Your vehicles in snow

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the Hakka R2s on, the Jeep is pretty unstoppable in the snow, especially once you go for 4wd in the deep stuff. In 2wd, some wheelspin will happen at times and the rear end isn't exactly held down with superglue, but it's very driveable, very well balanced, etc.

Tires are 235/70R16, a bit bigger than the stock 225/70R16s.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lawman1909
My CR-V did great in snow/ice. No problems at all. And it stayed in FWD the entire time, never used the AWD system.

How do you know AWD wasn't active?

Wife's car does well on it's Yoko Avids...

The sumitomo's on my Balt are now so-so....but they are coming up on half worn....

My current work truck is 2wd with an open rear, its a special kind of [censored] in the snow.

Which is why its on the chopping block for replacement.

With snow paws on the Vics are unstoppable. Ive never had a problem. Winter has been super light this year, but Ive almost plowed snow in the CVLX before and it has a 2.73 open. Sometimes Ill pop it into manual 2nd to get going easier (4R70W will actually hold 2nd and not do a normal 1-2 like some others) but thats it.
I did have trouble in one spot last year with worn out Perelli P6 on the CVPI after I smoked the trans on the CVLX and had to drive it all winter. It was just ok mostly, but I got stuck on the driveway trying to back into the garage once. I would hit the bump that had built up at the garage door and the rear would shift. My door is small, only about 1-2 inches on each side of the mirrors so I would have to renegotiate. Well, ended up getting stuck. The Traclok wasnt helping, just grinding; too little torque to bind the clutches. (This was right after I had rebuilt it too. I had debated ordering the higher preload F150 clutch spring, but since I thought my brother might drive it, I didnt want it too aggressive.) I tried stomping on the park brake to get some more bias, but Ive never been able to get that adjusted right so it wasnt helping either.
But, since I was at home I had all the tools there so I got it out. Just an annoyance, mainly.
Now it has the Altimax Arctics and its awesome. Sometimes it will kick out which is helped along by the tracloc, but its very controllable, and letting off the throttle will cause the rear to hook back up almost instantly. Very fun.
Had it happen accelerating up a hill, hit some black ice and the butt kicked out. I let off the throttle and it straightened up. I was able to ease back into it and continue up at the 20 or 25 I was already at when it lost traction.

Well, I live in CA and have driven in snow MAYBE 5 times in my life. Mostly on well groomed roads in Big Bear or around other ski resorts. That being said my civic would fare horrendously with it being so low. Three inches of ground clearance isn't conducive to poor road conditions. My truck on the other hand I feel would do ok. It's 4x4 and I could get some snow tires on it. At the least the all terrains on it would be better than the hankooks on the civic.

I used to have a 1990 Chevrolet Corsica back in high school (bought in 2003), this car was a BEAST in winter... many times I would be in trouble in deep snow (or thought), but it would push right through. 18 inches of snow, no problem for this car. In fact, one time I drove into the ditch (on purpose) into deep snow, drove for a like 300 feet, stopped, went reverse and drove out of the ditch up a steep-ish driveway approach.

My 2003 AWD CRV is excellent on ice and deep deep snow. It has trouble with hard packed drift snow, however, with it's open diffs.

Originally Posted By: rslifkin
With the Hakka R2s on, the Jeep is pretty unstoppable in the snow, especially once you go for 4wd in the deep stuff. In 2wd, some wheelspin will happen at times and the rear end isn't exactly held down with superglue, but it's very driveable, very well balanced, etc.

Tires are 235/70R16, a bit bigger than the stock 225/70R16s.

A 5.9 with a 2wd option transfer case sounds really fun haha. Did you do an NP242 swap?

Originally Posted By: Miller88
They have a front biased distribution. I have a 3/16'' steel winch bumper with big unibody tie-ins so mine's a bit more front heavy.

The upside is, they'll climb like a mountain goat!

My friend's XJ has the NP242 t-case and a Spartan locker in the rear. That thing will really climb anything and go anywhere haha.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
A 5.9 with a 2wd option transfer case sounds really fun haha. Did you do an NP242 swap?

Yeah, it's got a 242 in it. Only problem is that I can't go WOT in 1st with the snow tires on, they'll just melt when it grabs 2nd.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
My current work truck is 2wd with an open rear, its a special kind of [censored] in the snow.

Which is why its on the chopping block for replacement.

Try a set of snow tires. My truck might be the WORST possible snow vehicle: a short-wheelbase, high-torque, 2WD pickup. With a set of Glacier Grip II's, it has no trouble at all!

My Mazda6S has only been in snow once. Couple of times in sleet 6"+ deep. We get ice.

It went 120 miles a day the 2011 ice storm with 18" Fierce Instinct tires. The guy who normally works that shop could not make it in his Grand Cherokee with M/S rated Michelins.

On the ice, the traction control is a little overzealous. I have to turn it off if I want to get moving.

A cop in a Tahoe almost hit me sliding through a redlight (I had the green) He regained control, pulled in behind me with his lights on as we began to climb a hill.
To [heck] with it. I am not stopping until we are at the top of the hill. Crested the hill and he has fishtailed around to around about a 45° angle halfway up.
I didn't bother to stop at the top of the hill either.
He was probably trying to pull me over to tell me that I wouldn't be able to make it up the hill.

My 1996 Mustang was the worst car I have ever owned in the ice. You couldn't go and if you somehow managed to get moving on the ice you couldn't stop or steer. So much for the superiority of RWD.

Even my Suzuki Swift on the cheapest $13.99 Western Auto tires was better. It would get caught in the ruts like a slot car and it was so light you couldn't get out. You had to get up to a dangerous speed, in a car with the crash integrity of a wet cardboard box, and bang your way out. It sounded terrible with the wheelwells packed in ice trying to slam it's way out of the ice, but when it all melted two days later, it was fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back