ZF 8 speed fluid change questions.

I've seen in some places that the transmission itself has to to be completely level, but then other places (the ZF document or that video of ZF representatives) where there is no consideration of the levelness of the transmission.

Is this something that others have paid attention to?

I've seen in some places that the transmission itself has to to be completely level, but then other places (the ZF document or that video of ZF representatives) where there is no consideration of the levelness of the transmission.

Is this something that others have paid attention to?
Fundamentally, fluid level cannot be accurately measured if the unit is not level.

Fundamentally, fluid level cannot be accurately measured if the unit is not level.
Makes sense. I've seen a picture of a green card of some kind saying how important it is, but the ZF procedure doesn't mention it. Is ZF trusting people too much? :D

Is the trans temp gauge accurate enough or would a scanner read temperature elsewhere that is more appropriate?

They probably assume that the shops get it level

And if you're DIYing it, you probably have decent enough knowledge to know that

Any chance you’ve used the mityvac to pull fluid out through the full hole?

Was browsing some pan off pictures and I’m not sure if it’s possible.
Your pan does not have a drain plug?

It’s worth pulling the pan.

Also, I’m somewhat intrigued by this tool:

Your pan does not have a drain plug?

It’s worth pulling the pan.

Also, I’m somewhat intrigued by this tool:

It has a drain plug but it’s practically useless because of an exhaust crossover pipe. (PPE even says the exhaust needs to be at least loosened to install their pan) I’m thinking through future changes. I want to change the filter soon and I’m thinking of only keeping Lifeguard 8 in it until about 100,000 miles just in case of any “good will warranty” needs lol

Was planning on having a local guy that I use for stuff I don’t want to do handle the filter because of that exhaust mess (he’s also the only guy who’s given me any level of confidence in changing this pan). But if I could use a Mityvac or something similar to pull fluid out of the fill hole, I would do that myself a time or two to get a higher percentage of fresh fluid.

After 100k, maybe change over to HPL Green. But I’d want to get as much of it to be HPL as possible. So at that point it would be either evacuation or a PPE to make it reasonable. Rod Knock gave me some good tips for switching to the PPE pan.

Your pan does not have a drain plug?...........

I don't think the OP ever specified what engine he has in his 2014 Ram 1500 because that makes a big difference in the 8spd drain plug access. Pentastar powered has clear access to the transmission pan and drain plug. Each exhaust pipe runs down the length of the transmission and joins together beyond the trans. Hemi powered has a x-over pipe about an inch below the drain plug.

Last edited:
It has a drain plug but it’s practically useless because of an exhaust crossover pipe. (PPE even says the exhaust needs to be at least loosened to install their pan) I’m thinking through future changes. I want to change the filter soon and I’m thinking of only keeping Lifeguard 8 in it until about 100,000 miles just in case of any “good will warranty” needs lol

Was planning on having a local guy that I use for stuff I don’t want to do handle the filter because of that exhaust mess (he’s also the only guy who’s given me any level of confidence in changing this pan). But if I could use a Mityvac or something similar to pull fluid out of the fill hole, I would do that myself a time or two to get a higher percentage of fresh fluid.

After 100k, maybe change over to HPL Green. But I’d want to get as much of it to be HPL as possible. So at that point it would be either evacuation or a PPE to make it reasonable. Rod Knock gave me some good tips for switching to the PPE pan.
I would stick with the ZF Lifeguard fluid. I’m personally not fully confident in some of testing being done by additive suppliers; I’ve been burned before, though not for this particular application.

Back