since your in Cold weather why not try M1 0w30 or 0w40 and go as far as 10k OCI. I did over 100k miles on my Tiby with out a singe problem. It was the 2liter motor not the V6. You will have no problems going out to 10k miles if it is driven on a Highway a lot.

Enjoy the car.

I'd rather go with 5w30 since it gets pretty warm here in the summer as well...

Any advice on a dino oil for the next 6k as well or does it matter?

0W-40 is thicker than 5W-30 when warm, and will pump better when cold. It's a very good oil. Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 would be a good, cheaper alternative too.

We have a 2.7L in our Santa Fe. I believe it is the same engine.

From what I can tell you this engine seems to run really well on M1 10w-30 and either a Hyundai or Purolator Premium Plus oil filter. Any other combination seems to make more noise (and I've tired many). Right now I'm running M1 0w-30 and a Wix 51334. There is quite a bit of start up noise and it's a little louder at idle after warmed up. I'm doing 5K OCIs as well

The dealer recommends 10w-30 and they use Castrol GTX.

Last winter, we had to go up to Kansas for an emergency. I had the M1 10w-30 in with an oversized Premium Plus 24458 I think? I didn't get a chance to go with a thinner oil before we had to leave. It got down right cold, but this oil worked wonderfully.

I don't know why I keep playing? I'm due for a change in 1K, and I'm going back to M1 10w-30.

Brian

Hyundai's come with a 5 yr/60,000 mile bumper to bumper and a 10 yr/100,000 mile powertrain warrenty for the original owner. So there is plenty of warrenty left.
Hyundai also recomends a 7500 mile OCI for their light duty service, and any synthetic should do that with no problem. I am using GC in my 2.0 and a Hyundai filter with no problems.

Brian Miller, my dealer uses bulk Mobil Drive Clean 10W-30.

The 2.7L is very easy on oil. My wifes '03 Sonata runs 5w/30 Valvoline Durablend at 3k OCI's but the UOA's from Blackstone say I can run 4500 to 5k with her driving style. Which is about 50/50% city highway driving.

Hey all, I'm trying to figure out what kind of oil to put in a 2003 Hyundai Tiburon. It's a V6 that puts out about 180hp I believe.

It has 44k miles on it and sees a bit of long distance travel- but sees city driving as well.

It's my girlfriends car and I'd like to start doing the oil changes for her but I'm not sure what will work well. I haven't decided between a synthetic or non-synthetic but I'm guessing I'll just go with a SuperTech filter since they are a good price/performance. Does anyone know what size fits? I'd prefer a larger filter if possible.

The car will be out of warrenty in 6k as well so I'm not worried about an extended drain voiding the warrenty.

We live in Wisconsin and see extreme cold temperatures.

Thanks for the help guys. I went with the M1 5w30 and a Supertech filter.

I wasn't sure where to pick up a Purolator or Wix filter and the Supertech's seem to get great reviews around here.

quote:

Originally posted by Captal:
Thanks for the help guys. I went with the M1 5w30 and a Supertech filter.

I wasn't sure where to pick up a Purolator or Wix filter and the Supertech's seem to get great reviews around here.

NAPA, Advance Auto, O'Reilly's. OK on Super-Tech, I just named these for easy cross reference. Pure's seem to work if start-up noise is ever an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back