Valvoline Max-life on low mileage engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got my free 5 qts of Valvoline Max-life for my Jeep. I have been using Valvoline All-Season for the first 20,000 miles, and have enough for 2 more oil changes (Got it for $.89.qt). So at 27,000 miles, is using the max-life then switching back to a non-high mileage oil at the next oil change going to hurt anything? As to what oil, not sure yet, but it will be a dino and 3k OCI.
My biggest concern is the additives in the max-life will cause seals to swell and such and then get washed away with the regular dino.
I searche on Max-life and nothing seemed to really answer this.

I don't think its the greatest thing to swell up your seals unnecessarily. Also, the HM oils tend to be a bit thicker, so depending on what your engine likes, and the weather, it may not be the best either.

JMH

Im also going to put valvoline max life in my 4.0 grand cherokee 10w30 .i dont think its going to hurt anything it says in the bottle that its safe to use in new cars too.even if you use it only one time it shouldnt hurt anything.remmember that jeeps specially 4.0 like thicker oilssome people even run 10w40 in their engines so 10w30 is good.for the record i been using pennzoil 10w30 most of the time an the jeep likes it.im going to tr max life couse i got it for free

Use Maxlife. I would not even consider using AllClimate, which does not appear that great in the tech data sheets at Vavloline's web site. There are some good UOAs on Maxlife at this site.

EDIT: If you run 10w40, consider the Durablend 10w40 which is ACEA A3 rated.

[ September 30, 2004, 09:13 AM: Message edited by: TallPaul ]

The seal-swelling is assmumed to be a process for the well-aged seals of an older engine. Newer engines, like yours, probably don't have much of any seal-swelling issues as the seals haven't shrunk, deteriorated nor have they gotten all gummy yet.

I'm sure it will be just fine in your Jeep. With running an oil like MaxLife for the duration of an engine's life, it would be interesting to see what, if any, goo is underneath the valve covers at 125K miles. Besides, don't Jeep 4.0L's like a thicker 30wt or mid 40wt?

quote:

Originally posted by haley10:
Check out www.valvoline.com

They say it is completely safe to use and you may switch back and forth.

Ok, I had read the first page where it said it was OK to use it with new or rebuild engines, but I had never clicked on the FAQ to see that it said you could switch back and forth. Thanks.

TallPaul, I have used Valvoline All-Season since I got this Jeep, 3k OCI, and I am going to do a UOA on the next change to see if it is bad as everyone seems to think. From the comments many have said, they feel Valvoline AS does not give what the price indicates it should. Well, @ $.89 a qt, I will see just how it has done for me. Like I said, I will see how this UOA does, and if it is good, I will stick with the AS, if not, I'm not sure.

quote:

Originally posted by haley10:
blupupher, which engine and which grade 10W-30 or 10-40 are you running??

Ooops, sorry.
4.0 I6, 10w-30.
I am in Houston, and run the 10w-30 year round. I could probably get away with a 10w-40, but I just can't get over the bad rap it got years ago.

If you get good oil pressure with the 10w30 then I would not think there is a need to step up to the 40 weight. You are getting a good price on the AllClimate (are we talking about the same oil? AllSeason vs AllClimate). I just like the tech parameters on the Maxlife and for my 10w40 the Durablend is very nice with a -39C pour vs -36 Maxlife and -33 AllClimate.

Also, Maxlife and Durablend have much better flash points, which if correspond to a lower NOACK volitility loss, then that would likely reduce any consumption.

quote:

Originally posted by ToyotaNSaturn:
With running an oil like MaxLife for the duration of an engine's life, it would be interesting to see what, if any, goo is underneath the valve covers at 125K miles.

interesting that you just said since I just replaced my valve cover gasket yesterday at 120k miles. ran maxlife most of the last 50k miles. it was spotless underneath and shiny. wish I had film to take a pic.

quote:

Originally posted by TallPaul:
If you get good oil pressure with the 10w30 then I would not think there is a need to step up to the 40 weight. You are getting a good price on the AllClimate (are we talking about the same oil? AllSeason vs AllClimate). I just like the tech parameters on the Maxlife and for my 10w40 the Durablend is very nice with a -39C pour vs -36 Maxlife and -33 AllClimate.

Also, Maxlife and Durablend have much better flash points, which if correspond to a lower NOACK volitility loss, then that would likely reduce any consumption.

All Climate/ All Season, whatever. Pep boys puts it on sale with a rebate every few months or so. I have bought 3 cases so far ($32 for 36 qts), but never looked real close to see the exact name, just the white bottle and the 10w-30 is all I looked at.
The oil pressure is fine year round, but occasionaly when offroading, it does get hot (not overheating, just warmer than normal) sitting there idling up stuff. It is one of the main reasons I do 3k oil changes.
Heck, if they keep doing the free oil, I will stay with it. Maybe get my dad and brothers to buy some also. (they all go to the quick oil change places
rolleyes.gif
) So that would be another 20 qts of it. I would be good for 3 more oil changes for just the price of stamps and an oil filters. Hmmmm

My wife is going to be pi$$ed. I laughed when I first heard some of these guys here having 50+ qts of oil, but if I get 20 more, that will put me above 60, although only 8 of it is the green gummy juice from the little elves in Germany.

[ September 30, 2004, 03:26 PM: Message edited by: blupupher ]

Well you definintely have a good price. If economy is important to you you may be doing it right. I don't know that AllClimate is necessairly bad oil, just that the other Valvos are better.

My stash photo is posted in the Pictures forum.

quote:

Originally posted by TallPaul:
Well you definintely have a good price. If economy is important to you you may be doing it right. I don't know that AllClimate is necessairly bad oil, just that the other Valvos are better.

My stash photo is posted in the Pictures forum.

Yea, I see from your pic you like Valvoline.
grin.gif

I really am not trying to be cheap. A mechanic friend of mine has always said use Valvoline, so I have for the past 5-6 yrs. When it was on sale, just bought a bunch. Then started reading this site. Before that, it was whatever was cheapest (never off brand, just cheapest name brand). I am not quite that far yet, but I seem to be getting there.
8 qts GC 0w-30, 12 qts Valvoline All Climate 10w-30, 5 qts Valvoline Max Life 10w-30, 1 5qt jug Mobil 1 10w-30, 2 qts Penzoil 5w-30, 2 1/2 qts Pro Line? 10w-30 (dad was cleaning out his garage and gave me these, used in the mower) 3 qts gear oil, 1 pint hydraulic jack oil, and 1 or 2 qts ATF. Oh, and 1/2 a bottle of MMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back