Zirconium is the marker in VW508.00. It is a fuel economy oil

Basic oils with a high stability and excellent viscosity temperature characteristics (or high viscosity index) are used in fuel economy oils, meaning that the oil does not become too viscous at high temperatures.Â

I assume that should read too thin

Originally Posted by wemay

... .... ...

After driving around with the 0W-40 for a couple days now, i do notice a slight sluggishness off the line, but this might be psychological.

I noticed it directly on the Jetta which is a small 1.4 with a stick. Noticed something's not quite right, then more and more I said to myself "they put the wrong oil in". And fuel mileage tanked big time.

You can't go from a HTHS 2.5 to a 3.5 without noticing it.

Then I finally verified they used bulk 5W40. I read the label on the tank.

The VW Dealer lied to me when I asked them MULTIPLE TIMES If they put in 0W20.

I had to get the Service writer to put in my Motul. The Techs wouldn't do it.

They were standing around like a bunk of street thugs as I "witnessed' My oil going in.

Next time, I'm going to wear my .45 on my hip and see if they give me attitude.

The best oil ever in this car for general operation was whatever the Factory put in .

Mexicana De Lubricantes, S.A. De C.V. AKRON Spitzen?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted by wemay

... .... ...

After driving around with the 0W-40 for a couple days now, i do notice a slight sluggishness off the line, but this might be psychological.

I noticed it directly on the Jetta which is a small 1.4 with a stick. Noticed something's not quite right, then more and more I said to myself "they put the wrong oil in". And fuel mileage tanked big time.

Then I finally verified they used bulk 5W40. I read the label on the tank.

The VW Dealer lied to me when I asked them MULTIPLE TIMES If they put in 0W20.

I had to get the Service writer to put in my Motul. The Techs wouldn't do it.

They were standing around like a bunk of street thugs as I "witnessed' My oil going in.

Next time, I'm going to wear my .45 on my hip and see if they give me attitude.

The best oil ever in this car for general operation was whatever the Factory put in .

Mexicana De Lubricantes, S.A. De C.V. AKRON Spitzen?

You need to report that to Volkswagen of America. When I was working at the dealer they told me VWOA would bring in cars with a burnt light bulb, a smearing wiper, a low tire, etc. The dealership would get in trouble if the techs didn't catch the stuff.

Im sure VWOA would love to fine this dealership for not using the correct oil in the new cars.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

After more extensive driving today there is absolutely a difference. The vehicle is significantly more sluggish on the 0W-40. It's not something that would bother me if i drove it with this oil from day one (i wouldn't know the difference), but having experienced VW508.00 from new, I can't help but make a distinction. I will probably do yet another change this weekend with the VW oil kit i got from the dealership today and donate the slightly used 0W-40 to the community lawn caretakers.

Originally Posted by NuttCase
Basic oils with a high stability and excellent viscosity temperature characteristics (or high viscosity index) are used in fuel economy oils, meaning that the oil does not become too viscous at high temperatures.Â

I assume that should read too thin

Yes, that's another one of several typos or misconceptions in the OP's source. The source states at least 3 times that 0W-16 is more viscous than 10W40. Really makes me wonder if the OP even read the source.

At this pace he might close in on oil and ATF having dye (and that's silver dye in my goatee) … ðŸ§

Originally Posted by MolaKule
Sooo, this author is now just discovering that some oils may contain markers and "tracers?"

Has Zirconium been used long as a marker? Asking because this information is new to me.

There are other links here-in discussing other benefits such as improved wear characteristics over zddp and LSPI mitigation.

Apologies for the initial source material as it does contain suspect information. But the overall take concerned VW using this substance as a marker in their VW508 0W-20 which has been voiced in other materials.

Back