YouTube - I'm out...

So with YouTube putting the clamp-down on ad-blockers, I'm officially unsubscribing from my 130+ channels. I'm making a point to notify each and every channel creator that I'm out, with the understanding that it is not related to their content, but due to YT new rules. The # of ads just makes these channels unwatchable.

If the ad revenue was shared with the channel creators, that would be one thing, but the ad revenue is sucked-up by the Google gods exclusively.

It's probably a good thing anyways - need to cut down on screen time and keep a healthier lifestyle.

have you tried ublock origin with opera? I get no ads..
now on the phone youtube is unusable.

Definitely good to cut down on screen time.

On the one hand I get that the ads support the creators, but like stated most of it goes to Youtube, and the ads have become so intrusive. If they were like a podcast where most of the ads are at the beginning of the video and are 30 seconds long, fine, but I've watched 5 minute videos that had 7 minutes worth of ads. Then the creator finishes up the video asking you to subscribe to their donation page or become a Youtube member of their channel for even more money. I've been using Brave and haven't looked back.

So with YouTube putting the clamp-down on ad-blockers, I'm officially unsubscribing from my 130+ channels. I'm making a point to notify each and every channel creator that I'm out, with the understanding that it is not related to their content, but due to YT new rules. The # of ads just makes these channels unwatchable.

If the ad revenue was shared with the channel creators, that would be one thing, but the ad revenue is sucked-up by the Google gods exclusively.

It's probably a good thing anyways - need to cut down on screen time and keep a healthier lifestyle.
How do you think the content creators make money off of ad revenues?

Every ad you watch gives a percentage to the channel creator starting around 18 cents per ad.

have you tried ublock origin with opera? I get no ads..

Running it with Chrome and no issues or ads on YT.......... or anywhere. Including here and the many other forums I'm on.

1698183561171.jpg

I've been using ublock origin on Edge, and every few days I have to go the Dashboard under Filter lists and purge all caches and then update.

There's an old saying in marketing. If you aren't paying for the product you are the product.

Everything on the Internet should be for free. Creators shouldn't get paid (by ads)) and just support the "common cause" for those of us that have nothing better to do!
I shouldn't have to put up with adds on my 130 (whew) channels!
Unbelievable.....................

Everything on the Internet should be for free. Creators shouldn't get paid (by ads)) and just support the "common cause" for those of us that have nothing better to do!
I shouldn't have to put up with adds on my 130 (whew) channels!
Unbelievable.....................
We agree

Boo hoo waa wah waaa

Google is denying service if you don’t watch adds on their loss leader

If you have not gotten the warning yet, you will. They are rolling it out slowly. I had it show up on my main account about 2 weeks ago, and my secondary account 3 days ago.
I have tried Chrome, Firefox and Brave with a variety of blockers, they all get caught and I am still blocked.

For some reason, if I go to a private window in Brave, then log in to youtube, I am ad free again for a few days, then it gets blocked. I just close that session of Brave and log into a fresh private session, log it, and it works as it should.

My other option is to log in to a VPN as if I am in india, and get Youtube premium for like $2/month.

Its circumstantial for everyone. I finally broke down and got YT Premium Family early in the pandemic. For not much extra, my family of 5 enjoys ad free viewing with no ads regardless of device (particually apple which isnt friendly with adblockers). It also comes with YT music which is pretty much anything I want. I have learned so much information from others on YT it has paid for itself many times.

YouTube creators do in fact make money off the ads, YouTube keeps 45% the creator gets 55%. If you get 100k views you can earn a decent chunk of change, ~$500-$2,500 depending on subject/watch time/engagement etc.

YouTube premium users “pay” the creators you watch even more than Adsense does.

Will you throw a hissyfit if you had to pay to use internet service or watch cable TV? Oh wait. You DO have to pay for those services. Why would youtube be any different?

Back