Dodge Durango 8HP45 transmission filter change - pictures

wwillson

Staff member
I changed the 2014 Durango transmission filter today on the 8HP45 8 speed. This is the first time the filter has ever been changed in 161,750 miles. That may seem like an excessive number of miles for the first trans filter change, but it's fine. First, the trans has had fluid spill and fills every 20k miles since new. Second, when you look at the filter pictures, you'll see that the "filter" is nothing but a very thin rock strainer. Most of the material appears to fall off the filter and settle to the bottom of the pan when parked. You can see some debris caught in the corners, which appears to be non-metallic clutch material. Would I recommend going 161k miles between filter changes? My opinion is *IF* you are doing spill and fills, then yeah, 150k is fine, but if you don't to spill and fills, then you need to change the filter and fluid more often. This transmission discolors the fluid fairly quickly. The fluid runs at 200°F all the time, a component of the fluid could be oxidizing or it could be clutch material or both. The last spill and fill was 20k miles ago and the fluid had a grayish tint, as you can see in the pictures. There were some fairly large metal flakes in the pan, the magnets were pretty filled, and there were a LOT of very small flakes that made the bottom of the pan look sparkly. I replace the filter with an OEM, notice the exact same part number, but no drain plug, as they no longer make a pan with a plug, grrr. The only bad thing about the drain plus is that the fitting is raised about 1/4" so you never get that fluid or the sparklies out of the pan. At $225, which is Bill's cost, the pan/filter is expensive. The engineer that placed cross members over the front and rear bolts of the pan should have to remove and install these pans until they beg for forgiveness. I don't have a close quarters 1/4" drive T40 swivel socket (anyone have a suggestion where I can fine one), but you can bet your life the next time I do this pan in 20k miles, I will. I did use my close quarters hex drive ratchet and a short T40 bit, but even that was a real chore with almost no room to maneuver.

The new fluid is HPL's LV cold climate trans fluid. The trans always shifts better after a spill and fill, this time is no exception. The shifts were becoming pretty stiff, with new fluid the shifts are much smoother.

IMG_2678.JPG

IMG_2675.JPG

IMG_2674.JPG

IMG_2682.JPG

IMG_2689.JPG

IMG_2698.JPG

IMG_2699.JPG

IMG_2692.JPG

IMG_2703.JPG

Last edited:
Is there room for a remote AT filter? I have them on two of my Volvo 240s. It might be easier than dropping the pan every 20,000.

Sam

I don't have a close quarters 1/4" drive T25 swivel socket (anyone have a suggestion where I can fine one), but you can bet your life the next time I do this pan in 20k miles, I will. I did use my close quarters hex drive ratchet and a short T25 bit, but even that was a real chore with almost no room to maneuver.
I own a set of these:

You can buy an individual:

The 8HP75 on my truck uses a T40, surprised that yours is a T25.

Reactions: JTK
Thanks for sharing this. I don't think I've heard on anyone who's done such aggressive drain/fills on these and it's good to know the drain plugs on these pans can take multiple uses without leaking/breaking.

Most zf8 owners freak out over the prospect of having to perfectly level the pan rail and get to a specific ATF temp for proper level checking or an anvil will immediately fall on your head.

Did you get about a gallon of ATF out with every d/f?

Not that it would matter much, but you probably could have extended the interval another 5K-7.5K miles w/o issue, 10K might have pushed it a bit. I think if I were to go the route you did, I would have paid up on the first change and got a pan with a drain plug. IIRC they do exist.

Reactions: JTK
That is some aggressive regime. But the amount of the clutch material and metal flakes is actually quite minimal for a 160k mile pan, probably thanks to your drain and fills.

Did you try locating the cooler lines on this vehicle and do a cooler line exchange? That may be a good solution, since the new pan doesn’t have a drain plug.

Did you try locating the cooler lines on this vehicle and do a cooler line exchange? That may be a good solution, since the new pan doesn’t have a drain plug.
No, tell me about how to do a cooler line exchange.

Last edited:
Why not get a 6pt 1/4 universal/swivel (in 1/4 drive), and just put a quality Torx bit in it?
I have a 1/4" swivel, but by the time you get the socket on it, the whole assembly is too long.

No, tell me about how to do a cooler line exchange.
You basically disconnect the cooler return line, put a length of clear, vinyl tubing on it, put the other end into an oil container, start the engine in park and let the transmission pump out the ATF. You will probably get close to a gallon before you see bubbles, then you shut the engine off and top off the ATF. I do it until I see clear ATF flowing through the tube, which is around the total ATF capacity of the transmission.

Here is how I did it on my Grand Caravan. In my case the lines are super easy to access on the transmission. Not sure how the access looks like on your Durango.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/2015-grand-caravan-super-easy-atf-exhchange.275419/

Excellent quality tools.

Back